lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

With respect to the team in Fraser Valley, just remember that the caps play DT Vancouver. If you place a team east enough you can draw those caps fans that are too far away to maybe make it the game on a regular basis. Its also a lot closer to Abbotsford and chilliwack, which has 100,000+ ppl to draw from. This can totally be done if you only need 5-6,000 people. 

13 minutes ago, matty said:

@Ansem welcome back and where you been this week? There's been like loads of small things you'd usually pipe in on. Busy? Just taking a break?

I was on a personal leave lol 

13 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

With respect to the team in Fraser Valley, just remember that the caps play DT Vancouver. If you place a team east enough you can draw those caps fans that are too far away to maybe make it the game on a regular basis. Its also a lot closer to Abbotsford and chilliwack, which has 100,000+ ppl to draw from. This can totally be done if you only need 5-6,000 people. 

My geography is limited on Metro Vancouver but does Langley really makes sense?

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

My geography is limited on Metro Vancouver but does Langley really makes sense?

Langley or Surrey would be ideal IMO, especially with the new Langley-Surrey line coming into play and the region having like 500,000+ people within a 30 minute radius

Edited by Senorpopps

8 hours ago, fmfranck said:

Interestingly, Rollins just alluded to a second ownership group vying for the Montréal market on twitter.

Would it be a good idea for the Quebec soccer Federation to mention to one of the ownership groups (Montreal Laval)to consider Quebec City instead????

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not really surprising that they would be the ones with something to announce this week given Joe Belan was offering to help pay the expenses of Saskatchewan players to go to the open tryouts only a few months ago. They also have a temporary stadium plan based on the fairground grandstand that looks further along than anything either Laval or a BC team could do quickly at this point unless Swangard enters into the equation. If Duane Rollins has his finger on the pulse to the extent people think he does, Saskatoon would probably have been highlighted in his tweets?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

Langley or Surrey would be ideal IMO, especially with the new Langley-Surrey line coming into play and the region having like 500,000+ people within a 30 minute radius

I believe that Langley might be it after looking at the Skytrain expansion.

-Fast access to downtown Vancouver and Surrey

surreylangley_skytrain_extension_bus_rou

Edited by Ansem

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not really surprising that they would be the ones with something to announce this week given Joe Belan was offering to help pay the expenses of Saskatchewan players to go to the open tryouts only a few months ago. They also have a temporary stadium plan based on the fairground grandstand that looks further along than anything either Laval or a BC team could do quickly at this point unless Swangard enters into the equation. If Duane Rollins has his finger on the pulse to the extent people think he does, Saskatoon would probably have been highlighted in his tweets?

I think Belan lost one of his investment partners.  It's been a set-back for the Saskatoon entry.

13 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Would it be a good idea for the Quebec soccer Federation to mention to one of the ownership groups (Montreal Laval)to consider Quebec City instead????

They're probably of that opinion, but the ownership groups have a right to go after what makes the most sense to them financially. Perhaps both ownership groups aren't interested in managing a club in Québec City. 

4 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I think Belan lost one of his investment partners.  It's been a set-back for the Saskatoon entry.

It was his GM. He jumped ship to one of the 15 new basket ball leagues

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I believe that Langley might be it after looking at the Skytrain expansion.

-Fast access to downtown Vancouver and Surrey

surreylangley_skytrain_extension_bus_rou

I know the location is not what most are thinking of, but there are reasons I would also consider Percy Perry Stadium in Coquitlam. This is where we played a friendly vs. Scotland before the world u-20s in 2007.

One key factor is the municipal government, which is probably one of the most ambitious in terms of town planning, ensuring quality transit links, encouraging a multi-cultural community, and especially this: sports facilities. In fact, if you go online their information on fields is very detailed, and they seem to be ambitious about building more. I would imagine they would be receptive to a proposal to upgrade stands at Percy Perry. 

Now there is a track, and the track gets used. That is a clear drawback. I am not sure if they would look for a solution, including modular stands that could be moved. I also think that they just may have alternatives for tracks, though they do one track and field event yearly that is high profile.

Image result for percy perry stadium coquitlam bc

How about Swangard or BC Place?

Yeah, I know I am being far more ambitious than I would have been a year ago, but with the league debut nearly upon us I am feeling confidence that makes me want to believe that a team could compete deep in Whitecaps territory. Or perhaps - heaven help me - maybe the Caps themselves will jump to the CanPL.

crazy will ferrell GIF

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ted said:

How about Swangard or BC Place?

Yeah, I know I am being far more ambitious than I would have been a year ago, but with the league debut nearly upon us I am feeling confidence that makes me want to believe that a team could compete deep in Whitecaps territory. Or perhaps - heaven help me - maybe the Caps themselves will jump to the CanPL.

crazy will ferrell GIF

I just think that anything you do in the Lower Mainland is clearly in the Caps turf. And cuts into their market. So is a legit challenge to their pro hegemony in Metro Vancouver. 

If you look at the geography, BC Place is not in the centrepoint of the population distribution, it is north-west of it--the centre point may in fact be closer to Swangard (it'd be cool to be able to do this somehow online, using census data). 

I think the whole question is complicated, since we know many people make a day of it in downtown Vancouver to see the Caps. If you rarely go into town and live in the Valley, you could be on beaches, could shop, cycle, walk False Creek. Yes it is a haul in, but there are other incentives. 

As I live about a 10 min walk from BC Place when in Vancouver, I love it, and agree I would not go to anywhere else in the Lower Mainlaind to see soccer for any other reason than the game itself--no other location has the incentive of downtown Vancouver for me. Even me musing about the Pacific FC schedule and how to see games is helped by the fact I have two of my better friends in Victoria, otherwise I might not be thinking of going over there as much as I am. 

Swangard, with the track, is really not a good venue, the only thing remotely redeeming was the Southside ambience. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)

At this point in the game and definitely moving forward. Anything South of the Fraser River(except Richmond) is not really Vancouver. The 2 areas are so distinctly different and seperated. My opionion is there are 3 places you could make another professional soccer team in the Lower Mainland work. Surrey(Central City) Langley/Cloverdale or Abbotsford. Each have their own benefits and challenges. Much like everything in these parts it will come down to real estate and picking an area which isnt dominated by nimbies who'll shut anything down

Edited by SpursFlu

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

At this point in the game and definitely moving forward. Anything South of the Fraser River(except Richmond) is not really Vancouver. The 2 areas are so distinctly different and seperated. My opionion is there are 3 places you could make another professional soccer team in the Lower Mainland work. Surrey(Central City) Langley/Cloverdale or Abbotsford. Each have their own benefits and challenges

None of those people living in any of those places every says anything but "Vancouver" when travelling the world, or the rest of Canada, and are asked where they are from. 

What's more: ask anyone from any place in the Fraser Valley if they have pro soccer where they live, and they'll all say yes. Do you honestly believe someone in Delta or Langley would say no, where they live there is no team?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)

Im from Surrey. I always say im from Surrey 

There has been a new terminology going around to describe this area recently. South of Fraser. Would make for a hell of a club name

South of Fraser FC

Edited by SpursFlu

I think that the league will cautiously expand to stable markets with all the requirement of a good club that can grow 

with a current 7 team league I would venture to guess there will be 2 east teams added and one west team

surrey is a logical destination as is quebeceac city and laval

I would say Regina and another team in GTA/ Ottawa would be next

ii

Posted (edited)

Details of the Saskatoon announcement appear to be available here:

https://www.cjwwradio.com/2019/03/28/a-trial-balloon-to-see-if-saskatoon-has-a-taste-for-professional-soccer/

The SK Selects will play in a SK Summer Soccer Series and this is described as a stepping stone to having a professional team. Games will be at the Gordie Howe Bowl by the sounds of things. More details on further games still to be arranged along with out of province games also involved for the SK Selects team. CanPL mentioned specifically from 3:30 onwards.

Good news for CanPL that franchise number 8 seems to be very much in sight now all going well in fan interest terms with this series.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Regarding a Lower Mainland team, I think Surrey makes the most sense, especially if they can get it on a transit route. Living in Vancouver, I wouldn't go to many matches if I had to drive, but if I can easily take transit I'd go more often.  Langley isn't getting rapid transit for a decade, so it isn't worth talking about.  Coquitlam has rapid transit, but if you live south of the Fraser it isn't the easiest to get to by car.

It is a shame that the light rail option was pulled for Surrey as it would have increased the number of viable stadium locations.