CPL new teams speculation

17 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

Langley or Surrey would be ideal IMO, especially with the new Langley-Surrey line coming into play and the region having like 500,000+ people within a 30 minute radius

I believe that Langley might be it after looking at the Skytrain expansion.

-Fast access to downtown Vancouver and Surrey

surreylangley_skytrain_extension_bus_rou

Edited by Ansem

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not really surprising that they would be the ones with something to announce this week given Joe Belan was offering to help pay the expenses of Saskatchewan players to go to the open tryouts only a few months ago. They also have a temporary stadium plan based on the fairground grandstand that looks further along than anything either Laval or a BC team could do quickly at this point unless Swangard enters into the equation. If Duane Rollins has his finger on the pulse to the extent people think he does, Saskatoon would probably have been highlighted in his tweets?

I think Belan lost one of his investment partners.  It's been a set-back for the Saskatoon entry.

13 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Would it be a good idea for the Quebec soccer Federation to mention to one of the ownership groups (Montreal Laval)to consider Quebec City instead????

They're probably of that opinion, but the ownership groups have a right to go after what makes the most sense to them financially. Perhaps both ownership groups aren't interested in managing a club in Québec City. 

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I believe that Langley might be it after looking at the Skytrain expansion.

-Fast access to downtown Vancouver and Surrey

surreylangley_skytrain_extension_bus_rou

I know the location is not what most are thinking of, but there are reasons I would also consider Percy Perry Stadium in Coquitlam. This is where we played a friendly vs. Scotland before the world u-20s in 2007.

One key factor is the municipal government, which is probably one of the most ambitious in terms of town planning, ensuring quality transit links, encouraging a multi-cultural community, and especially this: sports facilities. In fact, if you go online their information on fields is very detailed, and they seem to be ambitious about building more. I would imagine they would be receptive to a proposal to upgrade stands at Percy Perry. 

Now there is a track, and the track gets used. That is a clear drawback. I am not sure if they would look for a solution, including modular stands that could be moved. I also think that they just may have alternatives for tracks, though they do one track and field event yearly that is high profile.

Image result for percy perry stadium coquitlam bc

How about Swangard or BC Place?

Yeah, I know I am being far more ambitious than I would have been a year ago, but with the league debut nearly upon us I am feeling confidence that makes me want to believe that a team could compete deep in Whitecaps territory. Or perhaps - heaven help me - maybe the Caps themselves will jump to the CanPL.

crazy will ferrell GIF

25 minutes ago, ted said:

How about Swangard or BC Place?

Yeah, I know I am being far more ambitious than I would have been a year ago, but with the league debut nearly upon us I am feeling confidence that makes me want to believe that a team could compete deep in Whitecaps territory. Or perhaps - heaven help me - maybe the Caps themselves will jump to the CanPL.

crazy will ferrell GIF

I just think that anything you do in the Lower Mainland is clearly in the Caps turf. And cuts into their market. So is a legit challenge to their pro hegemony in Metro Vancouver. 

If you look at the geography, BC Place is not in the centrepoint of the population distribution, it is north-west of it--the centre point may in fact be closer to Swangard (it'd be cool to be able to do this somehow online, using census data). 

I think the whole question is complicated, since we know many people make a day of it in downtown Vancouver to see the Caps. If you rarely go into town and live in the Valley, you could be on beaches, could shop, cycle, walk False Creek. Yes it is a haul in, but there are other incentives. 

As I live about a 10 min walk from BC Place when in Vancouver, I love it, and agree I would not go to anywhere else in the Lower Mainlaind to see soccer for any other reason than the game itself--no other location has the incentive of downtown Vancouver for me. Even me musing about the Pacific FC schedule and how to see games is helped by the fact I have two of my better friends in Victoria, otherwise I might not be thinking of going over there as much as I am. 

Swangard, with the track, is really not a good venue, the only thing remotely redeeming was the Southside ambience. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

At this point in the game and definitely moving forward. Anything South of the Fraser River(except Richmond) is not really Vancouver. The 2 areas are so distinctly different and seperated. My opionion is there are 3 places you could make another professional soccer team in the Lower Mainland work. Surrey(Central City) Langley/Cloverdale or Abbotsford. Each have their own benefits and challenges. Much like everything in these parts it will come down to real estate and picking an area which isnt dominated by nimbies who'll shut anything down

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

At this point in the game and definitely moving forward. Anything South of the Fraser River(except Richmond) is not really Vancouver. The 2 areas are so distinctly different and seperated. My opionion is there are 3 places you could make another professional soccer team in the Lower Mainland work. Surrey(Central City) Langley/Cloverdale or Abbotsford. Each have their own benefits and challenges

None of those people living in any of those places every says anything but "Vancouver" when travelling the world, or the rest of Canada, and are asked where they are from. 

What's more: ask anyone from any place in the Fraser Valley if they have pro soccer where they live, and they'll all say yes. Do you honestly believe someone in Delta or Langley would say no, where they live there is no team?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Im from Surrey. I always say im from Surrey 

There has been a new terminology going around to describe this area recently. South of Fraser. Would make for a hell of a club name

South of Fraser FC

Edited by SpursFlu

I think that the league will cautiously expand to stable markets with all the requirement of a good club that can grow 

with a current 7 team league I would venture to guess there will be 2 east teams added and one west team

surrey is a logical destination as is quebeceac city and laval

I would say Regina and another team in GTA/ Ottawa would be next

ii

Details of the Saskatoon announcement appear to be available here:

https://www.cjwwradio.com/2019/03/28/a-trial-balloon-to-see-if-saskatoon-has-a-taste-for-professional-soccer/

The SK Selects will play in a SK Summer Soccer Series and this is described as a stepping stone to having a professional team. Games will be at the Gordie Howe Bowl by the sounds of things. More details on further games still to be arranged along with out of province games also involved for the SK Selects team. CanPL mentioned specifically from 3:30 onwards.

Good news for CanPL that franchise number 8 seems to be very much in sight now all going well in fan interest terms with this series.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Regarding a Lower Mainland team, I think Surrey makes the most sense, especially if they can get it on a transit route. Living in Vancouver, I wouldn't go to many matches if I had to drive, but if I can easily take transit I'd go more often.  Langley isn't getting rapid transit for a decade, so it isn't worth talking about.  Coquitlam has rapid transit, but if you live south of the Fraser it isn't the easiest to get to by car.

It is a shame that the light rail option was pulled for Surrey as it would have increased the number of viable stadium locations.

44 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m pretty excited for a Saskatoon team to be honest.  It makes a natural rival for Winnipeg.

Similarly I’m excited for a GVA team for the rivalry with Victoria.

To me part of the entire league is building rivalries.  There needs to be one for Halifax still.

Is York 9 not their natural rival? That goes without saying, I'm not a Hamilton fan so I don't truly understand you're culture and what it takes to build a rivalry. Then again, York's a hell of a lot closer in distance than the other rivalries in the league.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I was very disappointed when the news from Sask slowed down considering how excited and vocal Belan was in the beginning.

Now I’m cautiously optimistic but this seems to be a similar approach as in Edmonton and Halifax so I’m thinking this is a really good sign!

I think team Sask is coming one way or another, it just a question of when and possibly still where. The eyes are fixed on Saskatoon but these games are the test to whether the city will support it, otherwise it might be plan b and Regina.

Given how almost all of the other CPL teams have full feeder systems established the ownership group are approaching this the right way. They were right not to pull the trigger for year one, as frustrating as it is to wait and see the CPL kick off. They weren't ready, the province arguably wasn't ready and if its going to happen it has to be right and well prepped.  

2020 is likely too soon for CPL but by the sounds of it not impossible. So much depends on the public reaction and support for these upcoming games and also maybe interest commercially. 

The select XI gives them a chance to build a player pool and give them a basis to grow if/when the time is right. 

Exciting times but high stakes for a soccer supporters in SK.  

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

...2020 is likely too soon for CPL...  

Not sure I follow? The league badly needs an eighth franchise and in the not too distant past Joe Belan was quoted as saying that Saskatchewan would probably have the seventh team after a six team soft launch in 2018 and was pushing the city council in Saskatoon for land for a downtown stadium after Taylor Field was demolished in Regina (which appeared to be the plan A stadium solution).

https://thestarphoenix.com/sports/soccer/saskatchewan-summer-soccer-series-a-pre-kicker-to-pro-soccer

... The goal is bringing professional soccer to Saskatoon with the aim of bringing the Canadian Premier League — “a league built by Canadians for Canadians,” said Belan — to the city.

There are seven teams who will play in the CPL’s inaugural season. They include FC Edmonton, York 9 FC, Calvary FC, Valour FC (Winnipeg), HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax), Forge FC (Hamilton) and Pacific FC.

“We’d like to join the league when we’re ready,” said Belan, adding the summer series was a stepping-stone to establishing that pathway.

“We’re exceeding some of our expectations already. That’s a very positive early signal.” ...

If this series goes well, 2020 is probably very much in their plans, if they have a viable temporary stadium solution sorted out (think RobNotenboom has stated on here that this isn't an issue). In a similar way to the Ottawa Fury, the reason to go slow given the seven figure sums of money involved before you get to kick a ball in anger could simply be to double check that the league isn't going to be one and done. It won't take long for it to be obvious, which way the wind is blowing. The key metric on that moving forward as Paul Beirne pointed out recently on a podcast is season ticket renewal rates and the verdict will probably be in on that by late this year.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure I follow?

Well you posted your answers in your post and the posts in the Saskatoon thread.

“We’d like to join the league when we’re ready,” said Belan, adding the summer series was a stepping-stone to establishing that pathway.

What I said  though was my own guarded, expectation dampening opinion rather than any inside info. We went from heavily rumoured to being among the inaugural teams, that passing by and then us not ready. Then 2020 or 21. In the posts you shared (last nights talk in) 2022 was even thrown out.

The financial backing seems to be there and i think the temporary stadium at Exhibition is all but signed off. So what is "ready"?

I am very cautiously optimistic 2020 is a possibility but when they are throwing out 3 years. 2021 seems the most realistic one. If i was them before pulling the trigger for 2020 they need to use these games to see: 

• Support and sustained crowd in Saskatoon, not just the initial game which if it isn't a sellout would be a shock and disappointment verging on disaster. Its keeping those crowds for the other games too. (This also largely depends on the fan experience off the field as much as on..which the ball is in the organizers court)
  • Drawing community sponsors and support
  • Maybe putting some pressure on city council as on the outside it appears building a downtown stadium is a no go. 
  • Seeing if the player pool they have is near enough ready with supplementation to compete.

Thats all just my hyperbole though not any revelation or ITK.