CPL new teams speculation

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don’t think there’s any truth to it. I’m posting here for those who may be more in the know to clarify.

I suspect it’s BY working with someone like Barry MacLean to obtain a KW CPL club as opposed to BY being partner in a second club. 

fair enough!

So for a recap, we've got 5 teams confirmed.

Potentially 6 to 10 teams for the inaugural season.

DC siad a 2nd division will be opened once they reach 16 teams. How long do you think it will take? Do you think we can have 16 sustainable projects?

4 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

So for a recap, we've got 5 teams confirmed.

Potentially 6 to 10 teams for the inaugural season.

DC siad a 2nd division will be opened once they reach 16 teams. How long do you think it will take? Do you think we can have 16 sustainable projects?

York, Calgary, Halifax, Winnipeg, Edmonton are official.

Hamilton and Victoria will be announced after the WC.

DC, PB and SM have all talked about 8-10 teams at launch so that leaves 1-3 teams left. Ottawa being rumoured number 8.

So the composition of the league at launch saga is probably going to drag on into the fall by the looks of things. Eight to ten announcements by mid-June always looked more than a little far-fetched, and as many of us suspected the Saskatoon and Surrey stadium plans did not materialize in time and there was no agreement to expand Clarke Stadium. They were lucky that Langford appeared on the scene at just the right moment with a $5 million stadium renovation budget to entice the would be Fraser Valley investor elsewhere.

The countdown to the next announcement is currently at 33 days 12 hours. My guess would be that Hamilton needs a city council meeting to happen first to get the lease deal confirmed or something along those lines, so they can have local municipal level politicians there saying nice things. Suspect they ideally would have wanted to be using the CWNT international as a platform for selling memberships, so they probably would have preferred to have announced yesterday when Edmonton did to round off the anticipated series of six or seven.

Strongly suspect the strong Winnipeg membership numbers will sway Ottawa into joining, if they were not already leaning in that direction, and hopefully the apparent 5000 seat minimum and respectable looking membership numbers in Halifax will get St John's on board along with another last minute surprise. That way they would have the numbers needed to easily be able to cope with losing a straggler that isn't able to keep pace with the others without it turning into a major existential crisis.

At this point, in contrast with what David Clanachan was suggesting back in March or April in the Kitchener Record, the Wilfred Laurier stadium at 6000 seats would now appear to be a potentially viable option that would not look hugely out of place next to what is planned for use in Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, York, Halifax and possibly St John's. If I was in the K/W fan group I'd be making some noise about that scenario at the moment.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don’t think there’s any truth to it. I’m posting here for those who may be more in the know to clarify.

I suspect it’s BY working with someone like Barry MacLean to obtain a KW CPL club as opposed to BY being partner in a second club. 

As far as im aware Barry is no longer involved in the project. 

FC Edmonton ticket deposit FAQ page mentions a total of 14games for inaugural season and 2friendly games. Meaning a 8team league for launch.

- Edmonton

- Calgary

- Winnipeg

- York

- Halifax

These are all confirmed.....then say Victoria, Hamilton according to Wiki and that leaves us with 1 more....

I'm banking on Ottawa although a Quebec team would be nice to avoid a geopolitical "void" on the map.

td-waterhouse-stadium1.jpg

Why didn't you leave more space at the sides to make it compatible with elite level soccer you elitist ivory tower dwelling never venturing east of Adelaide or south of Dundas so-and-sos? The late Jim Kernaghan explained it all to you in the London Free Press op/ed pages. Sorry just needed to get that out of my system. Guess nexturf tiles could maybe still do the job, but not holding my breath on London being a late surprise on this.

4 hours ago, canadianfoot said:

FC Edmonton ticket deposit FAQ page mentions a total of 14games for inaugural season and 2friendly games. Meaning a 8team league for launch.

- Edmonton

- Calgary

- Winnipeg

- York

- Halifax

These are all confirmed.....then say Victoria, Hamilton according to Wiki and that leaves us with 1 more....

I'm banking on Ottawa although a Quebec team would be nice to avoid a geopolitical "void" on the map.

True, I'm from Montreal and I'M pretty sad there won't be any team in our province for the inaugural season :(

2 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Is Québec City a definite non for 2019?  I still have my fingers crossed.

From what Scott Mitchell said last week there’s 1 more team who will be in for next year another that’s possible. 

Everyone is speculating that the for sure is Ottawa but we have no clue who the maybe team is which appears to be theoretically possible for launch.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Yeah Ottawa seems the most likely, but St John's also seems to be in the mix if the rumours are to be believed; pretty remarkable given that I don't think they were on anyone's radar until very recently..

I'd be pretty surprised if Quebec was in for 2019, my guess is 2020. 

Just now, Bison44 said:

Either way its nice to see St Johns, Quebec city, Saskatoon etc, spots that didnt have a lot of buzz just a few months ago come back into the conversation.  

Think Saskatoon would have been expected to pretty much the same extent as "Port City" if you went back to September and October last year, maybe more so given there was a named lead investor there providing attributed quotes in the local newspaper about preferred temporary and permanent locations for stadia, while the moves towards a pop-up in Surrey were in contrast confirmed from HQ in Hamilton rather than locally. The big advantage that St John's has over the other two at this point is a soccer-specific stadium with more than enough seats run by the local soccer association. All they need is an investor gung ho enough about it working in a relatively small market to be willing to sign on the dotted line and I strongly suspect they will be in by next year for much the same reasons that Victoria was eventually able to rapidly enter the mix.

Won't be Saskatoon unless there are major developments. Aiming for 2020 ?or 2021 ? is last I heard throught the FB group. It is a shame because they will have to put in work to recreate the buzz around being involved in inaugural season and have let the new pro basketball team grab at least a years head start.  

Here's hoping though.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:38 PM, mtlsab said:

Seriously? the same owner with both teams in the same league?
Wouldn't be a reserve league?

<shrug> MLS had what, four teams (out of eight at the time) owned by one guy for a few years early on?

Not great, but not the end of the world.

I will totally forgive the CPL in the earlier years for things like make shift stadiums, owners that control multiple teams, etc. I will turn a blind eye on these things if they are essential to get this league off the ground and make it thrive. Unlike MLS however, I want the training wheels to come off eventually, and want to see true competition among the teams.

4 hours ago, ted said:

<shrug> MLS had what, four teams (out of eight at the time) owned by one guy for a few years early on?

Not great, but not the end of the world.

MLS has never had fewer than 10 teams, but to your point I believe there was a time after the league contracted in 2002 when every team was owned by one of three people (Anschutz, Hunt, and Kraft). I might be wrong about that but if it’s not true it is very close to being true.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The countdown to the next announcement is currently at 33 days 12 hours. My guess would be that Hamilton needs a city council meeting to happen first to get the lease deal confirmed or something along those lines, so they can have local municipal level politicians there saying nice things. Suspect they ideally would have wanted to be using the CWNT international as a platform for selling memberships, so they probably would have preferred to have announced yesterday when Edmonton did to round off the anticipated series of six or seven.

CPL had a tent at the CWNT on Sunday.  It had a much shorter line than the Toyota tent which featured former player Jonelle Filigno signing autographs as an Olympics bronze medal winner. 

Both booths were setting up before the game and by the time they got going I was already in the press box.   I could judge the lines through my binoculars.  

6 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

CPL had a tent at the CWNT on Sunday.  It had a much shorter line than the Toyota tent which featured former player Jonelle Filigno signing autographs as an Olympics bronze medal winner. 

Both booths were setting up before the game and by the time they got going I was already in the press box.   I could judge the lines through my binoculars.  

What did they have at the CPL tent?

At THF, I looked around for anything CPL-related and saw none. We were in our seats to watch some of the warm ups which I always like to do, so probably got there too early. I thought maybe there would be a CPL video shown but there wasn't. There was the national team's video though.