lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

23 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Agree that 2026 is key. That's 8 seasons from now.

For comparison, for the first 8 years of MLS, they went from 10 to 12 to 10 teams. In the next 8 years, they went from 10 to 18 teams. If the CPL can follow the second MLS trajectory rather the first, then at that point the CPL will be 8 years old with hopefully an 8-team Div 1 and a 10-team Div 2 with Pro-Rel between them. Maybe it would look something like this:

image.thumb.png.cfdb8f0bd028815e28eb7123bf0b9ffe.png

The day Mississagau is in top flight to the detriment of Pacific FC I will eat moose **** for breakfast. On rye.

Really, why do people come up with these insulting little lists based on absolutely NOTHING except wiki demographic searches. What do you get from being demeaning to two founding teams and sticking in two teams, in top flight, that no one has even talked about?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mississagau

It's Mississauga. Show some respect for the 6th largest city in Canada.

Edited by RS

If we are going based on demographics I don't see why the Niagara region couldn't have a team. A well placed stadium can draw crowds from St Kitts, Niagara Falls AND Welland ... which has a combined population of 400k if I'm not mistaken.

5k seated in division 2 is a bit much. 1-2k seated with a couple terraces would be fine. That way the stadium is full and has a good atmosphere. Start small and grow the stadium with the club. Also i'd imagine a club like FC London turns fully pro and tries to enter the 2nd tier before a brand new club is created there.

5 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

If we are going based on demographics I don't see why the Niagara region couldn't have a team. A well placed stadium can draw crowds from St Kitts, Niagara Falls AND Welland ... which has a combined population of 400k if I'm not mistaken.

Been saying Niagara would be a good prospect. LOTS of tourists, probably the funnest city in Ontario so many southern Ontarians are there as well, easy to partner/package deals with one of the many attraction providers, strong European(Italian,Serbian) roots, strong soccer roots(more st kitts), and it's a city that can draw from it's American neighbours(literally walk across the rainbow bridge)

23 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Every one you mentioned is fine except Peladeau, I don't think he's interested in anything Canadian.?

True but his "nationalistic" roots will make it too hard to resist. A Quebec - French team beating Canadian teams might be hard to resist. Souverainists tends to succumb to the need to prove they can do just as well or better than English Canada :D

26 minutes ago, RS said:

It's Mississauga. Show some respect for the 6th largest city in Canada.

pfft doesn't even have its own police force. gonna probably get merged into a single city with the rest of peel in a year or 2

also brampton has a better art gallery

Edited by matty

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

True but his "nationalistic" roots will make it too hard to resist. A Quebec - French team beating Canadian teams might be hard to resist. Souverainists tends to succumb to the need to prove they can do just as well or better than English Canada :D

In a way it would be great to have a team to hate as a rival to a Laval/Mtl team.?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really, why do people come up with these insulting little lists based on absolutely NOTHING except wiki demographic searches. What do you get from being demeaning to two founding teams and sticking in two teams, in top flight, that no one has even talked about?

Sigh. Fine. Here's a closer to final state that I could see the league becoming Circa 2040. This should include just about every possible location for a club.

image.thumb.png.c675e78427afcf7dfda1a4b0ac91e15c.png

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

Been saying Niagara would be a good prospect. LOTS of tourists, probably the funnest city in Ontario so many southern Ontarians are there as well, easy to partner/package deals with one of the many attraction providers, strong European(Italian,Serbian) roots, strong soccer roots(more st kitts), and it's a city that can draw from it's American neighbours(literally walk across the rainbow bridge)

And from what I understand, the Niagara Falls side of America blows - even greater reason to visit. What city would you place the stadium in? I don't see placing it in the obscure rural region between three cities a viable choice if you want to attract walk-ins. 

I don't see why the league does not try and load up teams around the Toronto region. The Golden Horseshoe itself can probably support 5 (York FC, Forge FC, Niagara team, Peel-Halton team and Durham team) maybe 6 teams along with London and K/W being a reasonable drive from a Toronto airport. Considering that away travel will be one of if not the biggest expense (not an economist), adding a team in Toronto incentivizes adding another b/c it drastically reduces the away travel cost. As for teams not in the Toronto area, whenever I look for vacations, the cheapest deals are almost always out of T-dot. This means having more teams in that area also reduces the travel cost for teams from Victoria all the way to Halifax (Cannot wait to use St. Johns as my east-coast example one day).

9 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

I don't see why the league does not try and load up teams around the Toronto region. The Golden Horseshoe itself can probably support 5 (York FC, Forge FC, Niagara team, Peel-Halton team and Durham team) maybe 6 teams along with London and K/W being a reasonable drive from a Toronto airport. Considering that away travel will be one of if not the biggest expense (not an economist), adding a team in Toronto incentivizes adding another b/c it drastically reduces the away travel cost. As for teams not in the Toronto area, whenever I look for vacations, the cheapest deals are almost always out of T-dot. This means having more teams in that area also reduces the travel cost for teams from Victoria all the way to Halifax (Cannot wait to use St. Johns as my east-coast example one day).

Being a Canadian League, having a presence in every provinces must be a goal the league is actively pursuing...

Just now, Ansem said:

Being a Canadian League, having a presence in every provinces must be a goal the league is actively pursuing...

I agree with every province, save PEI, having a team. I guess what I'm trying to say is we shouldn't shy away from having teams in as many of the Golden Horseshoe pockets as possible. It may make away travel more financially easier. Victoria to Toronto is a whole lot cheaper than Victoria to Halifax or St. Johns. 

23 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

And from what I understand, the Niagara Falls side of America blows - even greater reason to visit. What city would you place the stadium in? I don't see placing it in the obscure rural region between three cities a viable choice if you want to attract walk-ins. 

I'd go Oakes Park-the potential views of downtown Niagara Falls in the back drop??

7 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

I agree with every province, save PEI, having a team. I guess what I'm trying to say is we shouldn't shy away from having teams in as many of the Golden Horseshoe pockets as possible. It may make away travel more financially easier. Victoria to Toronto is a whole lot cheaper than Victoria to Halifax or St. Johns. 

There must be investors willing to invest in the GH. Also, I think the league has a plan of where it wants it's teams to first be located.

ex: KW or London is more urgent than Sherbrooke, Moncton must be more urgent than Oshawa

34 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

And a friendly "**** you" to you sir.  

- a proud Islander

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And a friendly "**** you" to you sir.  

- a proud Islander

Sorry for offending you, it's just my islander friend told me soccer is not well supported on the island and as such I just can't see 3-4% of the population coming out for a game. That and the 50$ toll fee is daunting for anyone on the NB side to come and watch. Please prove me wrong ... the island's a beautiful place for the beautiful game. 

5 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Sorry for offending you, it's just my islander friend told me soccer is not well supported on the island and as such I just can't see 3-4% of the population coming out for a game. That and the 50$ toll fee is daunting for anyone on the NB side to come and watch. Please prove me wrong ... the island's a beautiful place for the beautiful game. 

That's the beauty of a tiered structure.  You don't need to jump in at D1.  And assuming a reasonable level of growth, it is clear that with some provinces represented multiple times, there probably won't be every province represented in D1 anyway.  It is quite possible that within 5 or 6 years, there could be 5 or 6 teams in Ontario, 2 in QC, 2 in BC, and 2 in AB.  Throw in teams in the other provinces, and it likely isn't just PEI on the outside looking in.  Plus in a pro-real system, it isn't just about the size of you stadium - it's what you do with it :)

Edited by dyslexic nam

If we're looking at markets that have 200k+ in population, I am hereby declaring that Vanier + Orléans/PR, Ontario should be included. There are 296,000 Franco-Ontarians in Eastern Ontario, and of those 90% are in between Ottawa - Hawkesbury. We should have a Franco-Ontarian team, called CS Jeanne D'Arc (named for the street in Orléans, not ripping off the French hero), playing out of Le terrain des Gee-Gees, on Lees Avenue. This stadium already has the added benefit of already having a giant frickin' Franco-Ontarian flag mounted out front. It could also partner with Collège La Cité and uOttawa to snap up some of the local Franco talent to bolster the ranks. 

I don't know how, but they also need to find a way to make Amanda Simard the mascot, coach, team captain and goalkeeper all at the same time. 

image.png.df13311c0bf4bec002185273ee0a57e1.png

Yeah, and if Moncton gets a team before Ottawa joins the league, it should be called "Evangeline FC" and play at Stade de Moncton at Université de Moncton. Calling it. 

When the league was talking about 200k+ to be a viable CPL location, they left out an important aspect out of it publicly but you just know that it weights a ton...

Corporate presence

Those $1k seats that sold out at York University and those multi-hundreds dollars plates during that York 9 event(so I've heard) Corporation $$$

Those crazy expensive seats at Spruce Meadows are likely aimed at Corporations as well, not your average middle class family of 4.

I would argue that an area with 300k but little to no corporate presence makes it less desirable, for D1 at least. Looking at the census, despite Barrie ranking higher in population, Moncton makes way more sense due to it's corporate weight (Irving). Same for Niagara-St.Cath having double St.John's population but they have Oil companies like ExxonMobil Canada having it's HQ there.

A strong Corporate presence that spends on the product (recurring expansive season tickets, concessions and merchandise) helps the clubs being less dependent on lower tier ticket sales.  I think CPL did a much better job in that area than the CSL ever did, hence its demise. That was actually a Clanachan main talking point, corporate Canada seems as shown up and it seems that it will be an increasing trend.

Isn't that the whole point of CSB after all? Can't be a major league without corporate money.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

If we're looking at markets that have 200k+ in population, I am hereby declaring that Vanier + Orléans/PR, Ontario should be included. There are 296,000 Franco-Ontarians in Eastern Ontario, and of those 90% are in between Ottawa - Hawkesbury. We should have a Franco-Ontarian team, called CS Jeanne D'Arc (named for the street in Orléans, not ripping off the French hero), playing out of Le terrain des Gee-Gees, on Lees Avenue. This stadium already has the added benefit of already having a giant frickin' Franco-Ontarian flag mounted out front. It could also partner with Collège La Cité and uOttawa to snap up some of the local Franco talent to bolster the ranks. 

I don't know how, but they also need to find a way to make Amanda Simard the mascot, coach, team captain and goalkeeper all at the same time. 

image.png.df13311c0bf4bec002185273ee0a57e1.png

Yeah, and if Moncton gets a team before Ottawa joins the league, it should be called "Evangeline FC" and play at Stade de Moncton at Université de Moncton. Calling it. 

Question : do you think franco ontarians would get behind a Gatineau team? Those 290k would be a nice boost to the 330k possible fanbase in Gatineau. And you'd get a "better" corporate presence at the same time. 

Edited by fmfranck

I haven't looked at the Rollins thread.  Is it a joke ?

There aren't even amateur french teams in Winnipeg or MB.  Never can I recall a french team in Molson Super Soccer Alliance or MMSL Premier.   Anyone suggesting MB needs a french team team to rival Valour is an idiot. 

Valour is our team, regardless of language.

Hopefully Rollins tweet is in jest.

13 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I haven't looked at the Rollins thread.  Is it a joke ?

There aren't even amateur french teams in Winnipeg or MB.  Never can I recall a french team in Molson Super Soccer Alliance or MMSL Premier.   Anyone suggesting MB needs a french team team to rival Valour is an idiot. 

Valour is our team, regardless of language.

Hopefully Rollins tweet is in jest.

Yea, not enough francos left in Manitoba to build a club identity around, unfortunately. People have this notion that Manitoba has a french heritage because of what we learn in history books. But the french population went from being the majority, to 10% at the turn of the previous century, to 5% for most of it, and it is now at less than 3.3%. No way can that sustain a professional team. (just checked and there's 8.6% billinguals, still think it isnt as viable as a francophone team in Moncton and Gatineau).

Edited by fmfranck

Rollins cant be serious?? Has he ever been to Winnipeg/manitoba??  More chance of having a Dynamo Ukraine team playing out of the new S. JUBA memorial stadium.  Or maybe try a Filipino team.....franco-manitoban...I think he is smoking something.