Sign in to follow this  
Complete Homer

Quebec City CPL

I’d love to go to a Quebec City away game. It’s always been a place I’ve wanted to visit for the weekend.  Maybe a Via trip from Hamilton to Quebec for a weekend.  I think it would be a top destination.

Actually no matter how you slice it Quebec is the best next addition to the league.  It gets us another major market, creates rivalries for Halifax and the Impact (in V Cup play) as well as exposure to an important province.  They are undoubtedly the best next choice for a franchise.

Ottawa goes without saying, but the main stumbling block beyond the Fury is a suitable stadium and in its absence the land and finances to build one. If other cities are serious for 2020 stadium moves should start to surface in the not too distant future like they did previously in Surrey and Saskatoon. Has there been any word where a Quebec City team would play their games?

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

...but permanently marked fieldturf and heavy U-sports and other university related use late in the season. I hope and strongly suspect based on where they are playing at launch that they will never compromise on the question of having Canadian football lines visible during games. If Peps stadium is going to be used in 2020 the thing to watch for is a new unmarked playing surface being installed next summer

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...but permanently marked fieldturf and heavy U-sports and other university related use late in the season. I hope and strongly suspect based on where they are playing at launch that they will never compromise on the question of having Canadian football lines visible during games. If Peps stadium is going to be used in 2020 the thing to watch for is a new unmarked playing surface being installed next summer

Agreed. That would make CPL look very bush league and would turn a lot of fans away. I highly doubt they've even considered playing with Football lines on the field.

20 hours ago, Alex D said:

Replacing field turf would be much cheaper than building a pop up. 

Interesting note: rather than swap out the turf field for grass for 2019 for PFC, the turf lines will be removed and replaced with green turf. 

20 minutes ago, ted said:

Interesting note: rather than swap out the turf field for grass for 2019 for PFC, the turf lines will be removed and replaced with green turf. 

Is the long term plan grass? I could have sworn the Pacific FC plans included a grass pitch

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Is the long term plan grass? I could have sworn the Pacific FC plans included a grass pitch

Yes. As I understand it, they want to do the grass when they do the removal of the Hydro pole and add the fourth stand for 2020.

Posted (edited)

TONS of information to share about this article from this magazine. Since everything is in French, I'll gladly summarize the the main points.

Source 

• Jean Gandubert, Former President and Director-President of Quebec Soccer Federation and former Adviser to the Federal Sport Ministry. He is now the Strategic Advisor to the investors being the liaison between them and the Regional Association, CSA and CONCACAF
  • Pierre Marchand, Soccer Quebec President

Who are the Investors

Confidential but they have VERY deep pockets and capable of covering the losses of others due to the pandemic (not sure what he means by that, but take away is RICH!)

• The ownership seems to be a mix of individuals and companies
  • They have been talking with the league since summer 2019 but talks have slowed down due to the pandemic
  • Talks have already happened between the investors and Quebec City mayor

Stadium:

• The goal is the construction of a new soccer specific stadium smaller than Laval University stadium which has been deemed too big and would look empty with a bad atmosphere which is vital for Quebec City to work
  • There's been no information given to city departments for building a stadium yet.

CPL Women's League

• CPL are interested in a Women's League but the focus is to develop/grow the current league at the moment.
  • Eva Havaris, Vice-President of the league operations and strategic VP at CSB (according to LinkedIn) is said to be aiming for that league to become a reality

Future of the PLSQ?

• CPL wants to acquire PLSQ like it did League 1 Ontario

Provincial Leagues or Regional Leagues?

• Provincial leagues had seemed to be the destination for CPL reserve teams but the NEW goal is to have 3 minor leagues in Canada (East, West & Central) just like the CHL and like the CSA wanted in their previous strategic plan
  • PLSQ's structure will be completely revamped to integrate this model
  • Plans are already underway to lead towards a merge PLSQ-L10 league for as soon as 2021 (COVID slowed down the talks)
  • The format and league structure to be determined. There should be a "co-commissioner" for Quebec to reflect the French contribution
  • Soccer Quebec President would not be involved in the league but would like to make sure that teams have Quebec players and teams are mostly under 23. Discussions have already taken place and it seems everyone agrees with these conditions.
  • Moving towards the model of a developmental league is vital to attract young promising players pointing out that Montreal Impact never loaned anyone to PLSQ due to the league being too low in quality and structure
  • The goal would be to add Atlantic Canada teams to this "Eastern League" but Quebec-Ontario is the priority
  • Clubs will have to fit this structure financially and have the proper infrastructure using the word "professional" (This might mean that not all L10 or PLSQ teams might make this league at launch)
  • Confirmation that BC are working towards a league

Foreign investors?

• Other Quebec markets including Montreal are being explored, no investors have been revealed
  • Altetico Madrid's arrival has changed the landscape. There will be attempts to try and leverage interest from French clubs in investing in CPL via the FFF
  • CPL is currently trying to get European investments into the league, not necessarily for Quebec but he mentioned Toronto as a possibility

You guys are welcome! 🙂

Tips accepted 🤑

Edited by Ansem