CPL new teams speculation

The local college is trying to acquire a sports field in downtown Charlottetown. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-holland-college-event-grounds-progress-1.5055114

Probably Utopian, but it would be nice if they could "future-proof" their plans so that a D2-level team could eventually use something like this as their home field.  Immediate proximity to our second biggest post-secondary institution and walking distance to the downtown bar scene (though Islanders tend to view "walking distance" more skeptically than most...). 

I doubt it is on the radar, but the location is right on the water, and you would only have so many opportunities to access that kind of real estate close to the downtown core.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

After ten teams, and up to 13 or so, you have a bit of a headache. You are almost certainly forced to think about a regular season and then a championship round, or add playoffs, or go to a very unbalanced schedule. 

That's the beauty of the Apertura/Clausura, you don't have to have a balanced schedule, just choose the number of games you want to play, divide the season in half and the winner of each half has a chance to win the title. NASL used it even as it added additional teams, so why not CPL while it fleshes out its structure?

Edited by Initial B

34 minutes ago, Initial B said:

That's the beauty of the Apertura/Clausura, you don't have to have a balanced schedule, just choose the number of games you want to play, divide the season in half and the winner of each half has a chance to win the title. NASL used it even as it added additional teams, so why not CPL while it fleshes out its structure?

I think if you analyse what I am saying, you'll see that is not a solution at all: you cannot avoid an unbalanced schedule by dividing it in half. Or maybe I don't understand you, you'll have to explain how two halves solves not playing each team the same number of times home and away.

I know that in N America we are used to unbalanced schedules, but they are previews to widely participated playoffs which are essentially systems to accomodate margin of error and soften the injustice of the regular season. 

I understand that it's unbalanced, and you can't fight that while the league expands and teams don't fall within certain multiples. But does the general public (who they're trying to convert) care? I think the CPL execs realize that they will not have a 28-game, completely fair schedule until they get First Division to either 8 or 15 teams. Once that  Div 1 stability is reached, they'll start working on doing the same at Div 2, even as it expands.

In the meantime, they will continue with the Apertura/Clausura format and have playoffs without calling them as such (though I understand not wanting the general public's perception thinking playoffs will be normal for the CPL). It's also why I think the CPL will split into Div 1 and Div 2 as soon as it is viable to do so, which would be at 16 total teams. 

Edited by Initial B

38 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I understand that it's unbalanced, and you can't fight that while the league expands and teams don't fall within certain multiples. I think the CPL execs realize that they will not have a 28-game, completely fair schedule until they get First Division to either 8 or 15 teams. Once that  Div 1 stability is reached, they'll start working on doing the same at Div 2, even as it expands.

In the meantime, they will continue with the Apertura/Clausura format and have playoffs without calling them as such (though I understand not wanting to get the general public thinking playoffs will be normal for the CPL). It's also why I think the CPL will split into Div 1 and Div 2 as soon as it is viable to do so, which would be at 16 total teams. 

I personally think they won't repeat this year's format. If they do have a first and then second half, and get the champ from that, let it be two even seasons. 

Even then, I don't like that final match between winners of two halves, because one is recent, the other far off, and the final does not correspond to a clear curve of winning form.

True, but I think the CPL has made certain statements and they don't want public perception of backtracking for at least the first couple of years. I think we're looking at Apertura/Clausura at least until they split Div 1 and Div 2. The fact that they're starting using the same format the NASL did makes me think the Faths have had some influence on league structure and growth plan using their experiences in that league.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I get why they want to get into the Quebec market...but how feasible is a second team in BC...? Where would it go?

I still think Fraser Valley has to be it. 

I was thinking that the Whitecaps has nipped this at the bud by strengthening their Canadian contingent. But if the results are as poor as they look like they may be, and if they spend the Davies money poorly, they are going to be an easy target and won't be able to defend their market position.

Would 2-3000 Whitecaps fans switch teams if the new product was done right, at a good location and with the narratives that Whitecaps keep missing? I think so. Add the price adjustment, which gets a different crowd in, more families, and you could easily see it working (assuming you would draw another 3000 from fans who do not attend BC Place regularly).

But I do think that it would cut into Caps attendance, maybe not a lot, but by 10-15%, for sure. The only thing Caps can do to avoid that is to play well and win, and get the city behind them for once.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

33 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And against what I believed in the past...

If this turns out to be true I owe @Ansem an apology!

None needed lol!

Hope more people realizes that CPL isn't the CSA. Just like MLS this is Sports Business

It's unfortunate "Sport community-wise", but this is a business and good business decisions ensures the bills gets paid. This league is bigger than the Fury and seems like they just got told.

What I've learned in business, if you need to reach an objective deemed vital (Canada's Capital) but an obstacle gets in your way, you remove it. It was a predictable business decision that CPL would seek to compete if they were in a position to do so and OSEG showed no signs of coming into the fold in acceptable timetable

43 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And against what I believed in the past...

If this turns out to be true I owe @Ansem an apology!

He was never wrong about there being interest in creating a non-Fury team (the CPL themselves said as much).  I think he interpreted what the CPL said incorrectly, and this tweet kind of confirms that. It remains unknown if they'd be able to pull off a second team in Ottawa or not or what options exist in Ottawa to create the team (stadium and what fan feelings are towards the Fury).

37 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Where's Saskatoon in all of this would be an obvious question given Joe Belan described that at one point as being the probable team #7 after a 6 team 2018 soft launch.

Also curious. The bid seemed further along than most other bids that were outside the original 7.

Edited by matty

With respect to the team in Fraser Valley, just remember that the caps play DT Vancouver. If you place a team east enough you can draw those caps fans that are too far away to maybe make it the game on a regular basis. Its also a lot closer to Abbotsford and chilliwack, which has 100,000+ ppl to draw from. This can totally be done if you only need 5-6,000 people. 

13 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

With respect to the team in Fraser Valley, just remember that the caps play DT Vancouver. If you place a team east enough you can draw those caps fans that are too far away to maybe make it the game on a regular basis. Its also a lot closer to Abbotsford and chilliwack, which has 100,000+ ppl to draw from. This can totally be done if you only need 5-6,000 people. 

My geography is limited on Metro Vancouver but does Langley really makes sense?

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

My geography is limited on Metro Vancouver but does Langley really makes sense?

Langley or Surrey would be ideal IMO, especially with the new Langley-Surrey line coming into play and the region having like 500,000+ people within a 30 minute radius

Edited by Senorpopps

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not really surprising that they would be the ones with something to announce this week given Joe Belan was offering to help pay the expenses of Saskatchewan players to go to the open tryouts only a few months ago. They also have a temporary stadium plan based on the fairground grandstand that looks further along than anything either Laval or a BC team could do quickly at this point unless Swangard enters into the equation. If Duane Rollins has his finger on the pulse to the extent people think he does, Saskatoon would probably have been highlighted in his tweets?