lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, matty said:

...London IIRC was rumoured for MLSE

That's way back now. The poster involved also thought the $200 milllion "investment" from Mediapro was going to be a cash payment to the league judging by what was on Reddit recently, so draw your own conclusions on how seriously to take it. More recently there was this:

https://lfpress.com/sports/soccer/will-london-build-a-downtown-sports-stadium-its-a-possibility

...FC London’s founder and chief operating officer, Ian Campbell, says he had discussions with the league last year but the financial numbers didn’t work out.

“There was the franchise fee, which is in the millions. Then there was the expectation that there would be money lost in the first few years,” Campbell said. “I also think that the travel expenses are going to be really steep. It’s expensive going to places like Victoria.”

But a major outstanding issue here is a stadium. Campbell’s wish list for the continued growth of the sport and FC London includes a dedicated soccer stadium. Right now FC London has a women’s and men’s senior team in League1 Ontario.

While the costs to get into the CPL are high, not having a stadium removes any decision — it’s simply not feasible.

“It’s just too much money,” Campbell said. “But if there were a stadium, now that might change things.” ...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

19 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's way back now. The poster involved also thought the $200 milllion "investment" from Mediapro was going to be a cash payment to the league judging by what was on Reddit recently, so draw your own conclusions on how seriously to take it. More recently there was this:

https://lfpress.com/sports/soccer/will-london-build-a-downtown-sports-stadium-its-a-possibility

...FC London’s founder and chief operating officer, Ian Campbell, says he had discussions with the league last year but the financial numbers didn’t work out.

“There was the franchise fee, which is in the millions. Then there was the expectation that there would be money lost in the first few years,” Campbell said. “I also think that the travel expenses are going to be really steep. It’s expensive going to places like Victoria.”

But a major outstanding issue here is a stadium. Campbell’s wish list for the continued growth of the sport and FC London includes a dedicated soccer stadium. Right now FC London has a women’s and men’s senior team in League1 Ontario.

While the costs to get into the CPL are high, not having a stadium removes any decision — it’s simply not feasible.

“It’s just too much money,” Campbell said. “But if there were a stadium, now that might change things.” ...

That's pretty great. So basically he would love to own a team if there was 0 risk, weren't expenses, and if you didn't need a stadium to play in.

Posted (edited)

Maybe worth bearing in mind that his team won the PDL championship in 2012 in a similar way to what the Foothills did last summer. Ian Campbell was gung ho about moving from PDL to USL D3 back when the moratorium was imposed and was talking about a stadium at Oxford and Highbury (probably at JP II HS) at that point.

My understanding is that he is in the same sort of wealth league as the Fath brothers so is a credible would be investor on this. He was quoted in the mainstream media as being skeptical about a Canadian pro league ever working when the Easton report was being put together and like a lot of other possible investors (e.g. OSEG, St John's group and Joe Belan) probably wants to see CanPL actually working first.

The main problem for London with CanPL is that a 5000 minimum on stadium capacity with soccer specific field markings eliminates all of the easy options such as the German Club where FC London have played most of their PDL and L1O games. If you read the article there is a location he has in mind for use in CanPL which is currently being used as a city-owned parking lot, so there is a plan for how to go about it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.976334,-81.2531298,244a,35y,39.37t/data=!3m1!1e3

22 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

“There was the franchise fee, which is in the millions.

Why is there a franchise fee for a club based league? I thought CPL was leaving the MLS stuff in MLS

Posted (edited)

Think the fee is $3 million but haven't been able to track down where I read that originally. The league also has a salary cap and has held player drafts (the U-sports one for sure, but there was also talk of another one that assigned Canadian players to specific teams in some interviews). CanPL is a lot more like MLS than some people like to admit basically and can't sensibly be viewed as a European style club based league at this point. It might eventually evolve into that like the J League did in Japan, but I'll believe franchise owners in a soccer league in North America will vote to potentially be relegated when I see it actually happening.

6 hours ago, KW519 said:

Why is there a franchise fee for a club based league? I thought CPL was leaving the MLS stuff in MLS

It's only a franchise fee if you receive a "franchise" in exchange -- something that you can then sell to someone in an arbitrary location. If the fee to join the league is simply to ensure the financial viability of the proposed CPL Football Club (and is likely to be paid back in a few years out of league revenues) then the term "franchise fee" is a misnomer. 

...but you don't know whether that's the case, while Ian Campbell who chose to use that terminology almost certainly does. Something for the next podcaster to interview Paul Beirne to ask about along with whether multiyear contracts are guaranteed for the full duration or include club held options.

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, mpg_29 said:

Not going to be an open market system with salary caps and restrictions on player nationalities though..

Eventually accommodate an open market system. It isn't one now but I believe the CPL will gradually evolve into such a system. 

Edited by Macksam

On 3/30/2019 at 12:04 AM, Zem said:

St. John's; it was confirmed by @Copes that Clanachan has been to the island and spoken face-to-face with St. John's Sports and Entertainment (the Edge/Growlers ownership group), who are very interested but will wait at least a couple years before committing to anything.

Just to clarify - them waiting a few years before committing is my speculation based on the vibe I got from the conversations I had with people in-the-know. Only thing I really know is that Clanachan has been here.

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Just to clarify - them waiting a few years before committing is my speculation based on the vibe I got from the conversations I had with people in-the-know. Only thing I really know is that Clanachan has been here.

But the question becomes how to make sure that a Newfoundland team will be sustainable.  From what I have observed with hockey teams Newfoundland seems to be a graveyard for pro sports teams (from the folding of the Fog Devils and IceCaps)  what can be done to make this different???

Soccer is popular in Newfoundland but it won’t be able to sustain a professional team based on a number of factors. 

Theres a number of issues with past hockey teams but the overlying issue is St. John’s sports and entertainments incompetence in running the building and the bussiness

1 minute ago, top cheese said:

Soccer is popular in Newfoundland but it won’t be able to sustain a professional team based on a number of factors. 

Theres a number of issues with past hockey teams but the overlying issue is St. John’s sports and entertainments incompetence in running the building and the bussiness

what are the "factors"???? (I assume one is travel expenses)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, top cheese said:

The main issue with the hockey teams was that NHL teams wanted their AHL teams closer.

As for Mile One Centre I'm pretty sure there were talks to sell it to to the owners of the St John's Edge. Not sure if that's still happening or not.

Edited by mpg_29

22 minutes ago, top cheese said:

• They are unopposed in the summer
  • Existing stadium with lots of history
  • They have the population
  • An distinct identity
  • Rivalries with HFX Wanderers and potentially Moncton
  • They have the corporate presence

Just need the owner(s) to be all in and have a sustainable plan. I see no reason St.John's can't be a success

Yeah the biggest issues with the past hockey teams hasn't been a lack of interest or attendance, its been the NHL owners not liking their teams being so far away.

I think a soccer team would be approached differently. That said, travel is always a factor when you're incorporating an island which I suspect is part of the reason any proposed ownership will wait and see how the other teams in the league do. 

Mile One isn't currently being sold, largely because City Hall doesn't seem to want to. I think the Edge ownership would buy it if they could. So much of the issue has to do with St. John's Sports and Entertainment, and quite frankly, their incompetence. Being an arm of the municipal government they simply do not know how to run an operation profitably, nor do they need to. They'll just push as much cost onto the tenant that they can and then ask for more money during the next year's budget cycle. If the Edge ownership (or any group, for that matter) could pry the rink away from that body I very much suspect that a lot of the game-day experience would be improved.

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Yeah the biggest issues with the past hockey teams hasn't been a lack of interest or attendance, its been the NHL owners not liking their teams being so far away.

I think a soccer team would be approached differently. That said, travel is always a factor when you're incorporating an island which I suspect is part of the reason any proposed ownership will wait and see how the other teams in the league do. 

Mile One isn't currently being sold, largely because City Hall doesn't seem to want to. I think the Edge ownership would buy it if they could. So much of the issue has to do with St. John's Sports and Entertainment, and quite frankly, their incompetence. Being an arm of the municipal government they simply do not know how to run an operation profitably, nor do they need to. They'll just push as much cost onto the tenant that they can and then ask for more money during the next year's budget cycle. If the Edge ownership (or any group, for that matter) could pry the rink away from that body I very much suspect that a lot of the game-day experience would be improved.

My take is that if it's feasible in Victoria then it's likely feasible in St. John's. 

16 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

My take is that if it's feasible in Victoria then it's likely feasible in St. John's. 

Completely agree. My SJSE rant is all hockey based and nothing on soccer. 

I'm quite certain as well that a team would flourish here. I'm just personally speculating it won't be until 2025ish.

21 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Not to disrespect St. John's but the numbers don't necessarily support that assessment.

Metropolitan St. John's population: 205,955 wiki

Greater Victoria population: 367,770 wiki

I'd say it's still worth putting a club there, just maybe not until 2021 or later when the league revenue streams have solidified. 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, MtlMario said:

Still waiting patiently for Alex's end of March announcement for Laval team.?

??    Maybe that rumored second ownership group is delaying things? I hope it's not something worse.

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Also important to note the strength of economies. Victoria with a lot more money to spend than St. John’s.

To be fair according to Wikipedia St John's has a higher median income. ;)

3 hours ago, ted said:

To be fair according to Wikipedia St John's has a higher median income. ;)

That's interesting, but it's also old info (2010). I wonder if that is still the case now after the oil crash.

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's interesting, but it's also old info (2010). I wonder if that is still the case now after the oil crash.

The latest Census data is available on the Statcan website but I’m too lazy to look.