lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

6 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Is the Peps stadium in Quebec suitable for CPl?

Only with new unmarked fieldturf like they have in Hamilton and Winnipeg and even then the track would make it less than ideal. The use of York Lions stadium, which has way too small a playing surface for the pro level of the sport and an eight lane track, does show a willingness to use unsuitable stadia in the absence of better alternatives, however.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I couldn’t get through the second sentence.

I've blocked him and have not missed a thing, except, to be fair, he occasionally will post some other media source.

His reasoning is forced and mostly grounded in some peripheral falsehood, and almost every post has something in the range of cockamamie.

I am glad you quoted him though, all we had to do was read Barrie and Kelowna as his interpretation of where CPL is going to know it is better to  not read him at all.

3 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Re: Announcement from Alex this month To paraphrase the Cooper Brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deii6ucJQzQ   

I'll know it when I hear an official announcement (as it has been delayed several times) from Alex.

Before anyone gets up in arms here, I WANT to see a CPL team in Quebec and I WANT them to succeed.

Even Alex has admitted that Quebec could support 2 to 3 teams maximum in CPL.

I agree he has delayed announcements, but there are a few things to take into account. 

He is not a business person, his profile is another. He was brought in as a key person to promote CPL and was at all the trials, and is, amongst former Canadian nationals, the person with the closest in to the organisation. Perhaps along with Brennan. So he knows CPL.

He is gregarious and has a very positive personality, which is good for a plodding, sometimes overly bureaucratic country like ours. He's a good face for our game, and he is loyal and passionate.  I prefer his overstatements to the secrecy and conspiring we get from other places. I also think he may be happy to help a club get going, say in Québec, without having to have any personal stake in it. 

He is a mover and shaker and not an administrator, that is clear. If he did not have that team in Portugal, in Sintra, where he is a partner, and were not doing things for  Guyanese football, you would say it is all hot air. If he had not been involved as a manager in Minnesota. But since he is active, and seems to enjoy having his fingers in many pies (maybe too many), you have to accept that he is working to put things together. I am sure he is not going to sort out finances, or design deals, or do the numbers, but he is someone who can agglutinate those doing so.

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does an announcement consist of sitting on a couch saying a few bland things terminated with some monosyllabic high school French or will it amount to something a bit more substantial this time? The obvious question beyond that would be why Alex Bunbury would be the one making an announcement about Quebec City when his focus previously has only been on Laval? If anything, that suggests there is no clear would be lead investor there yet and this is still more about trying to smoke one out than anything else. Saskatoon appears to have a lot more steak than any of this, but understandable why the league needs to be seen to be prioritizing Quebec where team #8 is concerned. The optics of not having a Quebec team next would not be good.

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There is nothing wrong with trying to smoke out a suitable lead investor, so I am not shitting on Bunbury. Meanwhile in Saskatoon there actually is a known lead investor, a known stadium solution and a team that is playing a series of games in apparent preparation for a franchise launch. I've been posting plenty of positive stuff on here about that in recent weeks.

I probably shouldn't give you the benefit of the doubt here, but I recognize I could be wrong, you might not be referring to Bunbury with the "bland things terminated with some monosyllabic high school French". Having said that, to someone who hasn't watched many announcement videos, it very much reads like you are, which seems rather contradictory with your claim to not be shitting on Bunbury. 

Posted (edited)

...except I suspect somebody to actually pay for it, if we are still only at the stage of articulating the vision. Hope two lead investors enter stage right very soon to match what we already have happening in Saskatoon at the moment.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...except I suspect somebody to actually pay for it, if we are still only at the stage of articulating the vision. Hope two lead investors enter stage right very soon to match what we already have happening in Saskatoon at the moment.

Let's hope that it is part of the announcement.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Let's hope that it is part of the announcement.

First, as I said, Bunbury is very close to the CPL front office and operations. So his capacity to liason is high.

Second, someone has to help with the leg work, being mostly local investors, or investor groups, and municipalities with an interest in upgrading stadiums. Then local youth soccer and the Québec SA to back the initiative. It is plain stupid to harp about whether he's going to write up the legal contracts or do the financial due diligence--his virtues are different. Let someone else be dry and methodical, and let Bunbury bring on the synergy between the parts. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You are the one who is engaging in revisionist history. I have consistently been proven correct on here that things have not been as far advanced or anything like as high budget as some people have tried to claim or have advocated. 

Yes, I very much enjoy watching those MLS reserve teams play in our league.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

My theory on BBTB being a **** is starting to make more sense....I think we now know who ****** him.

Edited by Macksam

On 5/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The use of York Lions stadium, which has way too small a playing surface for the pro level of the sport

What are the dimensions of York Lions Stadium field?

USL has had a team playing on smaller field dimensions than USSF allows (OKC Energy field not meeting the 70 yard minimum as its 67 yards wide).

https://newsok.com/article/5555634/okc-energy-moving-forward-with-major-league-soccer-stadium-plans-after-co-op-acquisition-falls-through

MLS's NYCFC playing in Yankee stadium, although officially meeting MLS standards, Sporting KC’s head coach Peter Vermes is on record as claiming that the true field size is 106x68, below MLS minimum standards.

Columbus Crew and San Jose Earthquakes have in the past played on fields that were only 62 yards wide :

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/yankee-stadium-small-field-nycfc-mls

53 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Called it over a month back as soon as I saw a couple negative posts on the new board

Yes, I will give him effort for trying to re-brand, but if you’re tone doesn’t change much, what was the point? 😑

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

What are the dimensions of York Lions Stadium field?USL has had a team playing on smaller field dimensions than USSF allows (OKC Energy field not meeting the 70 yard minimum as its 67 yards wide).

Columbus Crew and San Jose Earthquakes have in the past played on fields that were only 62 yards wide :

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/yankee-stadium-small-field-nycfc-mls

Whoah.  Maybe sounds funny but it's amazing what 15-20 feet of field width can do to change the game.  Anyone who's played knows how true that is.  

One of the fortunate things about sharing the CFL grindiron  is that you're always playing on a 65 x 110 yard field. Sure, 70 would be nicer but I'm good with 65.  Maybe playing footie on a CFL field 25,000 times has conditioned me.  But 62 sound uncomfortably narrow.  The penalty area is 44 yards wide.  The defending players for a corner kick would have to be INSIDE their own penalty area! 

One of the unfortunate things about sharing the CFL gridiron is those deep endzones.  No end stands hugging the goal line there. ☹️ 

Posted (edited)

Having to use fields that are also used for Canadian football is one of the factors that limits soccer in Canada. If you play the game at an amateur level the games played at ethnic social clubs that are soccer only are always more enjoyable.

Beyond that on another matter when it comes to negativity on here about CanPL expansion, why were people not a lot more supportive when the Niagara CanPL thread was started recently and why is there not the same level of enthusiasm for Saskatoon as there appears to be for Laval and Quebec City? Where was the criticism for the "more sizzle than steak" negativity that has been directed towards Joe Belan's efforts in Saskatchewan, for example?

I suspect a lot of people on here are still a lot more enthused by the fantasy of having a high budget rival to MLS that mirrors the CFL in some way than the vision of a 16 team premier and eventual pro/rel with a second division that is being articulated by Paul Beirne and David Clanachan that sees the likes of Barrie and Kelowna rating a mention on expansion.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Having to use fields that are also used for Canadian football is one of the factors that limits soccer in Canada. If you play the game at an amateur level the games played at ethnic social clubs that are soccer only are always more enjoyable.

Beyond that on another matter when it comes to negativity on here about CanPL expansion, why were people not a lot more supportive when the Niagara CanPL thread was started recently and why is there not the same level of enthusiasm for Saskatoon as there appears to be for Laval and Quebec City? Where was the criticism for the "more sizzle than steak" negativity that has been directed towards Joe Belan's efforts in Saskatchewan, for example?

I suspect a lot of people on here are still a lot more enthused by the fantasy of having a high budget rival to MLS that mirrors the CFL in some way than the vision of a 16 team premier and eventual pro/rel with a second division that is being articulated by Paul Beirne and David Clanachan that sees the likes of Barrie and Kelowna rating a mention on expansion.

Barrie would be a cool place to put a team. I think that Barrie has really changed for the better over the least number of years. Nice little city now. 

As to the rest of you post, I’m not sure if that’s the case, at least I know it isn’t for me; I don’t view those things as necessarily mutually exclusive either. Why can’t our 16 club premier league with pro/rel eventually become competitive with mls? I don’t know anyone who expected it to right away, but why not eventually? 

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

...I don’t know anyone who expected it to right away, but why not eventually? 

Relative populations is the obvious one. A good analogy would be that the Scottish league will never be as strong as the English one and if you took away the Old Firm clubs and a combined Edinburgh club from the SPFL and allowed them into the English system, you would have something similar to the CanPL vs MLS scenario. Does that mean there is no place for a CanPL? No, definitely not. We definitely should be striving to get pro soccer into Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, K/W, Niagara, Barrie, Sherbrooke, Moncton and St John's as well as Laval and Quebec City.

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Relative populations is the obvious one. A good analogy would be that the Scottish league will never be as strong as the English one and if you took away the Old Firm clubs and a combined Edinburgh club from the SPFL and allowed them into the English system, you would have something similar to the CanPL vs MLS scenario. Does that mean there is no place for a CanPL? No, definitely not. We definitely should be striving to get pro soccer into Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, K/W, Niagara, Barrie, Sherbrooke, Moncton and St John's as well as Laval and Quebec City.

I guess I'm okay with the league being the Canadian version of the 'SPL' to the MLS. I do think that the top few clubs will eventually be able to compete with lower MLS clubs, but that's about all I realistically expect. 

We really don't know what the future holds.

For all we know MLS will implode.

They have a lot of hurting franchises and they may have expanded too fast.

What happens if the TV rights actually reflect viewership? MLS viewership in the US is dreadful.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We really don't know what the future holds.

For all we know MLS will implode.

They have a lot of hurting franchises and they may have expanded too fast.

What happens if the TV rights actually reflect viewership? MLS viewership in the US is dreadful.

Look at whats going on in the US.  Atlanta an Cincy are drawing tens of thousands of people and are turning those cities into soccer hotbeds.  There are about about 500 USL and USL-1 teams in the lower divisions with plenty of teams dying to get into MLS.  Comparing ourselves to or yearning to be the states is just silly. 

All the negative saysayers were wrong and the CPL has gotten off the ground without MLS reserve teams. The individual teams and owners need to handle their business, get asses in seats, put out a good product and buckle in for the long haul.  Some teams and owners are going to stumble (ticket pricing/marketing etc), but the buzz about new teams in SK and PQ make me optimistic that it will have the 10 teams that was talked about sooner rather than later.   Its still an exciting time to be a fan in Canada and having MLS next door doesnt need to take away from that.  

We can do similar up here on a smaller scale.  Find niche markets with a gap in the market and a love for soccer.  We’ve done that in Hamilton and Halifax despite Hamilton being next door to an mls team.  In fact, what is happening in southern Ontario is unlike anywhere in North America.  

There are more markets to tackle and more room for growth than in the USA quite honestly.   Competition up here is so thin, we have many relatively comparable cities that have absolutely no summer competition.