CPL new teams speculation

16 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m still holding out hope that we get the 2 Quebec teams plus Ottawa next year.  That would be really great.  

It's actually Saskatoon that appear to be furthest along on this given Ottawa are rumoured not to have given notice of leaving the USL where next season is concerned and there's no reason to expect CONCACAF to block their playing out sanctioning next year after setting the precedent by approving it this year. I'd take the Quebec stuff with a pinch of salt until we get solid info on investors and stadium plans. Even then K/W who had the former and Surrey who had the latter are cautionary tales that it doesn't always work out on the anticipated timeline.

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

I would not. Except for some kind of monetary punishment (which is limited) there's nothing the league can do to prevent a club owner from losing money. In fact, it's almost inevitable in a fledging league like the CanPL to see some contractions. 

The owners to be most wary of on this are any with dollar signs before their eyes that genuinely expected the league to be averaging 6000-8000 paid straight away and/or any that had inflated expectations on what soccer fans would actually be willing to pay in terms of ticket prices. Think what we have seen so far should be mildly encouraging to anyone who knew the lie of the land where pro soccer in North America is concerned. Having Tom Fath in the league meetings will probably helped inject a dose of reality in that regard. The salary budget is rumoured to have been drastically lowered, so they probably have already adjusted their expectations appropriately based on what they were seeing in terms of memberships last summer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

24 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's actually Saskatoon that appear to be furthest along on this given Ottawa are rumoured not to have given notice of leaving the USL where next season is concerned and there's no reason to expect CONCACAF to block their playing out sanctioning next year after setting the precedent by approving it this year.

They have 6 months to give notice. It was shorten. 

Last year was about CONCACAF ruling less than a year from the USL season. CONCACAF could block them at the end of this season and be on time.

The rest of your post is just meh

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Leval team apparently announced tomorrow. Quebec city team apparently experiencing some minor issues so an announcement has been delayed.

Actually it is not referring to Québec City, is is referring to an announcement Tuesday for a first Québec team being announced for Laval. 

The team would not have any relationship with Impact.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually it is not referring to Québec City, is is referring to an announcement Tuesday for a first Québec team being announced for Laval. 

The team would not have any relationship with Impact.

But he adds comments on his Twitter about Quebec City and says it's more complicated. More so due to the city itself, less so due to the stadium

Edited by Ansem

if an announcement was happening the league would send out a press release to media to attend the event.

Sounds like someone jumped the gun on a source.

Which leads me to believe where there is smoke there is fire. They are close.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, Ansem said:

They have 6 months to give notice.

Most such legal agreements have some kind of force majeure clause ... I'd think CONCACAF not licensing them would cut the minimum notice period!

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

if an announcement was happening the league would send out a press release to media to attend the event.

Sounds like someone jumped the gun on a source.

Which leads me to believe where there is smoke there is fire. They are close.

Very true however we don't know what this "announcement" will entail. It could just be a media release announcing the group and their intentions with a few details and date later in time at which more information will be released. Or it could be a full blown press event.

39 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No announcement today. Not surprising considering how many times Bunbury has said an announcement was coming and then... nothing.

Creating a bit of a buzz about it both online and in the media to a certain extent may be the point of this particular exercise.

On May 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM, baulderdash77 said:

I’m still holding out hope that we get the 2 Quebec teams plus Ottawa next year.  That would be really great.  

That would really help the map in the sense of the gap between York and Halifax. Also to bring it to 10 teams, the remaining clubs could from SK (2), BC (1), NB (1), NFLD (1) and ON (1 or 2) 

- Fraser Valley/Vancouver Metro [Surrey]* or Kewlona

- Regina and Saskatoon 

- Missisauga, Tri-Cities, or London 

- New Brunswick (Moncton)

- St John's

* The likelier option

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

In my *ideal* 2020 season we would have Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City and then in an ideal 2021 season we would have Saskatoon and GVA.

That would be an almost perfectly distributed 12 team league getting into all the largest media and business markets from coast to coast.

+1 

GVA is Greater Vancouver Area? Aka Surrey?

Edited by Blackjack15

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

In my *ideal* 2020 season we would have Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City and then in an ideal 2021 season we would have Saskatoon and GVA.

That would be an almost perfectly distributed 12 team league getting into all the largest media and business markets from coast to coast.

I'd love to have them all join next season, but perhaps that's asking for too much. I do hope it's an even number of teams next season

I've been doing some thinking about how to implement a regional 2nd division in CPL and the problem I come across is that I don't think there are enough teams out west to do it. They can't even get a regional 3 division off the ground in BC or Alberta, they have to join USL2. Ontario and Quebec seem to have the majority of the I'm wondering if the plan is to build the footprint of soccer clubs out west (say 7 teams) in a 16-club CPL. The remaining teams will be in Ontario and parts east. I could see a second division solely comprised of eastern teams. If they institute pro-rel, only the eastern teams would be considered for relegation because if a western team was relegated, that would be a death sentence due to the loss of media revenue and ballooning travel costs. This asymmetrical format would have to continue until they get enough western teams to make it's own regional Div2, which might take 2 decades.

Edited by Initial B

40 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I've been doing some thinking about how to implement a regional 2nd division in CPL and the problem I come across is that I don't think there are enough teams out west to do it. They can't even get a regional 3 division off the ground in BC or Alberta, they have to join USL2. Ontario and Quebec seem to have the majority of the I'm wondering if the plan is to build the footprint of soccer clubs out west (say 7 teams) in a 16-club CPL. The remaining teams will be in Ontario and parts east. I could see a second division solely comprised of eastern teams. If they institute pro-rel, only the eastern teams would be considered for relegation because if a western team was relegated, that would be a death sentence due to the loss of media revenue and ballooning travel costs. This asymmetrical format would have to continue until they get enough western teams to make it's own regional Div2, which might take 2 decades.

Pretty sure D2 is expected to be national

19 hours ago, Initial B said:

I understand all the concerns you raised, but you can't have pro/rel where some teams are immune to relegation because of geography. That wouldn't work. Although I am half expecting for Forge, Valour, and FC Edmonton to be immune from relegation if pro/rel ever does become a reality.

I haven’t been following too closely, but I’m curious where things stand on new clubs? Which three-ish markets are front runners for the near-term, say 2020-2021? I’ve heard Laval, SK, and QC. What about in the mid-term, say 2021-2023? I’ve heard Moncton, Ottawa, GTA, and GVA. Is that about right?

1 hour ago, IAmPappy said:

I haven’t been following too closely, but I’m curious where things stand on new clubs? Which three-ish markets are front runners for the near-term, say 2020-2021? I’ve heard Laval, SK, and QC. What about in the mid-term, say 2021-2023? I’ve heard Moncton, Ottawa, GTA, and GVA. Is that about right?

For 2020 I'd lean towards Laval and Greater Vancouver expansion clubs joining bringing the league to 9 teams.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

For 2020 I'd lean towards Laval and Greater Vancouver expansion clubs joining bringing the league to 9 teams.

Thanks. So, this seems like a no brainer to me: The Roughriders could easily replica the Winnipeg and Hamilton models and put a team in Regina. What am I missing?

Those are only ready to go, if the owners are willing to rent at a reasonable price and either install unmarked fielturf or natural grass as is the case in Ottawa and Moncton.

It's not acceptable to have permanent CFL markings visible during a CanPL game, so Regina and Quebec City are problematic as things stand right now. There are solutions like paint and tiles but that might not be so easy to do when the season overlaps with the CFL and U-sports.

Halifax have shown that popups can be successfully installed and used for pro soccer so the lack of a suitable existing stadium isn't necessarily a problem if a municipality is willing to provide suitable land.