lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

People have been arguing that the finances between MLS and CPL constituted a major roadblock to a future decision to have Canadian clubs compete in Canada only.

"Parity" isn't really the norm in soccer, so assuming that the massive disparity between the 3 clubs and the rest of CPL budgets would be considered in a sanctioning decision is highly doubtful. Such disparities has always existed in most leagues.

However, "if" and "when" the time comes for the CSA, CPL and the 3 clubs to have a sit down (I'm thinking 2028-2029 due to Mediapro deal ending), the 3 clubs will want to do business as usual (spending). The league will have to decide then if they will be allow to do so or not, I'm of the opinion they should.

That was just the amount each team paid on the transfer market this summer. Atletico Bilbao paid nothing as they kept their core and bring up academy players, all Basques. They are the only team along with Madrid and Barcelona to never have relegated, since 1929 when the league began. Bilbao is a top 6 team in Spain. I think you were looking at the wrong indicator of financial disparity.

That said, I think that the best way to entice an MLS club into CPL would be to get a CPL club not only eliminating an MLS club in a competition (already happened), but drawing fans in numbers also equivalent to MLS levels. If you can get 12-14 thousand out regularly in Hamilton or Winnipeg, then you would be able to say that the league could guarantee equivalences. 

Our stadiums are actually designed, apart from those two, to not create any equivalence with MLS at all. They actually say CPL does not want to rival MLS, as I see it.

I personally believe the CPL has to be bold enough to set up teams in the MLS cities and make them work, including trying to draw fans away from the MLS teams. Just go head to head, modestly, but in a way that is more effective than the messy stadium start at York9.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That said, I think that the best way to entice an MLS club into CPL would be to get a CPL club not only eliminating an MLS club in a competition (already happened), but drawing fans in numbers also equivalent to MLS levels. If you can get 12-14 thousand out regularly in Hamilton or Winnipeg, then you would be able to say that the league could guarantee equivalences. 

That's not really relevant to their bottom lines. The only thing they care about is their bottom line. They care if their attendances, merchandise sales, sponsors and season tickets numbers at the very least stays the same for the most parts or increases while costs go down

They are very aware of the boost they would provide to other markets and the league as a whole...which they would raise in potential negotiations 

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Our stadiums are actually designed, apart from those two, to not create any equivalence with MLS at all. They actually say CPL does not want to rival MLS, as I see it.

I personally believe the CPL has to be bold enough to set up teams in the MLS cities and make them work, including trying to draw fans away from the MLS teams. Just go head to head, modestly, but in a way that is more effective than the messy stadium start at York9.

I think it's smart to start small then expand than occupy empty oversized stadiums. Let's not forget how Saputo and BMO field looked like when they started.

220px-Stade_Saputo.jpg

That's why, from my perspective, I always talk post 2026. York9 should have a different stadium situation, Halifax a more permanent structure and hopefully Edmonton will have a better setup.

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, Raven said:

Have a listen. Re: Moncton CPL

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-26-information-morning-moncton/clip/15734149-pitching-for-a-pro-soccer-team-in-moncton

Also...mentions a 10 team league next year: 2 Quebec 1 Ontario...st ens of interview.

And (incorrectly) mentioned that Halifax's stadium holds 10,000. Good to see that something is happening in Moncton but it doesn't sound as though these guys have any money behind them. But it is a start. At least 3 years out, IMHO, assuming investors can be found.

I think that comments from Clanachan indicating we will probably not see any expansion in 2020 are more likely to prove accurate.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's shite. Stadium size is simply a result of recognizing of where these teams are at the moment and existing infrastructure, not an indication of where these clubs hope to be in the future. Nobody is going to invest an irrecuperable amount until they know how the league will be received. 

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

The only thing they care about is their bottom line. They care if their attendances, merchandise sales, sponsors and season tickets numbers at the very least stays the same for the most parts or increases while costs go down

Don't forget costs and the revenue generated from selling an MLS franchise. It's all about predicting where the market is going, and I think a growing number of Canadians are becoming interested in CPL

Edited by Aird25

Giant spit ball here... I wonder if Ron Toigo and Michael Buble are involved? Toigo is old school Canada so I doubt he has much interest in soccer but Buble is a big soccer fan. Just a thought 

Buble is from Burnaby.  Has no links to Fraser Valley.  Can only think that Ron Toigo, Rob Friend and probably one more investor are leading the charge in Langley.  Will be interesting to see how crowds get there as the rumoured skytrain expansion to Langley and Willowbrook won’t complete until 2025.

Toigo doesn't either and at first was visibly annoyed by being driven out to the Valley. But the Giants are starting to do well out there and Langley is a great place to do business. Toigo would be the active owner anyways. Just a thought

39 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Buble is from Burnaby.  Has no links to Fraser Valley.  Can only think that Ron Toigo, Rob Friend and probably one more investor are leading the charge in Langley.  Will be interesting to see how crowds get there as the rumoured skytrain expansion to Langley and Willowbrook won’t complete until 2025.

Likely by car, as most drive in the area/suburbs. There's already lots of parking at the roughly 5300 seat arena that's on the LEC site, and its just a few minutes off the freeway. Probably the club will run a shuttle as well from Surrey on game days.

5 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Likely by car, as most drive in the area/suburbs. There's already lots of parking at the roughly 5300 seat arena that's on the LEC site, and its just a few minutes off the freeway. Probably the club will run a shuttle as well from Surrey on game days.

There is an express shuttle that runs from right there to braid skytrain. I know a lot of Whitecaps fans who use it to get to games

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Giant spit ball here... I wonder if Ron Toigo and Michael Buble are involved? Toigo is old school Canada so I doubt he has much interest in soccer but Buble is a big soccer fan. Just a thought 

I'm the same age as Buble and we grew up relatively close to one another in Burnaby. I have no recollection of him playing any youth football growing up. He definitely wasn't at either of the big North Burnaby clubs (Cliff Ave and Norburn/Burnaby Heights). I suppose he might have been at Wesburn, even if it was a bit further from home, or he might have developed a love of the game strictly from watching.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm the same age as Buble and we grew up relatively close to one another in Burnaby. I have no recollection of him playing any youth football growing up. He definitely wasn't at either of the big North Burnaby clubs (Cliff Ave and Norburn/Burnaby Heights). I suppose he might have been at Wesburn, even if it was a bit further from home, or he might have developed a love of the game strictly from watching.

He married an Argentine and him and his family are often at the Whitecaps games. Kinda like Aqualini, I dont ever recal his family being involved with footie but his ex is Italian Italian and as a result I heard he got in to footy because his kids are crazy in to football

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm going to trust the supporter who's been active with them over Glass City here.

In what sense? Zachary’s tweet doesn’t contradict Glass City, only calls it premature. Do you think it’s not a “done deal?” 

23 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

In what sense? Zachary’s tweet doesn’t contradict Glass City, only calls it premature. Do you think it’s not a “done deal?” 

Yes.  From the sounds of it, it's not a done deal.  Glass City has the habit of preferring to be first rather than being correct.

All the way through the CanPL saga people have been doing that, so posters online have been led to believe things were two or three years ahead of where they really were. The hold up will probably be on the stadium approval and who pays for it. Good to see investors are not being scared off by the norm on actual crowds being closer to 3000 than 8000.

Isn't any kinda information outside of the league and team officially announcing considered pre mature? Isnt that the whole point of the tweet? And isn't someone in the know calling it premature actually then confirming the information is correct but saying the information is being released premature to when people actually wanted the information released.

Just curious, has anyone done a deep dive on the copyright thing lately for clues on anything new? I’d do it myself but have no clue how and have seen it posted here before lol. Thanks