Jump to content
lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

Recommended Posts

On 2/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, Stryker911 said:

100%. A recently booked trip from Toronto to Sault is more expensive than a round trip from Toronto to Rome.

My Dad flew down last weekend to Hamilton from the Soo.  Flew down on AC and back home on Porter.  The Soo is a tricky place to fly too.

I can fly Hamilton to Halifax or Victoria cheaper than Toronto to the Soo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, Keegan said:

The best scenario for Canadian soccer and everyone involved is if a CPL2 is created and the 3 MLS teams can have B squads that are unable to promote. 

Anything else is bad business, for CPL at least.  

I couldn't say anything better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mtlsab said:

I couldn't say anything better!

I used to think that as well but now I'm thinking with the proper controls in place it might not be a bad thing.

Controls like:

- Max 4/5 loanees per team

- No more than 2 loanees per team

- Players must be sold for fair market value

- Contracts cannot be terminated  so players can resign with Clubs owned by the same organization

- Team must have it's own youth academy

- Team must have its own President and keep all dealings at arms length.

This would stifle movement of players enough to prevent it from seeming minor league. Additionally, the team would have to be in a different market, have unique branding, and have to invest or risk losing fans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, zen said:

I used to think that as well but now I'm thinking with the proper controls in place it might not be a bad thing.

Controls like:

- Max 4/5 loanees per team (I assume this means per MLS team)

- No more than 2 loanees per team  (I assume this means per CPL team)

- Players must be sold for fair market value

- Contracts cannot be terminated  so players can resign with Clubs owned by the same organization

- Team must have it's own youth academy

- Team must have its own President and keep all dealings at arms length.

This would stifle movement of players enough to prevent it from seeming minor league. Additionally, the team would have to be in a different market, have unique branding, and have to invest or risk losing fans.

 

When I defend the idea of MLSE (or whatever that firewalled entity looks like) owning a CPL team, these are exactly the kinds of safeguards I envision the league requiring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

When I defend the idea of MLSE (or whatever that firewalled entity looks like) owning a CPL team, these are exactly the kinds of safeguards I envision the league requiring. 

I mean that each CPL team is allowed to take on only 4/5 loanees. Players are an asset and CPL teams should own their own talent.

And I mean, CPL teams can't pick take on more than 2 loanees from the same team, MLS or otherwise

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ansem said:

When you start designing rules aimed at one specific league... you don't get more "B" league than that. If that's the only way to allow an MLS teams to own a CPL team, it's best that you simply deny them altogether.

That's why the rules I suggested were very general and not at all specific to MLS. The rules would prevent Chelsea to do with a CPL team what they currently do at Vitesse, hypothetically speaking lool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Thanks for the article but is there an english option/version on the site? Would love to read it.

No, I'm sorry, the website is in French only. There may be a podcast in English about expansion soon. I will let you know :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

Do you see Quebec City getting a CPL team?? (as you mentioned Laval but not Quebec City)

 

 

I don't see Quebec city getting a team soon since there's no investor behind the project and no suitable stadium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mtlsab said:

I don't see Quebec city getting a team soon since there's no investor behind the project and no suitable stadium

The stadium at Laval is nearly perfect for CPL. All it needs is fresh unmarked turf. If the University isn't cool with that, these new modular stadiums can pop up anywhere in weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So assuming we get Laval, Ottawa and TFC Mississauga we’ll call them, for 2020. Can the league somehow increase the level of competition ? Surely there aren’t that many quality Canadians left...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s still at least 11 notable Canadian players out of contract night now.  

Ottawa has its own roster that’s largely intact.  There’s about 30 Canadian’s playing in other USL teams and at least a couple dozen more in Europe watching the first season.

There’s still lots of player pool out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

There’s still at least 11 notable Canadian players out of contract night now.  

Ottawa has its own roster that’s largely intact.  There’s about 30 Canadian’s playing in other USL teams and at least a couple dozen more in Europe watching the first season.

There’s still lots of player pool out there.

And new kids throwing their hats into the talent pool each passing year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I assume the PLSQ would stock much of Laval.

There’s about 8-9 former Montreal players in CanPL, L1O, USL or PQSL.  That probably becomes Laval’s core I would think.  Plus the cream of PQSL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

So assuming we get Laval, Ottawa and TFC Mississauga we’ll call them, for 2020. Can the league somehow increase the level of competition ? Surely there aren’t that many quality Canadians left...

I think that all depends on whether the Canadians abroad come back - there are still quite a few Canadians plying their trade internationally that could return, but we'll need a successful first season to draw them in! That, and I imagine we'd have to start to rely on loans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

There’s still at least 11 notable Canadian players out of contract night now.  

Ottawa has its own roster that’s largely intact.  There’s about 30 Canadian’s playing in other USL teams and at least a couple dozen more in Europe watching the first season.

There’s still lots of player pool out there.

We also have a set up where we get 21 U-Sports players a year, so that is 3 for any new team. 

They can look at players in NCAA not drafted into MLS. 

We are seeing now MLS waivers, and loans, and some good picks at that. 

If the L1O players pan out, then the value of that league jumps significantly. 

Then, finally, we are probably going to see something this summer: the better PDL players, the top ones, being picked up for the second half of the season. After all, Cavalry has most of Foothills and if they do well, that will justify the interest there too. I know this is not the top tier of our rosters, but it does ensure more in the pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to pick up on the previous post. It is not directly related to players, but to league quality. 

In many top leagues in the world we have seen debates on how quality can only be preserved by reducing the number of teams. Now league size is not only a question of optimal quality, as there are also considerations of freeing up fixtures for international and cup competitions, but historically the debate has been made.

This is why Serie A and Bundesliga cut back (for this latter the winter break was also a factor). There was a time when La Liga had 22 (and even 21 one year). In any case the argument is there: more teams means more teams of a lesser quality, more filler, more fixtures vs teams that are of lesser interest for fans (even fans of weaker teams do not want to see similar sides, they prefer the more notorious ones). It does not necessarily mean more better players, as the lesser teams simply cannot go out and take them from economically weaker leagues. 

In countries with small leagues, like Scotland, or Austria, the key is that there is a drop-off in quality and strength of clubs, largely due to the country's size leaving you with a few stronger clubs, and then quickly clubs in smaller stadiums and lesser economic clout. The tv market does not compensate this, as the audiences drop off brusquely for the weaker sides. This curve could appear in CPL if we add teams. I am not sure we are there yet, and we have a few markets that suggest that there is a way to go (Greater Victoria and lower Van Isle puts this at half a million population in a vicinity of say 100 km).

Now the question of player pool is also a factor, but will only appear as flagrant if some teams, in superior economic mode, can sign the better ones, and the lesser and marginal types entering into clubs on the fringe of its quality go to weaker teams. This is a reason for a cap that goes beyond the question of helping clubs manage finances and not overspend, to ensure none is overextended and thus in risk of failure. A cap softens the effect of having players from semi-pro and amateur ranks coming into a league, even one moving towards 14 teams, and making it obviously of poorer quality with every addition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I want to pick up on the previous post. It is not directly related to players, but to league quality. 

In many top leagues in the world we have seen debates on how quality can only be preserved by reducing the number of teams. Now league size is not only a question of optimal quality, as there are also considerations of freeing up fixtures for international and cup competitions, but historically the debate has been made.

This is why Serie A and Bundesliga cut back (for this latter the winter break was also a factor). There was a time when La Liga had 22 (and even 21 one year). In any case the argument is there: more teams means more teams of a lesser quality, more filler, more fixtures vs teams that are of lesser interest for fans (even fans of weaker teams do not want to see similar sides, they prefer the more notorious ones). It does not necessarily mean more better players, as the lesser teams simply cannot go out and take them from economically weaker leagues. 

In countries with small leagues, like Scotland, or Austria, the key is that there is a drop-off in quality and strength of clubs, largely due to the country's size leaving you with a few stronger clubs, and then quickly clubs in smaller stadiums and lesser economic clout. The tv market does not compensate this, as the audiences drop off brusquely for the weaker sides. This curve could appear in CPL if we add teams. I am not sure we are there yet, and we have a few markets that suggest that there is a way to go (Greater Victoria and lower Van Isle puts this at half a million population in a vicinity of say 100 km).

Now the question of player pool is also a factor, but will only appear as flagrant if some teams, in superior economic mode, can sign the better ones, and the lesser and marginal types entering into clubs on the fringe of its quality go to weaker teams. This is a reason for a cap that goes beyond the question of helping clubs manage finances and not overspend, to ensure none is overextended and thus in risk of failure. A cap softens the effect of having players from semi-pro and amateur ranks coming into a league, even one moving towards 14 teams, and making it obviously of poorer quality with every addition. 

I was just talking yesterday with a coach in my hometown on the South Shore of Montreal (name and town withheld by request) and he said that the optimal size for the CPL should be 14 to 16 teams.  I suggested there then should be 2 groups of 8 (group A and Group B) with pro/rel between the groups, (ie within the CPL, but NOT between CPL and PLSQ, L1O, etc) and he thought that was a great idea.

As well the other concern is how many CPL teams can a region or province support?  Talking with this coach again he felt that Quebec could support 2 CPL teams in the province (Quebec City and possible Montreal Laval).   At an Impact Academy game I went to in Nov. 2018 I saw some people from Nova Scotia (who had sons playing on the team) and when I asked how many CPL teams Atlantic Canada could support, they felt that only 1 team would be viable to represent the whole region.  Not really 2(Halifax and Moncton)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...