CPL new teams speculation

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You are the one who is engaging in revisionist history. I have consistently been proven correct on here that things have not been as far advanced or anything like as high budget as some people have tried to claim or have advocated. 

Yes, I very much enjoy watching those MLS reserve teams play in our league.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...except I suspect somebody to actually pay for it, if we are still only at the stage of articulating the vision. Hope two lead investors enter stage right very soon to match what we already have happening in Saskatoon at the moment.

My theory on BBTB being a cuck is starting to make more sense....I think we now know who cucked him.

Edited by Macksam

On 5/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The use of York Lions stadium, which has way too small a playing surface for the pro level of the sport

What are the dimensions of York Lions Stadium field?

USL has had a team playing on smaller field dimensions than USSF allows (OKC Energy field not meeting the 70 yard minimum as its 67 yards wide).

https://newsok.com/article/5555634/okc-energy-moving-forward-with-major-league-soccer-stadium-plans-after-co-op-acquisition-falls-through

MLS's NYCFC playing in Yankee stadium, although officially meeting MLS standards, Sporting KC’s head coach Peter Vermes is on record as claiming that the true field size is 106x68, below MLS minimum standards.

Columbus Crew and San Jose Earthquakes have in the past played on fields that were only 62 yards wide :

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/yankee-stadium-small-field-nycfc-mls

53 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Called it over a month back as soon as I saw a couple negative posts on the new board

Yes, I will give him effort for trying to re-brand, but if you’re tone doesn’t change much, what was the point? 😑

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

What are the dimensions of York Lions Stadium field?USL has had a team playing on smaller field dimensions than USSF allows (OKC Energy field not meeting the 70 yard minimum as its 67 yards wide).

Columbus Crew and San Jose Earthquakes have in the past played on fields that were only 62 yards wide :

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/yankee-stadium-small-field-nycfc-mls

Whoah.  Maybe sounds funny but it's amazing what 15-20 feet of field width can do to change the game.  Anyone who's played knows how true that is.  

One of the fortunate things about sharing the CFL grindiron  is that you're always playing on a 65 x 110 yard field. Sure, 70 would be nicer but I'm good with 65.  Maybe playing footie on a CFL field 25,000 times has conditioned me.  But 62 sound uncomfortably narrow.  The penalty area is 44 yards wide.  The defending players for a corner kick would have to be INSIDE their own penalty area! 

One of the unfortunate things about sharing the CFL gridiron is those deep endzones.  No end stands hugging the goal line there. ☹️ 

Having to use fields that are also used for Canadian football is one of the factors that limits soccer in Canada. If you play the game at an amateur level the games played at ethnic social clubs that are soccer only are always more enjoyable.

Beyond that on another matter when it comes to negativity on here about CanPL expansion, why were people not a lot more supportive when the Niagara CanPL thread was started recently and why is there not the same level of enthusiasm for Saskatoon as there appears to be for Laval and Quebec City? Where was the criticism for the "more sizzle than steak" negativity that has been directed towards Joe Belan's efforts in Saskatchewan, for example?

I suspect a lot of people on here are still a lot more enthused by the fantasy of having a high budget rival to MLS that mirrors the CFL in some way than the vision of a 16 team premier and eventual pro/rel with a second division that is being articulated by Paul Beirne and David Clanachan that sees the likes of Barrie and Kelowna rating a mention on expansion.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Having to use fields that are also used for Canadian football is one of the factors that limits soccer in Canada. If you play the game at an amateur level the games played at ethnic social clubs that are soccer only are always more enjoyable.

Beyond that on another matter when it comes to negativity on here about CanPL expansion, why were people not a lot more supportive when the Niagara CanPL thread was started recently and why is there not the same level of enthusiasm for Saskatoon as there appears to be for Laval and Quebec City? Where was the criticism for the "more sizzle than steak" negativity that has been directed towards Joe Belan's efforts in Saskatchewan, for example?

I suspect a lot of people on here are still a lot more enthused by the fantasy of having a high budget rival to MLS that mirrors the CFL in some way than the vision of a 16 team premier and eventual pro/rel with a second division that is being articulated by Paul Beirne and David Clanachan that sees the likes of Barrie and Kelowna rating a mention on expansion.

Barrie would be a cool place to put a team. I think that Barrie has really changed for the better over the least number of years. Nice little city now. 

As to the rest of you post, I’m not sure if that’s the case, at least I know it isn’t for me; I don’t view those things as necessarily mutually exclusive either. Why can’t our 16 club premier league with pro/rel eventually become competitive with mls? I don’t know anyone who expected it to right away, but why not eventually? 

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

...I don’t know anyone who expected it to right away, but why not eventually? 

Relative populations is the obvious one. A good analogy would be that the Scottish league will never be as strong as the English one and if you took away the Old Firm clubs and a combined Edinburgh club from the SPFL and allowed them into the English system, you would have something similar to the CanPL vs MLS scenario. Does that mean there is no place for a CanPL? No, definitely not. We definitely should be striving to get pro soccer into Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, K/W, Niagara, Barrie, Sherbrooke, Moncton and St John's as well as Laval and Quebec City.

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Relative populations is the obvious one. A good analogy would be that the Scottish league will never be as strong as the English one and if you took away the Old Firm clubs and a combined Edinburgh club from the SPFL and allowed them into the English system, you would have something similar to the CanPL vs MLS scenario. Does that mean there is no place for a CanPL? No, definitely not. We definitely should be striving to get pro soccer into Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, K/W, Niagara, Barrie, Sherbrooke, Moncton and St John's as well as Laval and Quebec City.

I guess I'm okay with the league being the Canadian version of the 'SPL' to the MLS. I do think that the top few clubs will eventually be able to compete with lower MLS clubs, but that's about all I realistically expect. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We really don't know what the future holds.

For all we know MLS will implode.

They have a lot of hurting franchises and they may have expanded too fast.

What happens if the TV rights actually reflect viewership? MLS viewership in the US is dreadful.

Look at whats going on in the US.  Atlanta an Cincy are drawing tens of thousands of people and are turning those cities into soccer hotbeds.  There are about about 500 USL and USL-1 teams in the lower divisions with plenty of teams dying to get into MLS.  Comparing ourselves to or yearning to be the states is just silly. 

All the negative saysayers were wrong and the CPL has gotten off the ground without MLS reserve teams. The individual teams and owners need to handle their business, get asses in seats, put out a good product and buckle in for the long haul.  Some teams and owners are going to stumble (ticket pricing/marketing etc), but the buzz about new teams in SK and PQ make me optimistic that it will have the 10 teams that was talked about sooner rather than later.   Its still an exciting time to be a fan in Canada and having MLS next door doesnt need to take away from that.  

We can do similar up here on a smaller scale.  Find niche markets with a gap in the market and a love for soccer.  We’ve done that in Hamilton and Halifax despite Hamilton being next door to an mls team.  In fact, what is happening in southern Ontario is unlike anywhere in North America.  

There are more markets to tackle and more room for growth than in the USA quite honestly.   Competition up here is so thin, we have many relatively comparable cities that have absolutely no summer competition.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As long as some criteria is met.  Saw this article...

https://footballtoday.news/features/8-criteria-for-introducing-expansion-and-promotion

which could not have said it any better.  And I could add a ninth criteria: the ability to support coast to coast travel (travel costs)  I am NOT sure re: Kelowna, Barrie, or even Sherbrooke if they can cover or withstand travel coasts in a coast to coast league.  

I was talking with someone from Saskatoon last week and the conversation turned to the lacrosse team. He said the reason it's so well supported is because it's a chance for the locals to drink and party, which they focus on moreso than the product on the rink. I wonder if that's how Joe Belan will pitch the idea to its citizens. He mentioned that Rider Pride was a whole other level. 

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

I was talking with someone from Saskatoon last week and the conversation turned to the lacrosse team. He said the reason it's so well supported is because it's a chance for the locals to drink and party, which they focus on moreso than the product on the rink. I wonder if that's how Joe Belan will pitch the idea to its citizens. He mentioned that Rider Pride was a whole other level. 

I was visiting relatives in northern Sask. and during discussion they told me that a lot of their friends and neighbours go to Rush to support Saskatchewan teams. I asked them if they would there be similar kind of support for a soccer team and their thoughts were there would be. For the trip I was asked to bring some TFC merchandise( asked for anything with a TFC logo) for some youngsters in their neighbourhood.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

The issue with the approach taken by the Rush is that pumping the music every 25 seconds and having that kind of constant party atmosphere doesn’t really work in a soccer context. At the SK Selects game, the DJ decided to play some music occasionally over the loudspeakers and most people just got annoyed. 

And Joe is very concerned with good atmosphere, but he wants good soccer atmosphere and that is not really compatible with what the Rush are doing. 

http://justesoccer.com/quebec/cpl-quebec-bientot-une-bonne-nouvelle-a-annoncer/

CPL Québec : « Bientôt une bonne nouvelle à annoncer »

23 mai 2019

En novembre dernier, Alex Bunbury clamait vouloir créer une voire deux équipes québécoises en CPL. Aujourd’hui, l’ancien joueur professionnel annonce que son projet est clairement en voie de se réaliser.

« Nous avons beaucoup travaillé pour rassembler toutes les pièces du puzzle et sommes très proches de l’aboutissement! » Alex Bunbury est parti de zéro et espère bien pouvoir lancer deux équipes québécoises en CPL la saison prochaine : « La vision concernant les stades, les investisseurs… tout est inclus. J’ai bien compris les exigences du cahier des charges de la CPL et je suis très optimiste pour la suite des événements. J’ai aussi bien compris que la province du Québec a besoin de deux équipes à ce niveau. »

Alex Bunbury veut d’abord une équipe à Montréal : « Le stade sera localisé dans le Grand Montréal. Je trouve l’aire de Laval assez intéressante. » D’ailleurs, le stade du complexe du Bois-de-Boulogne, où se trouve le siège de la FSQ, a été un temps évoqué. L’ancien international canadien poursuit : « Pour l’autre équipe, elle jouera à Québec City. Nous avons les joueurs et le staff pour offrir cela. Je voudrais tellement que la province ait ces deux équipes. Cela permettra d’avoir des derbies et le soccer en a besoin! » Alex Bunbury assure que l’issue de ce projet est proche : « On devrait pouvoir l’annoncer prochainement mais rien n’est sûr à 100% car il faut attendre le protocole de la CPL. »

Edit: in the first bolded part, the author says that Bunbury hopes to announce two Quebec teams starting in 2020 and then he quotes Bunbury saying the stadium and investors are all lined up.

The author is speculating a stadium at the Laval Multi-sports Complex

And Bunbury saying that they're waiting to announce the club(s) because of CPL protocol.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And Bunbury saying that they're waiting to announce the club(s) because of CPL protocol.

It sounds like things are moving in the background. They just want to make the announcement into a big deal.

They should announce both teams on July 1st. The last day of the Spring Season.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

It sounds like things are moving in the background. They just want to make the announcement into a big deal.

They should announce both teams on July 1st. The last day of the Spring Season.

That would actually be a really good day to make the announcement.

We would all love to have them sooner of course, but from a marketing perspective, that could be a great day for the CPL to trumpet Canadiana by announcing two/three more Canadian sides for our Canadian League that is for Canadians, by Canadians, etc.

I don't think they'll wait quite that long, but I could see an angle that would work by making Canada Day also CPL Expansion Day.

One then the other towards seasons end (Vs Cup final?).  If two for QC is a done deal it'll be the worst kept secret ever but think if you can get two quality headlines in the media it's not a bad idea to spread then around a little.  Get as much good press as you can.