lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Relative populations is the obvious one. A good analogy would be that the Scottish league will never be as strong as the English one and if you took away the Old Firm clubs and a combined Edinburgh club from the SPFL and allowed them into the English system, you would have something similar to the CanPL vs MLS scenario. Does that mean there is no place for a CanPL? No, definitely not. We definitely should be striving to get pro soccer into Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, K/W, Niagara, Barrie, Sherbrooke, Moncton and St John's as well as Laval and Quebec City.

As long as some criteria is met.  Saw this article...

https://footballtoday.news/features/8-criteria-for-introducing-expansion-and-promotion

which could not have said it any better.  And I could add a ninth criteria: the ability to support coast to coast travel (travel costs)  I am NOT sure re: Kelowna, Barrie, or even Sherbrooke if they can cover or withstand travel coasts in a coast to coast league.  

The vision that is being articulated by Paul Beirne could easily take 20 years to unfold given how difficult it is to find or build suitable stadia. What's happening today in the various leagues across North America would have seemed farfetched to many people 20 years ago.

I was talking with someone from Saskatoon last week and the conversation turned to the lacrosse team. He said the reason it's so well supported is because it's a chance for the locals to drink and party, which they focus on moreso than the product on the rink. I wonder if that's how Joe Belan will pitch the idea to its citizens. He mentioned that Rider Pride was a whole other level. 

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

I was talking with someone from Saskatoon last week and the conversation turned to the lacrosse team. He said the reason it's so well supported is because it's a chance for the locals to drink and party, which they focus on moreso than the product on the rink. I wonder if that's how Joe Belan will pitch the idea to its citizens. He mentioned that Rider Pride was a whole other level. 

I was visiting relatives in northern Sask. and during discussion they told me that a lot of their friends and neighbours go to Rush to support Saskatchewan teams. I asked them if they would there be similar kind of support for a soccer team and their thoughts were there would be. For the trip I was asked to bring some TFC merchandise( asked for anything with a TFC logo) for some youngsters in their neighbourhood.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

The issue with the approach taken by the Rush is that pumping the music every 25 seconds and having that kind of constant party atmosphere doesn’t really work in a soccer context. At the SK Selects game, the DJ decided to play some music occasionally over the loudspeakers and most people just got annoyed. 

And Joe is very concerned with good atmosphere, but he wants good soccer atmosphere and that is not really compatible with what the Rush are doing. 

http://justesoccer.com/quebec/cpl-quebec-bientot-une-bonne-nouvelle-a-annoncer/

CPL Québec : « Bientôt une bonne nouvelle à annoncer »

23 mai 2019

En novembre dernier, Alex Bunbury clamait vouloir créer une voire deux équipes québécoises en CPL. Aujourd’hui, l’ancien joueur professionnel annonce que son projet est clairement en voie de se réaliser.

« Nous avons beaucoup travaillé pour rassembler toutes les pièces du puzzle et sommes très proches de l’aboutissement! » Alex Bunbury est parti de zéro et espère bien pouvoir lancer deux équipes québécoises en CPL la saison prochaine : « La vision concernant les stades, les investisseurs… tout est inclus. J’ai bien compris les exigences du cahier des charges de la CPL et je suis très optimiste pour la suite des événements. J’ai aussi bien compris que la province du Québec a besoin de deux équipes à ce niveau. »

Alex Bunbury veut d’abord une équipe à Montréal : « Le stade sera localisé dans le Grand Montréal. Je trouve l’aire de Laval assez intéressante. » D’ailleurs, le stade du complexe du Bois-de-Boulogne, où se trouve le siège de la FSQ, a été un temps évoqué. L’ancien international canadien poursuit : « Pour l’autre équipe, elle jouera à Québec City. Nous avons les joueurs et le staff pour offrir cela. Je voudrais tellement que la province ait ces deux équipes. Cela permettra d’avoir des derbies et le soccer en a besoin! » Alex Bunbury assure que l’issue de ce projet est proche : « On devrait pouvoir l’annoncer prochainement mais rien n’est sûr à 100% car il faut attendre le protocole de la CPL. »

Edit: in the first bolded part, the author says that Bunbury hopes to announce two Quebec teams starting in 2020 and then he quotes Bunbury saying the stadium and investors are all lined up.

The author is speculating a stadium at the Laval Multi-sports Complex

And Bunbury saying that they're waiting to announce the club(s) because of CPL protocol.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And Bunbury saying that they're waiting to announce the club(s) because of CPL protocol.

It sounds like things are moving in the background. They just want to make the announcement into a big deal.

They should announce both teams on July 1st. The last day of the Spring Season.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

It sounds like things are moving in the background. They just want to make the announcement into a big deal.

They should announce both teams on July 1st. The last day of the Spring Season.

That would actually be a really good day to make the announcement.

We would all love to have them sooner of course, but from a marketing perspective, that could be a great day for the CPL to trumpet Canadiana by announcing two/three more Canadian sides for our Canadian League that is for Canadians, by Canadians, etc.

I don't think they'll wait quite that long, but I could see an angle that would work by making Canada Day also CPL Expansion Day.

One then the other towards seasons end (Vs Cup final?).  If two for QC is a done deal it'll be the worst kept secret ever but think if you can get two quality headlines in the media it's not a bad idea to spread then around a little.  Get as much good press as you can.

3 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

That would actually be a really good day to make the announcement.

We would all love to have them sooner of course, but from a marketing perspective, that could be a great day for the CPL to trumpet Canadiana by announcing two/three more Canadian sides for our Canadian League that is for Canadians, by Canadians, etc.

I don't think they'll wait quite that long, but I could see an angle that would work by making Canada Day also CPL Expansion Day.

Ya.

They will probably stagger the announcements as well.

This way each team get's their own special day. Similar to how the first 7 teams were announced.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Ya.

They will probably stagger the announcements as well.

This way each team get's their own special day. Similar to how the first 7 teams were announced.

If there are 2 Quebec-sides, I can also see a UFC-title fight styled announcements of the two clubs, with the Owners facing off head-to-head to establish the rivalry.

That said, I expect it to be very drawn out, again. First we'll get one location, then another, etc. As they've already announced/leaked there will be new bespoke kits for everyone in 2020, they'll keep those for another fashion show, so we'll get to look forward to some renderings, a handful of early signings, maybe another location-specific round of trials, etc.

On the "bright"-side, I expect most of it will be streamed on OneSoccer. Because content. And I'm good with that move.

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I wouldn’t be holding my breath on Ottawa if I were you. 

If CONCACAF lets them off the hook and they can stay in USL we will see what happens. But if they don't , I can't see how the CPL can keep them out. 

37 minutes ago, Cblake said:

If CONCACAF lets them off the hook and they can stay in USL we will see what happens. But if they don't , I can't see how the CPL can keep them out. 

I don't think its a matter of CPL keeping them out, but a matter of if the Fury will :

1) Pay the entry fee which will likely be higher than the initial one for year 2

and

2) Agree to drop their being a minor league affiliate team which CPL doesn't (and should never) allow as Canada's Division 1 Pro league.

4 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

I don't think its a matter of CPL keeping them out, but a matter of if the Fury will :

1) Pay the entry fee which will likely be higher than the initial one for year 2

and

2) Agree to drop their being a minor league affiliate team which CPL doesn't (and should never) allow as Canada's Division 1 Pro league.

I don’t believe the Fury are a minor league affiliate.  Yes, there is an agreement with the Impact but the last time I checked, there were more TFC loanees than Impact ones - but don’t know if that’s still the case.  Anyways, I agree that entry to the CPL would require that agreement to be voided.

10 hours ago, Rintaran said:

If there are 2 Quebec-sides, I can also see a UFC-title fight styled announcements of the two clubs, with the Owners facing off head-to-head to establish the rivalry.

That said, I expect it to be very drawn out, again. First we'll get one location, then another, etc. As they've already announced/leaked there will be new bespoke kits for everyone in 2020, they'll keep those for another fashion show, so we'll get to look forward to some renderings, a handful of early signings, maybe another location-specific round of trials, etc.

On the "bright"-side, I expect most of it will be streamed on OneSoccer. Because content. And I'm good with that move.

If they want to get maximum press, they should do it during a CBC TV broadcast.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t believe the Fury are a minor league affiliate.  Yes, there is an agreement with the Impact but the last time I checked, there were more TFC loanees than Impact ones - but don’t know if that’s still the case.  Anyways, I agree that entry to the CPL would require that agreement to be voided.

The number of players as loanee's doesn't negate the agreement of Fury being the Impact's minor league affiliate, Ottawa may in fact be a double minor league affiliate with TFC as well with an agreement with them also seemingly in place :

"Toronto FC president Bill Manning says the club is working on an affiliation deal with Ottawa Fury FC that would see the MLS team lend players to the USL side."

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/toronto-fc-coach-says-argentine-forward-lucas-janson-may-not-be-back?fbclid=IwAR3BkeMtuBvMAOMNLIomot2vJ5bNpzAKCUQfL8vpvFVSEIKRefMWD7utxDs

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

No courts or organization can force a league to accept an ownership 

-NHL v. Balsillie.

Either the Fury comply with whatever CPL demands or no deal.

Edited by Ansem

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No courts or organization can force a league to accept an ownership 

-NHL v. Balsillie.

Either the Fury comply with whatever CPL demands or no deal.

But if the CPL does not want the Ottawa Fury in their league , then how on the other hand can they be told they can't be in the USL? I could very well see an injunction there. No court is going to take away an entity's ability to do business where no laws are being broken.

Who has more power here, CONCACAF or the CPL? That's the real question, because if they are told they have to play in the CPL, how can they not be allowed to play in it?