CPL General

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 9:56 AM, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Are you involved with the York9 SG?  

No. But I will support the York 9 team.

... until the Toronto City Slickers down town team is announced in 10 years ?. Should be a good rivalry! 

15 hours ago, BradMack said:

I could see them adding CPL soon if they want to add teams for the CCL. Right now a big problem in Fifa is that playing career as an MLS team is pretty boring, wit only the MLS cup and US open cup to play for. If youre a Canadian team the Vcup isnt even in there. If they added CPL and the 3 Costa Rican giants and maybe Tauro or someone like that, they could have a real CPL and VCup.

Also if they just want to expand Concacaf, it will be much easier for them to do the CPL than any Central American league just because of the language barrier and ease of access to information.

They have added worse leagues in lesser football nations, I’m sure there would be some sort of push to include the league as it would serve as promotion for the league.

3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

No. But I will support the York 9 team.

... until the Toronto City Slickers down town team is announced in 10 years ?. Should be a good rivalry! 

or maybe York Region Shooters join CanPL. Hahahah

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Is the CSL dead yet?

I hate to give their website the view, but I just checked and it looks like it's still happening (or maybe they are just faking the games for the bookies). 9 teams involved in the first division (second division is 8 "B" teams).

The CSA would pull an absolute master class to have CPL in FIFA 20 and I don’t think it’s that far fetched. It’s actually a must.. you get that in and it does more than anything done up until now marketing wise and the level will be around the same as other leagues already in the game so no reason not to.  It would separate CPL from the lower US leagues to the casual fan which is exactly what we need.

Edited by Keegan

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The CSA would pull an absolute master class to have CPL in FIFA 20 and I don’t think it’s that far fetched. It’s actually a must.. you get that in and it does more than anything done up until now marketing wise and the level will be around the same as other leagues already in the game so no reason not to.  It would separate CPL from the lower US leagues to the casual fan which is exactly what we need.

It's pretty clear to me that Beirne and Clanachan understand the relevance that FIFA has had in the growth of the sport's popularity and literacy in the under 30/40 crowd, they have referenced it in multiple interviews. I don't doubt that they are making what efforts they can to get it done

AFTN discusses the latest on CPL on their latest show (about a half hour, starting around 56 minutes in)

http://aftn.ca/episode-269-the-aftn-soccer-show/

-say the lack of news on Fraser Valley team is stadium issues.  Also said it appears it will be built from scratch, not adapting an existing facility.  They know some of the proposed stadium locations (mention some possible locations but I'm not local so goes over my head)  As usual being local in the bubble they know more than they are saying

-local rumours have Nick Dasovic as a possible coach.  They then mention other ex-national players who might be interested (but there aren't specific rumours for them)

-Not CPL related really but Rob Friend just opened up an indoor/urban soccer center in Vancouver

-talked Victoria, they like the potential stadium site. Mentioned good for them to travel to, right off a highway from where they'd be coming from

Edited by Rheo

37 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Article on Ryan Telfer's path but highlights the need for the CPL in the developmental pyramid

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/ryan-telfers-long-journey-to-toronto-fc-shows-how-and-why-canadian-talent-goes-missing

Great article but I have to question the struggle Chapman has faced.. the guy has had a pretty clear path to the pros and gets praised for very minimal things on MLS website. 

The Young Gaffers pod has interview with Derek Martin talking about Halifax and go over the Cavalry FC announcement

http://www.theyounggaffers.com/episode-130-from-c-to-sea-cavalry-fc-and-an-interview-with-haligonian-derek-martin/

Nothing really newsy in the talk with Martin (not shockingly with the announcement this week)  Couple of things though 

-It's a really good discussion though on the relationship between owner and supporters groups, importance of community and the building of unique culture and traditions.

-Stadium construction starts beginning of June and takes ten days

Edited by Rheo