CPL General

Interesting.  Could argue the discrimination in either direction, younger/older, if it really does happen and I have my doubts that is even possible.  

Are CPL rules generous enough (for want of a better phrase) that should a non-Canadian residing in Canada still quality as a domestic player under certain circumstances?  Refugee status, perm. residency, that sort of thing.  That would be the one portion of the population that I would worry for if the decision was made to put up age based restrictions. 

If the CPL wants to throw up roadblock against internatiional players I don't think new, or soon to be new Canadians, are the intentional target of those sorts of rules.   

There are two wins separating 3rd from 7th. I think that's a pretty balanced league. No surprise that Cavalry and Forge are a cut above the rest as they have the owners with the deepest pockets. I think they're just as good as the Fury, who I'd love to see join the league in a couple of years. The baseline has been set and now we can start tracking metrics on a season per season basis.

Edited by Initial B

On 10/18/2019 at 4:38 AM, Cheeta said:

Interesting.  Could argue the discrimination in either direction, younger/older, if it really does happen and I have my doubts that is even possible.  

Are CPL rules generous enough (for want of a better phrase) that should a non-Canadian residing in Canada still quality as a domestic player under certain circumstances?  Refugee status, perm. residency, that sort of thing...

The domestic player category covers everybody with citizenship or PR and refugee status as they are all part of the Canadian workforce regardless of what national team they may be aligned with. Foreign players are anybody who needs a temporary work visa so it's a lot easier to add an age requirement in that context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, SadOnMondays said:

Me too. York 9 looks like the have the most potential. I'm wondering if Cavalry and Forge will end up losing some players? I think that could potentially level the playing field. 

Borges is rumoured to have opportunities in the January transfer window.  He’s leading the league in goals and co leading in assists.  

Undoubtedly losing him would be difficult for Forge to replace and help bring them back to the pack.

I was at the TFC game last night (thrilling game, most fun I’ve had at a TFC game) and I kept thinking they would be much better with Borges on the wing.  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Borges is rumoured to have opportunities in the January transfer window.  He’s leading the league in goals and co leading in assists.  

Undoubtedly losing him would be difficult for Forge to replace and help bring them back to the pack.

I was at the TFC game last night (thrilling game, most fun I’ve had at a TFC game) and I kept thinking they would be much better with Borges on the wing.  

I was actually watching the game, and a few other TFC games throughout the year, and kind of wondered how Borges would fit in, I go back and forth about it. I sometimes feel he'd be a bit of a square peg and that TFC's wingers seem to be more about speed and "blind" crossing, whereas I feel Borges is a little more methodical and skilled. I think the difficulty Borges will face with another team is that he won't be the focus of the attack with another team and won't be given the flexibility he's given with the Forge. 

Borges gets a lot of his goals drifting in when the balls on the other side (also penalties).

The speed and blind crossing was driving me nuts last night because they lost possession so much.  3 times Benezet crosses into an area with no TFC players and 1 or 2 DC players.  Endoh similarly seemed to run down the field mindlessly and not look up until else was in trouble.

Borges does lots of runs, but I could easily see him linking up back and forth with with the CM or DB down the side.

I noticed a while back that there seemed to be more scoring in the Fall season than the Spring season. I decided to wait for the end of the Fall season to check the numbers. This also relates to what Clanachan was saying in that recent article that I think was posted in the new teams thread, an article by someone in Halifax I believe, where he talked about trying to raise the number of goals scored in the league.

Spring season 2.14 goals per game

Fall season 2.75 goals per game

Combined 2.53 goals per game

For a point of reference, since we love to compare ourselves with Americans, MLS this season was 3.04 goals per game.

That's a nice bump up from Spring to Fall. Anecdotally I found the Fall season to have more entertaining games than Spring, but maybe that has more to do with my team (York 9) being 6th in the Spring and 3rd in the Fall.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's a nice bump up from Spring to Fall. Anecdotally I found the Fall season to have more entertaining games than Spring, but maybe that has more to do with my team (York 9) being 6th in the Spring and 3rd in the Fall.

I would agree, strictly my opinion but it did seem like there was more flow to the games I saw.  Which should be expected, but its still nice to see.  There werent many games that were painful to sit through, except when you are losing 8-0.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How on earth does he think they are following a European or FIFA model when they have an apertura and a clausura season and there is no relegation? How can he possibly think they do not have playoffs when they are forcing the Cavalry to play the Forge home and away even though they already won both seasons?

I'm not one of those to have a beef with you but on this one, I'll call you out and say you're being a bit petty.  Last time I checked Mexico & Argentina were in FIFA and they have an apertura and clausura.  I think it's okay to discuss the merits of no playoffs and a split season, but this has been season one and this is the North American market.  Discuss that instead and not the source of the discussion.

The part that's relevant to FIFA is the no relegation bit. Even if they reach 16 they only appear to be talking about splitting into two divisions rather than having promotion from below as is the normal way of doing things under FIFA.

https://medium.com/@terryblaw/does-u-s-soccers-league-set-up-violate-fifa-rules-ceec15f54244

...This system is not a mere gimmick. Indeed, FIFA has enshrined promotion and relegation in its rules. That is, FIFA statutes mandate that “entitlement to take part in a domestic championship shall” be determined by promotion or relegation based on “sporting merit.” And soccer’s world body has defended the concept with vigor, lauding it as the “very essence of football.”...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Even if they reach 16 they only appear to be talking about splitting into two divisions rather than having promotion from below as is the normal way of doing things under FIFA.

You're truly acting in bad faith. How many times does CPL needs to say it wants pro/rel for you to understand and stop beating at dead horse?

12 hours ago, Lofty said:

6. Play-offs are effectively "cup football". So have a knock out competition IN ADDITION to the league and you get the best of both worlds! Crown your league champions based on points and ALSO have a Cup Final to end the season. Two trophies would be GOOD!

excited lets go GIF