CPL General

3 minutes ago, shorty said:

Is it possible that Hamilton have their coach in place but haven't announced? They obviously have to have someone representing them in Toronto this week at the coaches' summit. Saw a picture online of Anthony Totera with Alex Bunbury at the summit and wondered if it could be Bunbury. I suppose Bob Young or someone else could represent them but that seems weird. 

I had the same thought when I saw that. Even if he's not Hamilton's coach, he seems to be involved in the league in some official capacity.

I think at this point it's almost certain that Hamilton has hired a coach, but the team is waiting for a good time to announce.

2 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

I completely agree with you on the first paragraph, which is why its unfortunate. All I am saying is if I am making 30,000 CDN as a 25 year old substitute for York 9, I am definitely going to need a part time job / winter job to afford to live (or have a rich GF / parents).

Not to mention, if I have a University degree I could easily be making 60,000-70,000 at most full time jobs so players might consider that option as well

Hopefully it works out, if I was good enough I wouldn't leave my full time job to make 30k in the CPL it would be way too hard to make ends meet

Have to admit that I'm a bit puzzled as even Montagliani and Beirne said that CPL will be the kind of league where players can make a living as a soccer player.

Until the league comes out with final numbers, I'm taking this Facebook post with a grain of salt. It contradicts what was said by the league and journalistic sources so far.

Looking at the pools:

Pool 1 Foundationals won't come to CPL for anything below 50k I would think

Pool 2 Up and coming youth: All you need is to match what they are making elsewhere or/and beat what they make in USL which shouldn't be hard

Pool 3 Home territory: they should be making whatever the minimum will be. 

Pool 4 College and University: Same as above

Pool 5 Open market: This will cost $$$

Edited by Ansem

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It doesn't contradict what Martin Nash was said to have told a member of the Southsiders a few months ago about the cap being viewed as too low to compete effectively with USL and it also fits a recent direct quote from Pacific FC's main investor about wanting the salary cap to be under $1 million.

Even with the $1M figure, its above USL

4 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Monster.com estimates the AVERAGE salary for CFL is $50K

That's a bit below the CFL minimum, not the average. The salary cap is $5.2 million. I know there are a lot of CFL haters out there, and yes the TV contract is massively important to the CFL and may not be repeatable, but the league is one that CPL can aspire towards in terms of salaries, attendance, TV viewership, etc. CFL contracts have many shortcomings and teams can play around with having players on reserve list, injury list, etc. which I hope is not something that CPL would follow. The link below provides information on the collective agreement and also shows that certain numbers like "average salary" aren't all that meaningful (in the CFL context).

https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/

9 minutes ago, RickC said:

That's a bit below the CFL minimum, not the average. The salary cap is $5.2 million. I know there are a lot of CFL haters out there, and yes the TV contract is massively important to the CFL and may not be repeatable, but the league is one that CPL can aspire towards in terms of salaries, attendance, TV viewership, etc. CFL contracts have many shortcomings and teams can play around with having players on reserve list, injury list, etc. which I hope is not something that CPL would follow. The link below provides information on the collective agreement and also shows that certain numbers like "average salary" aren't all that meaningful (in the CFL context).

https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/

I think that's what CPL wants to achieve too. That would be CPL 2.0. 

Milton had said in a podcast that CPL was MLS 1.0 and seeing some of the early salaries when MLS started , that would be accurate. He also noted that it wouldn't take CPL 20 years to become "MLS 2.0", which would be in line with CFL numbers.

i don't know about attendance due to some stadiums being quite small, but TV is realistic over time.

This isn't a sprint but a marathon

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I think that's what CPL wants to achieve too. That would be CPL 2.0. 

Milton had said in a podcast that CPL was MLS 1.0 and seeing some of the early salaries when MLS started , that would be accurate. He also noted that it wouldn't take CPL 20 years to become "MLS 2.0", which would be in line with CFL numbers.

i don't know about attendance due to some stadiums being quite small, but TV is realistic over time.

This isn't a sprint but a marathon

Agreed. I imagine a lot of players are currently under contract and couldn't sign with CPL next year anyway.

By having a heightened salary cap in the first couple years, you risk overspending on lesser quality players and setting a poor precedent

10 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

MLS minimum salary THIS YEAR is $54K and that's with 20-30,000 and up stadiums

Monster.com estimates the AVERAGE salary for CFL is $50K

A CPL minimum $50K doesn't seem realistic, especially in year one.

Right from the CFL website, where they give details of their CBA - min salary in 2018 is $54,000

https://www.cfl.ca/2014/06/13/new-five-year-cba-ratified-by-cfl-and-cflpa/

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Add in the free healthcare as well, don't think it will be difficult signing away Canadian players or players in general from the USL to play in CPL with a $750-$1m cap.

Forecast, mass migration towards the north.

The healthcare not being covered was really surprising.

I don’t think this has been pointed out yet but there was another person mentioning 8 teams for 2019 today. This time it was Cavalry coach Tommy Wheeldon.

http://canpl.ca/video/cpl-coaches-eager-to-expand-player-pool-for-canadian-national-team

“Then, you’ve got the launch of the CPL, with eight clubs in 2019 and then more clubs there in 2020, it’s just more places for Canadians to grow.”

11 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Add in the free healthcare as well, don't think it will be difficult signing away Canadian players or players in general from the USL to play in CPL with a $750-$1m cap.

This is the sort of statement that will soon be tested out by reality and may not be so easy to make this time next year. I suspect this will be true to a certain extent but not so much with the players that the top independent USL clubs are willing to throw some money at and not so much with players that MLS clubs are interested in developing for a year or two such as those that will be on TFC II's roster. The problem with a $750k salary cap would be that the league would be setting itself up to be a development league rather than one of the desired eventual destinations to make some serious coin in the eyes of the players, while at the same time having deliberately shut itself off from having that sort of developmental function where MLS is concerned. Things would be a lot more interesting on the MLS vs CanPL dynamic with salary caps of $1.5 million and up where there would be some prospect of Canadian players that would be on the fringes in MLS and CMNT terms earning into six figures as starters in CanPL.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

9 hours ago, matty said:

Posted this in the York 9 thread but figured I'd post here. I've seen several Tweets about this over the last 24 hours (none from the team). Seems official. Is this the first sponsorship? I can't recall another

304683810_2018-05-1018_33_09.thumb.jpg.70abcebc594b726b5277606c9d9f21c5.jpg

It's not a new sponsorship at least; the New Roads logo was on their car at the launch.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

304683810_2018-05-1018_33_09.thumb.jpg.70abcebc594b726b5277606c9d9f21c5.jpg

It's not a new sponsorship at least; the New Roads logo was on their car at the launch.

They're not new but this is the first time it appears to be something beyond a one off thing and have some kind of formal statement. Just wondering if it's the first to have any kind of statement made.

Overview of the league meetings held this week: http://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-clubs-executives-wrap-three-day-toronto-coaches-summit

"Agenda items for the three-day coaches summit included club licensing requirements, CPL officiating and an introduction to scheduling and preseason arrangements.

The final day of League Meetings included presentations that touched upon league rules and the on-boarding of players.

Coaches also were introduced to future mechanisms by which they’ll have the option of adding to their rosters."

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Just saw the Atiba video on CPL's youtube channel as well (without sound at work, will have to rewatch). Nice to see him helping the league out even though he isn't involved with a team... yet.

Imagine if York 9 becomes the sugar daddy club....when he finally comes home, Atiba convinces Quaresma and Negredo to sign with us.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

Imagine if York 9 becomes the sugar daddy club....when he finally comes home, Atiba convinces Quaresma and Negredo to sign with us.

I just liked that comment but don’t get me thinking like that :)