CPL new teams speculation

20 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Alex Bunbury making announcement on Quebec City and Montreal before the end of this month!

Does an announcement consist of sitting on a couch saying a few bland things terminated with some monosyllabic high school French or will it amount to something a bit more substantial this time? The obvious question beyond that would be why Alex Bunbury would be the one making an announcement about Quebec City when his focus previously has only been on Laval? If anything, that suggests there is no clear would be lead investor there yet and this is still more about trying to smoke one out than anything else. Saskatoon appears to have a lot more steak than any of this, but understandable why the league needs to be seen to be prioritizing Quebec where team #8 is concerned. The optics of not having a Quebec team next would not be good.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I did neither of those things. I was skeptical that the league would start with 8 teams and so it has proved. I have consistently argued that a high budget approach would doom the league in an NASL sort of way and have hence been happy to see that a relatively low budget approach has been adopted instead.

You are the one who is engaging in revisionist history. I have consistently been proven correct on here that things have not been as far advanced or anything like as high budget as some people have tried to claim or have advocated. The eight team high budget CFL type league that was being peddled for years on here never happened and something a lot more sensible aimed at markets as small as Barrie or Kelowna seems to be happening instead. I would not be surprised if there's a team somewhere in the province of Quebec by 2021. It's next year that looks like a stretch at this point. Hopefully, if that is the case the Quebec angle doesn't slow down entry elsewhere in cities like Saskatoon where there are much more obvious signs of progress and viable stadium solutions.

There is nothing wrong with trying to smoke out a suitable lead investor, so I am not shitting on Bunbury. Meanwhile in Saskatoon there actually is a known lead investor, a known stadium solution and a team that is playing a series of games in apparent preparation for a franchise launch. I've been posting plenty of positive stuff on here about that in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Ok I'll rephrase, continue shitting on Bunbury and whatever they are cooking up in Quebec.  And next year, or 2021 when  Quebec teams are in the CPL you can spout some sort of revisionist history.  

FYP

Re: Announcement from Alex this month To paraphrase the Cooper Brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deii6ucJQzQ   

I'll know it when I hear an official announcement (as it has been delayed several times) from Alex.

Before anyone gets up in arms here, I WANT to see a CPL team in Quebec and I WANT them to succeed.

Even Alex has admitted that Quebec could support 2 to 3 teams maximum in CPL.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You are the one who is engaging in revisionist history. I have consistently been proven correct on here that things have not been as far advanced or anything like as high budget as some people have tried to claim or have advocated. The eight team high budget CFL type league that was being peddled for years on here never happened and something a lot more sensible aimed at markets as small as Barrie or Kelowna seems to be happening instead. I would not be surprised if there's a team somewhere in the province of Quebec by 2021. It's next year that looks like a stretch at this point. Hopefully, if that is the case the Quebec angle doesn't slow down entry elsewhere in cities like Saskatoon where there are much more obvious signs of progress and viable stadium solutions.

I couldn’t get through the second sentence.

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Alex Bunbury making announcement on Quebec City and Montreal before the end of this month!

Let's be clear though, "making an announcement" could very well be something as simple as "I'm open to working with investors in both Laval AND Quebec City should they present themselves"

6 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Is the Peps stadium in Quebec suitable for CPl?

Only with new unmarked fieldturf like they have in Hamilton and Winnipeg and even then the track would make it less than ideal. The use of York Lions stadium, which has way too small a playing surface for the pro level of the sport and an eight lane track, does show a willingness to use unsuitable stadia in the absence of better alternatives, however.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I couldn’t get through the second sentence.

I've blocked him and have not missed a thing, except, to be fair, he occasionally will post some other media source.

His reasoning is forced and mostly grounded in some peripheral falsehood, and almost every post has something in the range of cockamamie.

I am glad you quoted him though, all we had to do was read Barrie and Kelowna as his interpretation of where CPL is going to know it is better to  not read him at all.

3 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Re: Announcement from Alex this month To paraphrase the Cooper Brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deii6ucJQzQ   

I'll know it when I hear an official announcement (as it has been delayed several times) from Alex.

Before anyone gets up in arms here, I WANT to see a CPL team in Quebec and I WANT them to succeed.

Even Alex has admitted that Quebec could support 2 to 3 teams maximum in CPL.

I agree he has delayed announcements, but there are a few things to take into account. 

He is not a business person, his profile is another. He was brought in as a key person to promote CPL and was at all the trials, and is, amongst former Canadian nationals, the person with the closest in to the organisation. Perhaps along with Brennan. So he knows CPL.

He is gregarious and has a very positive personality, which is good for a plodding, sometimes overly bureaucratic country like ours. He's a good face for our game, and he is loyal and passionate.  I prefer his overstatements to the secrecy and conspiring we get from other places. I also think he may be happy to help a club get going, say in Québec, without having to have any personal stake in it. 

He is a mover and shaker and not an administrator, that is clear. If he did not have that team in Portugal, in Sintra, where he is a partner, and were not doing things for  Guyanese football, you would say it is all hot air. If he had not been involved as a manager in Minnesota. But since he is active, and seems to enjoy having his fingers in many pies (maybe too many), you have to accept that he is working to put things together. I am sure he is not going to sort out finances, or design deals, or do the numbers, but he is someone who can agglutinate those doing so.

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does an announcement consist of sitting on a couch saying a few bland things terminated with some monosyllabic high school French or will it amount to something a bit more substantial this time? The obvious question beyond that would be why Alex Bunbury would be the one making an announcement about Quebec City when his focus previously has only been on Laval? If anything, that suggests there is no clear would be lead investor there yet and this is still more about trying to smoke one out than anything else. Saskatoon appears to have a lot more steak than any of this, but understandable why the league needs to be seen to be prioritizing Quebec where team #8 is concerned. The optics of not having a Quebec team next would not be good.

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There is nothing wrong with trying to smoke out a suitable lead investor, so I am not shitting on Bunbury. Meanwhile in Saskatoon there actually is a known lead investor, a known stadium solution and a team that is playing a series of games in apparent preparation for a franchise launch. I've been posting plenty of positive stuff on here about that in recent weeks.

I probably shouldn't give you the benefit of the doubt here, but I recognize I could be wrong, you might not be referring to Bunbury with the "bland things terminated with some monosyllabic high school French". Having said that, to someone who hasn't watched many announcement videos, it very much reads like you are, which seems rather contradictory with your claim to not be shitting on Bunbury. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...except I suspect somebody to actually pay for it, if we are still only at the stage of articulating the vision. Hope two lead investors enter stage right very soon to match what we already have happening in Saskatoon at the moment.

Let's hope that it is part of the announcement.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Let's hope that it is part of the announcement.

First, as I said, Bunbury is very close to the CPL front office and operations. So his capacity to liason is high.

Second, someone has to help with the leg work, being mostly local investors, or investor groups, and municipalities with an interest in upgrading stadiums. Then local youth soccer and the Québec SA to back the initiative. It is plain stupid to harp about whether he's going to write up the legal contracts or do the financial due diligence--his virtues are different. Let someone else be dry and methodical, and let Bunbury bring on the synergy between the parts. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist