CPL new teams speculation

To answer all the 'no <insert municipality here>?'

I was just musing if there was a closed system like MLS and a limited number of games we can play per season in our climate, then those clubs are what I think would have the widest national footprint. Throw Pro-rel and lower divisions into the mix and anyone can join at that point. To grow the CPL in teams, I'd probably divide it into phases:

Phase 1: 8-16 teams, single table, 28 games, apertura/clausura format, Single Division.

Phase 2, First Split: Div 1 - 8-10 teams, single table, 28 games, two last-place clubs get relegated; Div 2 - 8-16 teams, single table, 28 games, top 4 clubs have playoffs to determine who is promoted to Div 1.

Phase 3, Conference Split: Div 1 - 10-15 teams, single table, 28 games, two last place clubs get relegated; Div 2 - 3 Conferences (West/Central/East) of 4-7 teams each, 28 games, play one game against each opposing conference and remaining games in-conference, top club in each conference and team with next-best overall record have playoffs to determine who is promoted to Div 1.

Phase 4, Conference Isolation: Div 1 - 15-16 teams, single table, 28-30 games balanced schedule, three last place clubs get relegated; Div 2 - 3 Regional Divisions of 7-15 teams each, 28 games, all games in-division, playoffs between top two teams in each region to determine who gets promoted to Div 1 (ensures that each region of Canada will have a steady influx of teams to Div 1 and limit Ontario domination, may lead to regional teams unprepared for national travel requirements).

Phase 4 Alternate, Div 2 Split: Div 1 - 15-16 teams, single table, 28-30 games balanced schedule, three last place clubs get relegated; Div 2 - 3 Conferences of 6 teams each, 28 games, play one game against each opposing conference and remaining games in-conference,  playoffs between top two teams in each conference to determine who gets promoted to Div 1, bottom team in each conference gets relegated to regional Div 3;  Div 3 - 3 Regional Divisions of 7-13 teams each, 24 games, all games in-division, playoffs between top two teams in each region to determine who gets promoted to Div 2 (provides a buffer for clubs to get used to national travel, may require reshuffling of Div 2 Conferences after every season and may not limit Ontario domination).

At all levels, a club in the safe zone may choose to voluntarily relegate at the end of season or a playoff winning club may choose to not be promoted, in which case the highest-placed team in the relegation zone will not be relegated.

https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/le-dynamo-de-quebec-a-un-il-sur-la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-video-c4267e61d1f6fb3e6a4aac9477713b12?utm_campaign=lesoleil&utm_medium=article_share&utm_source=email

Le Dynamo lance sa saison avec un œil sur la Première Ligue canadienne (PLC). Le nouveau circuit professionnel constituerait non seulement l’avenir du plus haut niveau de soccer actuel à Québec, mais rien de moins que sa survie....

I suspect this would have better prospects than Laval if they can put all the pieces together.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/le-dynamo-de-quebec-a-un-il-sur-la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-video-c4267e61d1f6fb3e6a4aac9477713b12?utm_campaign=lesoleil&utm_medium=article_share&utm_source=email

Le Dynamo lance sa saison avec un œil sur la Première Ligue canadienne (PLC). Le nouveau circuit professionnel constituerait non seulement l’avenir du plus haut niveau de soccer actuel à Québec, mais rien de moins que sa survie....

I suspect this would have better prospects than Laval if they can put all the pieces together.

The article is purely speculative and based on apparently nothing. The team has lost tons of money in the PLSQ and apparently considered leaving before their agreement ends but hasn't because of the financial penalty it would incur. The coach of the team says they don't have to money or stadium to move to the CPL and the author puts forward the idea of the club becoming the academy for a CPL team.

"We're not there yet because of the money!" Admits the coach of the men's troupe Dynamo, Edmond Foye. "It takes a sizeable initial investment and a land that can accommodate at least 6,000 spectators, and that it is filled. For the moment, we are not ready, but we will all work in that direction."

So in what sense are the Dynamo and Levis a better prospect than Laval?

For much the same reason the Forge is likely to work better than York 9 where carving out a fan base separate from the MLS team is concerned but even more so given Quebec City is a lot further away than Hamilton is. Ottawa would be the better Ontario analogy, if they were on board. Laval also appears to be largely speculative at this point and probably for much the same reason. They are probably trying to smoke out investors with pockets deep enough to sign all the cheques.

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No, they hope that a CPL team arrives in Quebec so they could become their B Team to have their operations partially or totally financed by the CPL club.

They are bleeding money in PLSQ

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-expansion-clubs/

WE HAVE A COUPLE OF OTHER DIFFERENT GROUPS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA, A COUPLE OF GROUPS IN SASKATCHEWAN, A NUMBER OF GROUPS IN ONTARIO, A FEW GROUPS IN THE QUEBEC MARKET AND A COUPLE MORE GROUPS OUT IN ATLANTIC CANADA. THEY’RE ALL IN DIFFERENT STAGES AND NOT ALL OF THEM ARE GOING TO GET THERE. BUT THERE ARE SOME FRONT-RUNNERS IN THERE.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A COUPLE OF GROUPS IN SASKATCHEWAN

A say whaaaaaaaa? 😮🤔

In all cases, while we all want to see more teams I hope they take the time necessary to make sure each club hits the ground running and is sustainable before they jump into the league. 

As frustrating as it is for fans in cities waiting, the last thing we need is clubs failing and going under. 

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've been out of the loop and am trying to catch up.

But its fairly certain that we won't have any new teams for next season? Unless we can convince the Fury to join?

No we will have a new team next season. The commissioner has said a team is ready to be announced, but it’s not a good time for that right now.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Good stuff.

Maybe they will announce it after the Spring season is over.

Yeah not sure. They mite honestly wait till the fall season is done too.  Maybe announce it during the championship game ? Who knows. Be interesting to see if it gets leaked before they announce.

Yes, the rumour was they were considering have a new team enter for the fall season but have decided to wait until next year. Supposedly it was a Montreal area team.

Other groups that are apparently furthest along are Saskatoon and Saint John.

As for Ottawa I still feel their move to the CPL next year or beyond is not guaranteed and that the club may fold rather than join.

44 minutes ago, Reign said:

No we will have a new team next season. The commissioner has said a team is ready to be announced, but it’s not a good time for that right now.

Do you have a link for that? Don't remember seeing that posted anywhere previously and Paul Beirne didn't seem as upbeat on anything happening quickly when he was on an Edmonton podcast a few weeks ago. The absence of a new team being accepted into CSA membership at the CSA AGM earlier this month would also tend to suggest nothing is 100% finalized yet (assuming he wasn't talking about Ottawa). I guess if he did say that he could have been talking about Saskatoon where the date of entry into the league is very much open ended when Joe Belan discusses it in interviews.

41 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Do you have a link for that? Don't remember seeing that posted anywhere previously and Paul Beirne didn't seem as upbeat on anything happening quickly when he was on an Edmonton podcast a few weeks ago. The absence of a new team being accepted into CSA membership at the CSA AGM earlier this month would also tend to suggest nothing is 100% finalized yet (assuming he wasn't talking about Ottawa). I guess if he did say that he could have been talking about Saskatoon where the date of entry into the league is very much open ended when Joe Belan discusses it in interviews.

It was said in a video interview. Can’t remember which one it was some time around the launch of the league. 

36 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/cpl-hopes-to-add-more-teams-509834982.html

Clanachan hopes to announce at least one new franchise for the seven-team league this summer.

"If we were fortunate, we could maybe get to two (franchises)," Clanachan said during a visit with local media at Saturday’s game between Valour FC and HFX Wanderers FC at IGF.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/three-or-four-front-runners-for-canadian-premier-league-expansion-commissioner-says/1hw8yarxv3cg1ao98l4g62poo

"I'd like to see somewhere [in the range of] eight or nine teams [in the CPL] by next year at kick-off," Clanachan said. "I'd be more than happy to announce at least one team [soon] to show growth in the league."

There was another interview in which he talked about an actual announcement but I'm too lazy to keep looking.