CPL General

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Good signing.  Not very offensive, but strong on the air.

Offensive as in scoring?? Or offensive as in your usual ESPN soccer loud mouth??  😉 Either way, glad to see him on board with the CPL.  

Note to the CPL Standings algorithm, CPL writers and OneSoccer commentators :

Cavalry are currently in first place. Not second. They have a game in hand on Forge so that puts them ahead. Yes, goal differential would otherwise place them second but only if they were even on games played. Or had played more games actually. 

50 minutes ago, Lofty said:

"Games played" is not one of the criteria for determining the current standings.

It may not be in the list of tie breakers, but that is presumably because it is assuming the season is complete and/or that the number of games is equal. 

It makes no sense to say that Forge is ahead when Cavalry could leapfrog them with their make-up game. Ask Wheeldon Jr. if Cavalry are behind. Ask Smirniotis if Forge are ahead. Baseball makes it explicit with GBL Games Behind Leader (and because baseball games can't end up tied).

3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

It may not be in the list of tie breakers, but that is presumably because it is assuming the season is complete and/or that the number of games is equal. 

It makes no sense to say that Forge is ahead when Cavalry could leapfrog them with their make-up game. Ask Wheeldon Jr. if Cavalry are behind. Ask Smirniotis if Forge are ahead. Baseball makes it explicit with GBL Games Behind Leader (and because baseball games can't end up tied).

So does that mean if 2nd place has a game in hand are within 3 points (for example, 2 points back), they should actually be called first place? If Cavalry were to lose their next game, in your scenario Cavalry would go from first to second and Forge from second to first, even though Forge didn't play a game. Is that really any better? And yes, I know that with the GD tie breaker in the system you are opposed to, a team can move into first place without playing a game as well.

No league gives a team hypothetical points for a game in hand. At most you say Forge are in first via a tiebreaker, but Cavalry have a game in hand.

6 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

You could tell from the first post you were a baseball fan trying to make something fit that simply does not. 

Nowhere in the world are standings in football set out by % wins, ever. We are smart enough to figure things out and don't need what you are proposing, which is ridiculous: a points table with teams with lower points on top? Please no.

I've never seen a league with more than 3 games difference, except MLS of course which is the absolute worse and they do help by putting points per game totals so you can compensate their poor scheduling policy--which having this "****" playoffs, as Ibra says quite rightly, you need to give some emotion to an otherwise meaningless regular season table.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Just noticed that the CanPL now has an official import beer,  Estrella Damm.

Moosehead is carrying it on their catalogue and must be distributing it in Canada, under some sort of agreement.

My personal opinion is that it is the absolutely worst Spanish beer available, there is nothing below it. I hardly ever drank it as it gave me an immediate headache, probably from some additive stabilizer or anti-oxidant. 

They are one of the top standard trade beers in Spain, along with Cruzcampo, Mahou, San Miguel, all of which are superior. Even their own high test (Voll Damm) and other products are much better. The gluten free Daura is quite good, the bottled IPA. 

I can slag it all I want, I happen to work with the people designing the brand packaging for export, and also taps for British pubs, but I am not sure for the Canadian market.

As many figured it would as the CPL grows, the salary cap going up for 2020 and possible introduction of a DP type rule is good news. Quality and stature of the country's Division 1 Canadian Premier League will continue to rise just like the MLS did for the United States.

Will be exciting to see how the CPL has grown in 10 years from its somewhat humble beginnings.

From the article :

"Here it’s all first level, the courts, the stadiums, the training sessions. They did well from the beginning and you can see that it is going to grow. We played two weeks ago against the Montreal Impact of the MLS, for the Canadian Championship, and we were eliminated by a penalty, so there’s not that much differerence."

The burgeoning league has been criticized for not revealing the ceiling height the salary cap it imposes on each Canadian Premier League club, which has been rumoured to be under a million dollars. Interestingly, Gattas indicates that not only is salary cap going to go up in the 2020 season, but the league may implement a designated player-type system akin to the MLS which would allow one (and, in the future, more) players to exceed the salary cap:

"Look, the league started with some budgets, I don’t know the amount, like the MLS, the same for all the teams. Next year it’s going to go up and the idea is that one player per team can get out of that budget, then two and grow, to bring those figures who come back, but have a name and attract the public."

Edited by CDNFootballer

Was no one listening when they did that pre-launch cross country tour, taking the pulse of the grassroots as it were?

No, for Gawds sake no.  Raise the cap as is deemed fit but no effing DP rule.  Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be, keep a player a player.  No hyphen or prefix necessary.  Enough of this Nanny State crap.  Just trust the clubs to do what they feel is right by them and let them compete.  

I hate to be a debbie downer, but the part about the cap growing doesn't mean much without knowing how much it will go up. If it is 2 or 3%, that's just a standard raise for employees in any business to offset inflation. If it's 5%, 10%, then that's significant.

It's still nice to hear. I'd rather a more aggressive expansion of the salary cap than a DP rule, but at the same time, it would be pretty cool to see Hutch in the league even if it meant he had to come in under a DP rule.

9 hours ago, Macksam said:

I’m actually ok with a DP player rule... for the short to immediate term that is.

This is me dreaming but getting Pavel Nedved or Totti out of retirement would have me like....

excited family guy GIF

I think it would do more harm than good to resuscitate a career that ended 10 years ago.