Jump to content

CPL new teams speculation


Recommended Posts

D’abord, la grosse nouvelle de la journée. La Canadian Premier League, la nouvelle ligue canadienne de soccer qui va entreprendre sa première saison en 2019, veut absolument avoir une concession à Québec. Tellement que Tom Moser, chargé du développement financier de la ligue, tentait hier de joindre Marcel Aubut pour l’inviter dans l’aventure.

En plus, Moser a discuté avec Alain April, copropriétaire du Bonne Entente à Québec pour savoir si le groupe d’hommes d’affaires œuvrant avec Jacques Tanguay pourrait être intéressé par l’investissement.

La Canadian Premier League a des équipes à Victoria, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Halifax, Calgary, York dans la région de Toronto, et Winnipeg. Mais Tom Moser vient tout juste de recevoir le mandat d’implanter deux équipes au Québec.

« La ville de Québec est notre objectif premier. C’est la capitale et en plus, on sait que c’est un excellent marché pour le sport », a expliqué Moser.

La CPL songe également à sonder le marché de Sherbrooke, mais un groupe de Saguenay serait également intéressé.

Les équipes vont être formées à 80 % de joueurs canadiens. Les coachs et les dirigeants devront être canadiens. Une entente commerciale a déjà été signée avec les équipes masculine et féminine olympiques.

Le coût de la concession est de 3 millions $. L’équivalent d’une équipe de la Ligue de hockey junior majeur du Québec. On estime avoir besoin d’environ 6000 spectateurs pour faire ses frais. Sans parler des revenus potentiels de télé et de radio.

Source: http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/06/11/on-veut-quebec-dans-la-canadian-premier-league

 

Who is Tom Roser???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rheo said:

Here’s who’s interested in Sherbrooke https://bit.ly/2JNYEEj

The Sherbrooke Mistral is targeting the Canadian Premier League!

The Mistral de Sherbrooke has ambitions for its younger generations. After targeting the PLSQ for 2019, the coach and technical director of the club, Vincent Orsida, hopes to enter the Canadian Premier League soon, which will start next year! Although he knows that completing the specifications will be a very difficult task ... including a stadium of 6,000 seats and a budget of around $ 10 million.

Vincent, why aim for the Canadian Premier League?

My main goal is to develop soccer in my club. We are targeting the PLSQ in 2019 for our young AAA team, but if we can go directly to the Canadian Premier League, why not go for it? We must ask ourselves the question of the interest of going to the highest. Sherbrooke is present in the Major Junior Hockey League, why not in soccer? With our 4,000 licensees, we have as much legitimacy at this level as with Saskatoon or Halifax.

Do you have a team to compete?

Our team is composed of young players. The goal will be to discover first. In addition, some very good players who have left Sherbrooke will want to come back. Finally, we have a very interesting pool with a lot of players ready to be trained. Where are the brakes? For me, all the signals are green.

The specifications provide for a stadium of 6,000 places. Do you have an idea in mind?

The Olympic Stadium has 3,000 seats. Could we add structures around? It is true that we always want more but we are already well supplied in terms of infrastructure. The municipality of Sherbrooke loves sports and the university network is well equipped. Why not civil soccer? Councilors pushed for the merger of the Sherbrooke clubs to give birth to the Mistral. Former players and coaches should be behind this project. It is a political will that would allow us to go. We all want to go as high as possible! Although it is true that we would like to have our own stadium.

We had a lot of excitement last summer on your U17 Canadian Championship, which ended with a silver medal. Do you think you can experience such communion with your team?

I am convinced that soccer has a lot to gain in Sherbrooke. A hundred spectators come to watch AAA games at home. Few amateur teams can boast of having such an audience. With communication, the fans will be ready to invest. I know this project is difficult to achieve, but I believe it hard!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

We had about 100 spectators he says? Hopefully that’s just poor translation.. I’ve played in men’s leagues that get that many.  Heck that could just be parents and siblings. 

I'm a frnech speaking and in the originial (french) version, he said 100 spectators ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

While I twiddle my sour grape filled thumbs working out which or if I can actually support any CPL team without Saskatoon (at least initially) involved, I take a little solace on today's announcement. 

While I am pissed the Canadian Elite Basketball will have at least a years head start in this city to attract a fan base and stole Lee Grenier away, the soccer team has maybe dodged a bullet not getting branded with this:    

Sask.-Rattlers-e1530650668943.jpg

Hope they come out to this: 

WelloffDimpledDachshund-size_restricted.giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some suggestions I have for team names for forthcoming teams and those that have been mooted/speculated. These  have been a specially selected to take into account current political trends and accusations.

The Victoria Virtue-Signallers

The Mississauga Misogynists 

The Windsor White Privilege

The Quebec We Built This City on Francophone Rock and Roll

The Flin Flon Flip Floppers (first signing Neymar) 

The Saskatchewan Social Justice Warriors 

Fenelon Falls Fake News-givers

St. John’s Safe Space Invaders (just think of the possible video game licences and cross promotions!)

Saint John Sensitivity-Trainers

The Sherbrooke Surely We Can’t Be Serious With this Post and Please Call Us Sherbrooke

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2018 at 5:42 PM, toontownman said:

Won't be Saskatoon unless there are major developments. Aiming for 2020 ?or 2021 ? is last I heard throught the FB group. It is a shame because they will have to put in work to recreate the buzz around being involved in inaugural season and have let the new pro basketball team grab at least a years head start.  

Here's hoping though.

On the other hand we do get to see what mistakes the other clubs make this first year and, hopefully, are able to hit the ground running in season 2 or 3. Joe will be a great owner for the club - I know he will not spare the expense to put together a strong, competitive squad.

Plus once things launch,  if it does indeed start at the Exhibition grand stand temporary ground, that grand stand is a beauty and will serve as a fantastic first home for the club!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will soon get over my pouting and sulking period. Happy to see how the league is shaping up so far in terms of the cities club's are in.

What matters most is that the correct amount of preparation is done so when a team does come here it is both here for the long term and ready to hit the ground running as well as it can. 

That said, is there anything we can do to help that cause other than continue to spread the gospel and sit and wait on news?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Id say Ottawa gets named after the conclusion of the NASL season

8 teams seems like what they wanted to start with:

West - Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg

East -  Hamilton, York, Halifax, Ottawa

my guess is that two more teams in Regina and one in Quebeac ( Sherbrooke, or QC) would go next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Sherbrooke is a great city, especially with lots of students which would help with ticket sales, but I just don't see it being a viable option, especially this early in the process of the league. I could see it be a team that eventually makes it via promotion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a basic principle in all projects with technological development and logistical challenges, which is to apply a stopping rule.

This does not mean you are not able to do more or go further or innovate in an updated way. It involves drawing a line arbitrarily and going with what you have, as a way of ensuring success. This does mean that by the time the product is out there, it is "outdated", in the sense that part of the context has taken a step beyond.  If this hadn't been done in space exploration we would never have seen a launch or a landing. By the time the technology was landing on the moon, what got it there was to a point even "archaic".

But you know this, and can use it when you open yourself up again to internal change. So it is the most responsible decision, and the best for the long process of testing, getting feedback, tweaking details, that is necessary for a complex project as this.

I am arguing in favour of drawing the line at 8, and making it work. I am not even sure we should be going to 10 in the second year, would depend on how well the other bids are developed and advanced over the course of the next half year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is a basic principle in all projects with technological development and logistical challenges, which is to apply a stopping rule.

This does not mean you are not able to do more or go further or innovate in an updated way. It involves drawing a line arbitrarily and going with what you have, as a way of ensuring success. This does mean that by the time the product is out there, it is "outdated", in the sense that part of the context has taken a step beyond.  If this hadn't been done in space exploration we would never have seen a launch or a landing. By the time the technology was landing on the moon, what got it there was to a point even "archaic".

But you know this, and can use it when you open yourself up again to internal change. So it is the most responsible decision, and the best for the long process of testing, getting feedback, tweaking details, that is necessary for a complex project as this.

I am arguing in favour of drawing the line at 8, and making it work. I am not even sure we should be going to 10 in the second year, would depend on how well the other bids are developed and advanced over the course of the next half year.

I agree we should stop around 10 or 12 at most. Then have the same amount for a second division team for pro/rel.

 

In fact 8 and 8 would almost be better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...I am not even sure we should be going to 10 in the second year,...

 

You need to push a little beyond the minimum viable number to allow for a couple of failures along the way, so the whole project doesn't hinge on whether York 9 can sort out their marketing strategy to name but one possible example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You need to push a little beyond the minimum viable number to allow for a couple of failures along the way, so the whole project doesn't hinge on whether York 9 can sort out their marketing strategy to name but one possible example.

They should start by not retiring number 9 right off the bat.

 

That is ridiculous and gimmicky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Xavier said:

In fact 8 and 8 would almost be better

That is what I had been advocating should the league get up to 16 teams.   Using Australia several leagues use a "minor premiership" to determine their league champion. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_premiership

If we apply this to the CPL and it reaches 16 teams you could use July/Aug to oct to play 15 games (single round robin). with the top team the minor premier winner. (would play in the CONCACAF Champions League)

Then from Apr to June, depending on the standings in the minor premiers the teams are split into a "top8 bottom 8" and you play those teams only 7 games (single round robin)  the top 8 winner wins the Grand Premiership and can play in the CONCACAF champions league

 

Just a thought.

FWIW I favor this because after 16 teams not many small even medium sized cities and towns in Canada are going to have the money or resources to travel coast to coast (and will likely be better off in their provincial leagues)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

That is what I had been advocating should the league get up to 16 teams.   Using Australia several leagues use a "minor premiership" to determine their league champion. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_premiership

If we apply this to the CPL and it reaches 16 teams you could use July/Aug to oct to play 15 games (single round robin). with the top team the minor premier winner. (would play in the CONCACAF Champions League)

Then from Apr to June, depending on the standings in the minor premiers the teams are split into a "top8 bottom 8" and you play those teams only 7 games (single round robin)  the top 8 winner wins the Grand Premiership and can play in the CONCACAF champions league

 

Just a thought.

FWIW I favor this because after 16 teams not many small even medium sized cities and towns in Canada are going to have the money or resources to travel coast to coast (and will likely be better off in their provincial leagues)

I'm not a fan of the split season schedules I've heard of (but have never followed a league that does it), but at the very least I'd want to flip the order of what you are talking about. The way you are suggesting it is like committing with friends to watch a bunch of Star Wars movies over a series of nights.

Night 1: Watch the first half of Episode IV (let's face it, we are skipping the prequels)
Night 2: Watch the second half of Episode IV and the first half of Episode V
Night 3: Watch the second half of Episode V and the first half of Episode VI
etc.

And of course, those nights are probably a week or a month apart, or if it's truly like your example, 5 months apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Question for Quebec people.. would it be possible for a team to play at Mcgill Stadium? 

Nothing's impossible with $$$. Doable yes.

Not ideal. The Als are the primary tenant and I doubt they'd like a CPL team messing up with their pitch. Also, the stadium's to big.

The Stadium at Universite de Montreal is very accessible and the size makes sense. The University wouldn't mind private funds upgrading the stadium either.

CEPSUM

image.jpg

plan_campus.gif

ligne5.jpg

Edited by Ansem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...