CPL General

10 hours ago, Cheeta said:

If you EVER threaten a Valour player again....

My comprehension must be going downhill. First I didn't get what Matty was saying, now I don't get this one. Explain the joke. Was it just that it should have been "the Valour player with the best number..."?

34 minutes ago, Kent said:

My comprehension must be going downhill. First I didn't get what Matty was saying, now I don't get this one. Explain the joke. Was it just that it should have been "the Valour player with the best number..."?

It was a bit obscure. I took it to be jocular disrespect to the quality of VW, as in "we are threatening to give you a VW".

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Besides the reported CBC Broadcast deal and One soccer subscription package announced and ready for purchase,

Hoping for a airline carrier and hotel sponsor! This would be huge for the league on the financial side, have the teams in good position moving forward 

This was the major reason the old CSL folded, travel and accommodation expenses were just too high, this would eliminate a good portion of the costs

Edited by Blackjack15

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Besides the reported CBC Broadcast deal and One soccer subscription package announced and ready for purchase,

Hoping for a airline carrier and hotel sponsor! This would be huge for the league on the financial side, have the teams in good position moving forward 

This was the major reason the old CSL folded, travel and accommodation expenses were just too high, this would eliminate a good portion of the costs

I don't know the details, like how many years of the league's existence, but it's worth noting this about the old CSL.

"The league received sponsorship from Air Canada, Foster's Lager, Hyundai, and Gatorade."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_League_(1987–92)

44 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Hard to believe this league will make money on day 1, but looks like Halifax will, is imagine Hamilton and Winnipeg are also sold out ?

i don't think their in the black. all reports have said they know they're going to lose money. even with partnerships, it's very likely the league doesn't break even on operating costs.

Edited by matty

39 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Hard to believe this league will make money on day 1, but looks like Halifax will, is imagine Hamilton and Winnipeg are also sold out ?

Valour are being sold out by the Bombers but I'm not sure that is what you meant.

Best estimate on season ticket sales for Valour is probably 2,850-ish. Home opener still has lots of seats available but the "optimal price point" ones are all gone. Probably looking at around 7,500 or so right now. Third home match against Forge on a Thursday night is wide open in all sections: my guess is around 4,200 tickets sold right now (just eyeballing the TM screen).

12 hours ago, matty said:

i don't think their in the black. all reports have said they know they're going to lose money. even with partnerships, it's very likely the league doesn't break even on operating costs.

There were couple that said the league was being set up to be profitable from day 1.

between Marcon, Nike, West Jet, Volkswagen and Media pro surely the league isn’t going to be in red, and they have sponsors that are going to be announced.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

There were couple that said the league was being set up to be profitable from day 1.

between Marcon, Nike, West Jet, Volkswagen and Media pro surely the league isn’t going to be in red, and they have sponsors that are going to be announced.

cash might not be trading hands between the league, clubs and sponsors. for example westjet would likely be providing a discount but teams using them would still have to pay for services. nike and marcon are also big questions about whether they're paying the league or just providing goods.

given that we're 2 weeks from kick off and some teams are reporting low season ticket sales and no one knows what the story with onesoccer is, i'd say there's a good chance the league loses money this year (the league is still stable)

1 hour ago, matty said:

cash might not be trading hands between the league, clubs and sponsors. for example westjet would likely be providing a discount but teams using them would still have to pay for services. nike and marcon are also big questions about whether they're paying the league or just providing goods.

given that we're 2 weeks from kick off and some teams are reporting low season ticket sales and no one knows what the story with onesoccer is, i'd say there's a good chance the league loses money this year (the league is still stable)

Yeah, I’d expect most of the clubs to lose money for the first few years. That’s normal for new businesses. I just hope that they manage to get to the black sooner than later. If they’re able to have even slight growth in viewership and attendance year on year, it should work out. The costs are pretty low, so it’s not a huge ask to get the clubs into profitable territory within a few years. That’s why I think it’s so crucial that they’ve kept salaries and such down to start with. 

15 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't know the details, like how many years of the league's existence, but it's worth noting this about the old CSL.

"The league received sponsorship from Air Canada, Foster's Lager, Hyundai, and Gatorade."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_League_(1987–92)

Yes, it was Foster's Lager that brought down the league?

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

A few owners are up there in age so will be interesting to see what happens once they move on..baldassarra 70+ young 65+..pass down to family, sell, fold...

I wonder if it’s in fact Baldasara himself, or his company Green Park that owns the club. I’d wager it’s the latter, in which case it’s not necessarily the case that any change would occur after he’s out of the picture (hopefully many years from now). 

20 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I wonder if it’s in fact Baldasara himself, or his company Green Park that owns the club. I’d wager it’s the latter, in which case it’s not necessarily the case that any change would occur after he’s out of the picture (hopefully many years from now). 

But would the company want to own it?  Not at all uncommon for companies to liquidate businesses that aren't part of their core.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

But would the company want to own it?  Not at all uncommon for companies to liquidate businesses that aren't part of their core.

Who knows. I think it’s probably a good tax write off for them though. So many hypotheticals here really, not much point in worrying about it. The company could keep the club, it might be twenty years from now and a big success... maybe someone else buys it and keeps it in York Region. Anyways, let’s hope Baldasara lives long and prospers.

I'm not sure why, but I expected a lot more out of this Dominican camp. I thought there would be trialists for those clubs that haven't signed their foreign quota; and that the clubs would play a few friendlies each against clubs from the Dominican League. Maybe all this did happen behind closed doors, but I don't understand the secrecy. Based on Instagram and Twitter it seemed like more of a marketing trip to get lots of photos in the sun. Did Pacific FC even play a match?

Seems like a bit of a waste of limited resources in the end.

At least some friendlies against Dominican teams definitely seem to have happened, so maybe some of the teams have simply kept the results under wraps given they don't really matter? Preseason games can be tough to watch sometimes at all levels, because they are often used to try different formations and test out who can what, so they may not have been keen on bombarding social media with images of less than stellar soccer. The trip was maybe seen as a way to try to get close to midseason form at launch to be able to make a good first impression.

Think the only team that still has multiple signings to make is Pacific FC. The rest appear to be at or one away from a full roster, if it's a limit of 20 senior players + 3 U-Sports. The recruiting and tryout phase was probably more the month or so spent in their own cities and they maybe didn't want to be paying airfares and accommodation for guys they don't wind up signing.