CPL new teams speculation

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It would have made a difference, since the other rumoured location is Victoria and no where in the lower mainland is really considered a "port".  So you've got a weird name that is either a) not in the lower mainland, or b ) a name that doesn't really fit the region in seems to be representing. And to compound it further, the city of Surrey (the primary rumoured location for the team) has withdrawn from building a stadium at this time.  Hence the feeling of the team being rushed to a location that might not be suitable for it, in order to meet the leagues desired 8 starting teams.

It must be Port Moody! Not likely to be Port Alberni or Port Renfrew. 

5 hours ago, TFC07 said:

York university will be ideal place for them especially with subway running there now.  I am assuming stadium being built in Vaughan will be on OSC ground.  

York-Lions-Stadium.jpg

The problem with the athletics stadium at York U is that the grass soccer pitch is too narrow for the normal FIFA recommended dimensions, because sufficient space wasn't left inside the running track. To see what happens in terms of the entertainment product when you have a narrow field and limited space for midfielders to pass the ball around in that sort of format check out this old Nova Scotia Clippers game {the 86ers team they are playing against was stacked with CMNT players}:

The location for the stadium build that would be required to remedy that isn't the OSC apparently, but is said to be close to Keele at Kirby.

9 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Btw I'm not extrapolating that BC was forced to join. That's someone else. I'm just stating that they weirdly didn't reveal the location of the BC club and seemingly used a placeholder to announce.

Not sure what the fuss is all about when we are suggesting that the CSA are doing what needs to be done to make this actually happen. If a very rich investor wants to start a pro soccer franchise in a domestic league that has been on the CSA's agenda for almost a decade, the CSA are unlikely to turn them away and are likely to be flexible if that's what it takes to get it over the line. Langford wanting to build an 8000 seat stadium for a CanPL team and international level rugby was clearly a positive rather than a negative development for them if it provided a viable plan B to use as leverage in negotiations with Fraser Valley municipalities, and as recently as March it was repeated by Paul Beirne that CanPL can start play with as few as six teams. They don't need all eight (assuming FCE and the Fury commit) to be ready to actually play straight away next summer to be able to launch in 2019.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The problem with the athletics stadium at York U is that the grass soccer pitch is too narrow for the normal FIFA recommended dimensions, because sufficient space wasn't left inside the running track. To see what happens in terms of the entertainment product when you have a narrow field and limited space for midfielders to pass the ball around in that sort of format check out this old Nova Scotia Clippers game {the 86ers team they are playing against was stacked with CMNT players}:

Haha I've played on that field and its brutal for possession. The field is very unforgiving for any miss-timed passes or running onto long balls as your more likely to produce a throw-in or goal-kick. Running tracks around soccer fields are horrendous for the fan experience as well.

Pretty cool to see a professional match played in Dartmouth though. For reference, this was played at Beazley Field in Dartmouth, which is a probably a 15-20 min drive from downtown Halifax and in the middle of suburbia. Wanderers Grounds is located in the heart of downtown within 2 minutes walk from dozens of bars.

Edited by HfxCeltic

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If a very rich investor wants to start a pro soccer franchise in a domestic league that has been on the CSA's agenda for almost a decade, the CSA are unlikely to turn them away and are likely to be flexible if that's what it takes to get it over the line. 

Okay, but there are 20 communities interested, I'm sure many of those have very rich investors. Why aren't we launching with 16 teams if they don't really need to have everything in place? The reason it got pushed back from 2018 to 2019 is that it took longer than we all had hoped to get everything in place. There absolutely might be some loose ends to tie up, but not knowing what city you're going to for sure play in? That's a pretty important factor in the process...that's step one in setting up a club, not step 97.

I mean that's like saying if it was Fort City FC, they chose the name so that they could play out of one of Fort Langley, Fort St. John, Fort Saskatchewan, Fort MacMurray, Fort Steele Region (Kootney's) or Fort Carlton Region (middle of Saskatchewan). It's whoever they can get a stadium deal with, but they wanted to keep their options open and CSA needed them to launch.

It's already been stated they would launch with 6. I really don't think this team as compared to others is so far behind that they don't even have the city locked in yet. Maybe it is Victoria, but it's not up in the air as of right now, that's ridiculous.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough, once they start doing the full announcements.

12 minutes ago, LAK said:

Okay, but there are 20 communities interested, I'm sure many of those have very rich investors. Why aren't we launching with 16 teams if they don't really need to have everything in place? The reason it got pushed back from 2018 to 2019 is that it took longer than we all had hoped to get everything in place. There absolutely might be some loose ends to tie up, but not knowing what city you're going to for sure play in? That's a pretty important factor in the process...that's step one in setting up a club, not step 97.

I mean that's like saying if it was Fort City FC, they chose the name so that they could play out of one of Fort Langley, Fort St. John, Fort Saskatchewan, Fort MacMurray, Fort Steele Region (Kootney's) or Fort Carlton Region (middle of Saskatchewan). It's whoever they can get a stadium deal with, but they wanted to keep their options open and CSA needed them to launch.

It's already been stated they would launch with 6. I really don't think this team as compared to others is so far behind that they don't even have the city locked in yet. Maybe it is Victoria, but it's not up in the air as of right now, that's ridiculous.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough, once they start doing the full announcements.

Agree with your point. 

I thought they've said they would launch with 8 - 10, or did they revise last week's announcement? 

12 minutes ago, LAK said:

Okay, but there are 20 communities interested, I'm sure many of those have very rich investors. Why aren't we launching with 16 teams if they don't really need to have everything in place?

I suspect the majority of those not included in the launch started the process fairly recently. Going by the trends in the news, they were talking about 10-12 groups showing interest back at the last CSA AGM, 12-15 when Clanachan came on board, now 20+.

1 minute ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I thought they've said they would launch with 8 - 10, or did they revise last week's announcement? 

There isn't necessarily a conflict here. Paul Beirne's formula last summer was 6 active with 2 in the pipeline to be able to start. That still means 8 in total on board and approved as members of the league.

They've said they would need a minimum of six, everything lately has been 8-10 at launch including on Friday, https://the11.ca/four-more-make-it-official-canada-soccer-sanctions-more-canpl-clubs/

• Clanachan said that the league was still on target to have 8-10 teams in its inaugural season. When asked about how many ownership groups were at Friday’s meeting in Edmonton, he smiled and said “more than eight.”

Image result for x files the truth is out there

5 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Agree with your point. 

@LAK is making the point that there would be no reason to approve a club that is still up in the air since the league was already comfortable launching with 6 need be

17 minutes ago, LAK said:

Okay, but there are 20 communities interested, I'm sure many of those have very rich investors...

K/W had a reasonably rich investor known to be interested (Barry Maclean) but has fallen by the wayside for now at least due to the lack of a viable stadium option. What the Langford stadium proposal in the Victoria area did for BC was provide a viable stadium option even if things don't work out in Surrey or Langley as has been rumoured by people in the Southsiders who are said to have been in contact with the would be investor group. If you know you have at least one viable option you can proceed a lot further down the road to launch than if there are none.

The "independent variable" in all of this is stadium readiness for 2019. Winnipeg has a spot, Hamilton has a spot, Halifax will have a spot, Ottawa would have a spot....but after that it becomes a bit more murky. Edmonton at the very least will have Clarke to fall back on to even if council doesn't decide to allow some of the recommendations. But Calgary, York and BC?

I get the feeling that the "Port City FC" group is eyeing either Surrey, Langley, or Victoria. I'm betting they will be the last club to have an official announcement to give them as much time as possible to tie down a stadium location.

9 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

The "independent variable" in all of this is stadium readiness for 2019. Winnipeg has a spot, Hamilton has a spot, Halifax will have a spot, Ottawa would have a spot....but after that it becomes a bit more murky. Edmonton at the very least will have Clarke to fall back on to even if council doesn't decide to allow some of the recommendations. But Calgary, York and BC?

Given that they are all announcing over the next few weeks, I think that information will be readily available soon enough.

4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Calgary being able to use Spruce Meadows after something as straightforward as "renovations" is yuge to put it in Donald Trump terms. If Ottawa and Edmonton are already basically on board (this is clear as mud at the moment to those not actually in the meetings) and the Hamilton lease thing isn't insurmountable, they should be able to launch without having to rely on Port City and York 9, who I suspect would benefit from having an extra 12 months to get ready.

Scenario 1-They're going to launch a league and have teams without stadiums for the year that they're aggressively telling the world that they're starting.  They're so naive and/or stupid that they're going forward without stadiums because you don't know the specifics (of which York and Calgary have had recent leaks and articles with stadium information) and hoping that everything just falls into place so that maybe, just maybe they might be able to start when they're telling everyone that they will. 

Scenario 2-Or maybe most everything is accounted for and we'll get details when they do the team launches one a week for the next couple of months.

8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Given that they are all announcing over the next few weeks, I think that information will be readily available soon enough.

Right but I guess my point was anything more elaborate than a pop-up stadium at this point is at risk of not being ready in time. For instance Calgary's plan seems like it would be more than just a pop-up.

Edited by mpg_29

44 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

@LAK is making the point that there would be no reason to approve a club that is still up in the air since the league was already comfortable launching with 6 need be

Thank you. I thought I was reasonably clear on that. It makes sense in my head anyway :)

23 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I get the feeling that the "Port City FC" group is eyeing either Surrey, Langley, or Victoria. I'm betting they will be the last club to have an official announcement to give them as much time as possible to tie down a stadium location.

I think it could either be Victoria or the lower mainland but...I don't think they're at the eyeing up stage. I think it's all locked in (as in city ) and a plan was already in place in order to get CSA approval this past weekend. We just don't know their plan yet. I'm of the camp that you don't give CSA approval without knowing what city the team is going to play in.

21 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right but I guess my point was anything more elaborate than a pop-up stadium at this point is at risk of not being ready in time. For instance Calgary's plan seems like it would be more than just a pop-up.

I agree, but I suspect pop-up is/was the plan for BC, YorkU is the plan for York, and Calgary is probably using a popup or modifying existing structures. They have a whole summer and popup construction times seem to span 6 weeks to 3 months, I don't see problems arising

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I agree, but I suspect pop-up is/was the plan for BC, YorkU is the plan for York, and Calgary is probably using a popup or modifying existing structures. They have a whole summer and popup construction times seem to span 6 weeks to 3 months, I don't see problems arising

I guess the Calgary team could try and work out a deal to play in McMahon stadium temporarily if needed.

http://calgarysun.com/news/local-news/soccer-stadium-coming-to-spruce-meadows-next-year/wcm/dbb58a10-c02a-4d55-ba69-8cc7da715e80?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525639446

“The club will (be) commencing in 2019, be playing out of Spruce Meadows and will be owned by Spruce Meadows Sports and Entertainment,” Allison said. “We have existing facilities that will be modified, I would say. It would be renovations to bring a very unique and distinctive ambiance to the game.”