CPL new teams speculation

11 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Interview with Spruce Meadows' Ian Allison. This venue sounds very promising. Beats the aging CFL stadium.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/ryan-pinder/ian-allison-talks-canadian-premier-league-impact-calgarys-team/

I appreciate that host. Already knows a decent amount about CPL, has done his research around soccer, and recognizes the size of this development

29 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Interview with Spruce Meadows' Ian Allison. This venue sounds very promising. Beats the aging CFL stadium.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/ryan-pinder/ian-allison-talks-canadian-premier-league-impact-calgarys-team/

Some highlights

-Talked again of the similarities of soccer and their work with equestrian sports in the '70s, raising Canada's standard in the world.  "We play on grass and we're used to divots" was a line I enjoyed lol

-a number of venues on the site that have been inspected by FIFA for standards, plan is for significant renovations to one of the venues to the mentioned 5-7k seats with corporate hosting and the unique view and feel

-it will be scalable if needed in the next 3-5 years.

-mentioned learning from MLS and other national leagues "Providing all the elements that are so successful of other national leagues...that have development systems and academies and those types of things as we go forward"

-everything will be announced by the end of the month, mentioning that "there has been lots of work done in the creation of their manifesto, our brand, our shield, our story"

Edited by Rheo

3 minutes ago, shamrock said:

After listening to this interview, I think Port City might be Victoria after all (Who says it's n Vancouver?). Honestly I hope so, if soccer doesn't thrive in Victoria, they'd better put the whole idea to rest IMO. 

I would be more confident about Victoria than I would be about Halifax or the whole Fraser Valley thing, given soccer has a long history of popularity there in a way it doesn't in the Maritimes and there are stronger local media outlets that are separate from Vancouver's that would treat it as the home town team rather than a footnote out in the 'burbs.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:53 AM, nolbertos said:

Slamo one of the Southsiders mentioned that Victoria is a stronger candidate  now than Langley to join.  He’s not sure if its a new group in Victoria or the same CPL Valley group, but seems that the Valley Group is having problems getting a stadium in surrey and seems they may have also ran into more red tape in Langley.  Its more and more likely Port City FC refers to Victoria

<sigh>

Noting that I would LOVE to be proved wrong, and that we are talking about next year, 2019, and the initial teams that will play the first season in the league:  this is not happening.

The Langford stadium proposal looks awesome on paper and may come to pass, but NOT FOR 2019

The Highlanders are back on track for the PDL season and there is ZERO interest/ability to "move up" for 2019.

The CanPL has recognized they need teams in the largest media markets, and while Victoria is sort of attached to Vancouver media-wise,  they need a team on the Lower Mainland to actually get TV and Radio reporting from the Vancouver media.

I would be super-impressed if any organization was able to keep things so quiet that there is not even the smallest whisper of a rumour that the CanPL will announce Victoria as a first-year team but there is no buzz, no whiff of anything like this.

24 minutes ago, shamrock said:

...if soccer doesn't thrive in Victoria, they'd better put the whole idea to rest IMO. 

This I agree with. A medium-sized city with a decent soccer community and lack of professional sports should be able to make it work. 

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I appreciate that host. Already knows a decent amount about CPL, has done his research around soccer, and recognizes the size of this development

My general opinion is that the fan960 hosts know fuck all about soccer, but that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Pinder interviews Tommy Wheldon Jr regularly on his show and is knowledgeable about PDL (Foothills FC), MLS and Euro Soccer - he is a Barca fan. He will be in a bigger market soon. He is really talented.

2 hours ago, Ed_S said:

My general opinion is that the fan960 hosts know fuck all about soccer, but that's just my opinion.

I'm mentally comparing it to Bob McCown's sputtering interview of Scott Mitchell. Didn't bother reading up whatsoever and spent half the interview trying to divert it to CFL talk, and ended with "good luck with that soccer...thing"

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm mentally comparing it to Bob McCown's sputtering interview of Scott Mitchell. Didn't bother reading up whatsoever and spent half the interview trying to divert it to CFL talk, and ended with "good luck with that soccer...thing"

Ha. Bob McClown, he's so educated in sports that are not named baseball or hockey.... I dislike him and all the old heads grunps who call in to talk. 

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Ha. Bob McClown, he's so educated in sports that are not named baseball or hockey.... I dislike him and all the old heads grunps who call in to talk. 

The irony is that he started his career as the radio announcer for an original NASL team in Miami, as Dale Barnes the original CSL commissioner used to remind people on the FAN 590 on the International Sports Report.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

10 hours ago, Xavier said:

I don’t want to say too much about the BC team, but some of you are going to look foolish in a few weeks. Some are right on point though.

Wow, that's a pretty dickish comment to make. If you have inside information, how nice for you. We can only work with the information we have.

We all make fools of ourselves when it comes to supporting this sport in this country and if we are mistaken in our predictions, well, that doesn't make us fools. It makes us some or all of passionate, hopeful, naive, loyal, biased, misinformed, and cynical.

2 hours ago, ted said:

Wow, that's a pretty dickish comment to make. If you have inside information, how nice for you. We can only work with the information we have.

We all make fools of ourselves when it comes to supporting this sport in this country and if we are mistaken in our predictions, well, that doesn't make us fools. It makes us some or all of passionate, hopeful, naive, loyal, biased, misinformed, and cynical.

I worded it wrongly.

What I meant was that some people are misplacingly overly confident in this thread. That’s why they will look foolish.

but you’re right.

24 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I worded it wrongly.

What I meant was that some people are misplacingly overly confident in this thread. That’s why they will look foolish.

but you’re right.

Thanks, and BTW, when it comes to Victoria being in the league, I'd LOVE to be wrong and see us there ASAP.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

According to some guy on reddit who claims to have heard from a supporters group in KW, I assume GRU, Bob Young is potentially going to own a second team in that area. 

Seriously? the same owner with both teams in the same league?
Wouldn't be a reserve league?

1 minute ago, mtlsab said:

Seriously? the same owner with both teams in the same league?
Wouldn't be a reserve league?

I don’t think there’s any truth to it. I’m posting here for those who may be more in the know to clarify.

I suspect it’s BY working with someone like Barry MacLean to obtain a KW CPL club as opposed to BY being partner in a second club.