CPL new teams speculation

7 hours ago, Initial B said:

To me, this makes an argument for Pro-Rel. The sooner the CPL can split off an 8-team First Division (CPL Elite?)with teams who have the financial means for multiple cross-country road trips, the better. I think it's imperative that the First Division stabilize as quickly as possible. Then the Second Division (CPL Championship?) would become the more fluid entry level with less travelling and easier for new clubs to jump into, expanding and contracting as the fortunes of clubs turn.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is why a regional second division makes so much sense to me.  Reduce their costs by keeping most or all games within a (relatively) close distance, while leaving CPL D1 for those teams  that can compete at that level and have the financial wherewithal to accommodate the higher cost of competing at that level. 

I think the D1 should be 8-10 maximum so the level will be really good and we could compete with other CONCACAF leagues pretty soon

2019:7 teams

2020: 10 teams

2021: 10 (teams)

2022: 10 teams + creation of D2

The first edition of D2 should include the farm team of D1(10 teams), the farm teams of MLS clubs (3 teams), the PDL clubs (5 teams) and some other new markets (6 teams)

so, the D1 could be:
Pacific

Cavalry

Edmonton

Valour

Forge

York 9

Saskatoon

Ottawa

Laval

Halifax

D2:

West conference :
Victoria Highlanders

Pacific II

TSS FC Rovers

Whitecaps II

Calgary Foothills

Cavalry II

Fc Edmonton II

Lethbridge

Centre Conference :

Saskatoon II

Regina

Valour II

WSA Winnipeg

Thunder Bay Chill

Toronto FC II

York 9 II

Forge II

East Conference:
Ottawa II

Laval II

Impact Montreal II

Quebec City

Moncton

Halifax II

St John's NF

Charlottetown

9 hours ago, mtlsab said:

I think the D1 should be 8-10 maximum so the level will be really good and we could compete with other CONCACAF leagues pretty soon

2019:7 teams

2020: 10 teams

2021: 10 (teams)

2022: 10 teams + creation of D2

The first edition of D2 should include the farm team of D1(10 teams), the farm teams of MLS clubs (3 teams), the PDL clubs (5 teams) and some other new markets (6 teams)...

D2:
West conference ..

Centre Conference...

East Conference...

Charlottetown

God damn right.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, mpg_29 said:

For further comparisons sake:

Victoria: $61,119

Halifax: $59,240

Moncton: $55,165

The thing about Newfoundland is that the second largest city outside of the St John's metro area is only 20,000 people... So St. John's essentially serves as the main hub/center for everything in the province. So besides the offshore oil industry there a lot of government, academic and health related jobs concentrated in one area. I suspect that's why the median income is relatively high.

Keep in mind people in BC may not have a lot of income but live in a house worth a couple million dollars. They may also be full time money launderers. Thats pretty common lol

Income and wealth are very different things. Most peoples observation from other parts of the country when they come out here is.... Its Tuesday afternoon. How come nobody seems to be working?

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Income and wealth are very different things. Most peoples observation from other parts of the country when they come out here is.... Its Tuesday afternoon. How come nobody seems to be working?

This is exactly what I thought when I moved out here...I actually found it quite frustrating at first when I hired people to do things and it wouldn't get done or way later than I wanted. Everyone was so laid back. Still a little too laid back for my liking.

9 minutes ago, LAK said:

This is exactly what I thought when I moved out here...I actually found it quite frustrating at first when I hired people to do things and it wouldn't get done or way later than I wanted. Everyone was so laid back. Still a little too laid back for my liking.

My Dad's from the Maritimes, he's been here since to early 70s and still complains to this day. But you take the good with the bad and people are a product of their environment 

Just trying to point out like posting wiki population numbers.. you need to mix art with that science because it doesnt always paint the full picture 

5 hours ago, LAK said:

I've been in Barcelona for over half my life, and we work way harder here than in Vancouver. Considering the housing costs in Van, it is pretty inexplicable, since people should be really pushing when young if they want to make Greater Vancouver their long-term base. Okay, I am in a place where salaries are weak and tourism pushes up costs, so you have to work a lot, but still. 

I am shocked in Vancouver when people in positions of management, people who lead I have contacts with when in Van, in charge of many others and large budgets, are going home at the same time as their secretaries on union hours. I take this as a lack of ambition to really excel, because to do things at a high standard,  and to lead, you absolutely have to work way harder and push more to the limits. When everyone else has gone home, that is when you get a few things done. But no, it is like watching 40-somethings in pre-retirement phase.

Unfortunately this translates into sports culture, as while we have a lot of Canada's Olympians, like in rowing, who really know what it means to drive (though they are on the Island), we have team sports where folks really do not care about playing well, being good, winning, making playoffs. People are not even embarrassed by the fact that we are being beaten by direct rivals, like Seattle in soccer, and every year some Western Canadian hockey team, except like once every 20 years something odd happens. 

On 4/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, dyslexic nam said:

But what is the annual per capita vegetable consumption? 

Only then will we know if CPL is viable.

ch3_graph4.3-eng.jpg

This is the best I  could find...

Newfoundland is behind of Saskatchewan in fruit and vegetable consumption. Saskatoon are ahead in the CPL race... But what are they eating in Newfoundland? Beer and fish is not a complete meal!

Quebec is viable for a CPL franchise, look at the stats for healthy food!

19 minutes ago, fil said:

ch3_graph4.3-eng.jpg

This is the best I  could find...

Newfoundland is behind of Saskatchewan in fruit and vegetable consumption. Saskatoon are ahead in the CPL race... But what are they eating in Newfoundland? Beer and fish is not a complete meal!

Quebec is viable for a CPL franchise, look at the stats for healthy food!

And PEI is ahead of Manitoba, so I assume we will get Valour when those nutrient deficient carnivores go belly up.  Sweet.

^ I believe that the data (and it's dah-tah by the way, not day-tah) provided is inaccurate.   I know for a fact everyone I'm aware of strictly adheres to Winnipeg's 4 basic food groups.  Bacon, beans, whisky & lard.

It's quite easy to actually so long as you remember 2 servings of slurpees can be substitued for one surving of lard and every serving of tobacco is equal to a serving of bacon. 

Perogies (so long as they're fried not just boiled) can be substitued for 1/4 portion of any of the above.

Fruits?  Vegetables?  Phehhhh.  Garnish for a ceasar.  Maybe.

40 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Newfoundland doesn’t have the capacity to have a stable professional franchise!

the other thing is people shouldn’t get ahead of themselves with relegation and 3 divisions, the quality/ finances aren’t there for more then a 10-12 team league - if Canadian players return home 

Rome wasn't built in one day. 

It's a long term project and we're still one of the countries with the most registered players in the world.

This is for the future generations  but got to start somewhere 

42 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Newfoundland doesn’t have the capacity to have a stable professional franchise!

the other thing is people shouldn’t get ahead of themselves with relegation and 3 divisions, the quality/ finances aren’t there for more then a 10-12 team league - if Canadian players return home 

Pro Rel allows all clubs to find their natural level. The pyramid has to be structured so that they can reach their full potential. If that's 1 national division and a bunch of regional leagues then that must be the way forward. If we can do more, do more. 

Maybe I am still being utopian, but to me the idea of tiering the structure and making the lower tiers regional (and then maybe provincial) offer a very reasonable path to get there.  Presumably, a D2 club in this environment would have significantly reduced operating costs.  Reduced revenues due to small markets may very well be able to accommodate this.  Sure the Charlottetown AnneOfGreenGablesPotatoLobsters may not draw tons and tons of people (or sponsorship dollars), but it may just be enough to float a D2 team with appropriately scaled salaries, a suitably modest "stadium", and fairly local travel costs.  Similarly, the player pool demands get lower (in terms of accessing a small pool of really skilled Canadian players) as the natural level gets set.   If D2 ends up being close to L1O or its QC sibling, you already have a solid pool of players in place that could help fill the gap - and likely other across the country. 

34 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I prefer Quebec City over Montrel for CPL

Most of the untapped talent is in Montreal though...while you want to cut off the Northern Suburbs from the Impact before they seriously make an attempt at penetrating the "Couronne Nord" which represents over a Million people...Quebec City is around 750k