Did Santos on CPL

Rheo

I look forward to the next Dos Santos article titled Dos Santos on smoking: it's bad for you followed by Dos Santos on drinking and driving: limit it to one beer only followed by Dos Santos on pot legalization: it should be regulated....somewhat followed by the masterful conclusion Dos Santos: My opinion on things mirror the concerns of others.

8 hours ago, Rheo said:

Figure these links should get their own thread although if I'm wrong let me know. Anyways nothing earth shattering here but good nonetheless 

https://the11.ca/dos-santos-on-canpl-it-cannot-be-an-amateur-league-that-we-call-professional/

I think he's right though. If the level and/or appearance of this CPL anyway resembles PDL, it doesn't stand a chance. That's also why I'm surprised about talks of Victoria and K-W entering the league. Level should at least be USL and these groups don't have the cash for that (nor the fans btw).

Stupid autocorrect, missed that it changed Dos lol.

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

I think he's right though. If the level and/or appearance of this CPL anyway resembles PDL, it doesn't stand a chance. That's also why I'm surprised about talks of Victoria and K-W entering the league. Level should at least be USL and these groups don't have the cash for that (nor the fans btw).

How do you know they don't have the cash for it?  Even if they don't at present how do we not know they aren't trying to line up investors.  Why must people assume the worst (other than it's a message board lol)

No one is arguing that.  What people have said, here and elsewhere, is that all of the indications and noises coming from CPL insiders seem to indicate that things really are being lined up behind the scenes, and that there are solid backers interested in getting in on the ground floor.

It is true that a less-than-USL league would be doomed.  But I have seen no evidence whatsoever that is where CPL will land.  And in regards to the two markets being discussed, a lack of information does not constitute information about a lack of financial wherewithal.

Haters gonna hate.  Cynics gonna cynic lol (and for the record not anyone in particular, just in general)

Everything I've seen so far from the people running the league is that they know what they're doing.  They're controlling the information flow to shape the narrative they seem that fits best.  When you're outside of the bubble this is all new information.  Also having someone like Beirne spreading the word now that they've gone public seems like a great choice.  In the couple of interviews I've heard/read since the launch he just seems like the right guy.

5 hours ago, shamrock said:

You don't know KW. Sorry. We do.

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I think that many people who will go to CPL matches will have never even heard of USL. And I think the initial standard of play in the CPL matters a lot less than some people are implying (it obviously needs to be better than PDL though -- and it will be).

Agreed.  I'm not saying that the play isn't going to be important but I think it's being overblown a bit.  The most important factor is  going to be the atmosphere at the game. Showing people how much fun the supporter experience is.  I know that's how I got hooked and obsessed and that's where we come in...

I am not sure why people are so worried about KW and Victoria. They have a decent fan base for the level they play (KW=350, Vic=1600-720). That fan base is expected to grow with the prospect of playing on a national level. And really, Halifax doesn't even have a team to base their opportunity off of... I have faith that KW and Victoria can support a team. Obviously, they need investors and proper marketing, but the opportunity is there. Victoria (although it isn't the largest city) has a lot of wealth which makes for a good opportunity to support a team. The Tri-City area is the 10th largest metropolitan area in Canada (they aren't exactly poor either). Both area's should be able to support a team.

9 hours ago, shamrock said:

There was an article just last week that had Barry McLean (KW United) saying he was looking for more investors. So I think it's fair to say that more financial muscle is needed for CPL teams than what is needed for PDL teams.

Archived