CPL new teams speculation

Slamo one of the Southsiders mentioned that Victoria is a stronger candidate  now than Langley to join.  He’s not sure if its a new group in Victoria or the same CPL Valley group, but seems that the Valley Group is having problems getting a stadium in surrey and seems they may have also ran into more red tape in Langley.  Its more and more likely Port City FC refers to Victoria

The 8000 seat stadium plan looked like an open goal for CanPL when it was revealed a few weeks back. Not sure if that was going to be built as quickly as next year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/817m9f/for_langford_its_game_on_for_stadium_with_8000/?st=jgtswsfu&sh=e011ca1a

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229534&page=76

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The 8000 seat stadium plan looked like an open goal for CanPL when it was revealed a few weeks back. Not sure if that was going to be built as quickly as next year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/817m9f/for_langford_its_game_on_for_stadium_with_8000/?st=jgtswsfu&sh=e011ca1a

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229534&page=76

A+ soccer pun. It all seems so obvious to me that this was the move. The 8000 seats should have been a dead giveaway, but I was so set on it being in Surrey or Fraser Valley that I just kind of pushed this off as "maybe the Highlanders will do something in the future". Idealy the Surrey team would still happen and the highlanders would be in the possible 9-10 group.

Edited by BradMack

If you look at the tweet that the CSA put out announcing the four groups that have been accepted for professional club membership, it says Halifax, York Region, Calgary and Port City, BC. Well Port City is obviously not a place. So maybe I am reading into things too much, but perhaps the fact they were not specific lends credence to the theory that they don't exactly know where Port City is going to be yet. Maybe playing municipalities off against each other? Maybe waiting to see which stadium situation comes together first?

5 hours ago, masster said:

If you look at the tweet that the CSA put out announcing the four groups that have been accepted for professional club membership, it says Halifax, York Region, Calgary and Port City, BC. Well Port City is obviously not a place. So maybe I am reading into things too much, but perhaps the fact they were not specific lends credence to the theory that they don't exactly know where Port City is going to be yet. Maybe playing municipalities off against each other? Maybe waiting to see which stadium situation comes together first?

I've heard the theory from others but I don't necessarily believe it.

I would hope that the CSA would demand at least a city name from a group before licensing them as a pro team.  Sure, it's possible that they haven't done that level of due diligence... but that would really be shocking.

I find it more likely that the CPL just wants to play their cards close to their chest until the formal announcement, and the CSA is helping them do it.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree.  No way the CSA green lights a team in a geographical region without knowing where it would be based, who would be behind it, etc.

Really?...because that's exactly the vibe I'm getting from that tweet. At least in terms of them not knowing where it would be based yet. They used actual locations for the others.

Edited by mpg_29

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree.  No way the CSA green lights a team in a geographical region without knowing where it would be based, ...

Even when they have been waiting for almost a decade for this league to emerge and not green lighting "Port City FC" would potentially sink the possibility of a 2019 launch in the run up to the vote on the 2026 WC hosting bid?

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Even when they have been waiting for almost a decade for this league to emerge and not green lighting "Port City FC" would potentially sink the possibility of a 2019 launch in the run up to the vote on the 2026 WC hosting bid?

Yes, even then.

8 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Really?...because that's exactly the vibe I'm getting from that tweet. At least in terms of them not knowing where it would be based yet. They used actual locations for the others.

So on the basis of a small bit of vagueness, you think they are hopefully sanctioning a "Port City" BC team, without knowing where it would be located, and in turn, what stadium they would be using - and possibly even who would be backing it?  I just don't see it.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

So on the basis of a small bit of vagueness, you think they are hopefully sanctioning a "Port City" BC team, without knowing where it would be located, and in turn, what stadium they would be using - and possibly even who would be backing it?  I just don't see it.  

Well the league has a track record of being vague so maybe. But just.. why? Why announce three cities and then be deliberately vague on the B.C. one?

Edited by mpg_29

22 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Well the league has a track record of being vague so maybe. But just.. why? Why announce three cities and then be deliberately vague on the B.C. one?

Well for a start, the CSA released the locations and used the club names: York region, Port City, Calgary and Halifax. So the league hasn't really announced cities. They are unveiling each one week at a time starting with York9. If we didn't already know so much about York9 would people be worried that York region didn't say Vaughan and there's no plan about where they might play? 

I find it a little confusing that there was a lot of consternation about roadblocks and lack of progress when there was no news. Now that it was clear that they have been, patient and deliberate every step of the way but when there is incomplete news then that's a sign they're rushing? People are extrapolating that they're rushing and trying to force Port City and don't know where they're playing because of a CSA press release?

Cynicism is a good thing, but sometimes in this thread the things that people are cynical about confuse me.

cheers, matthew

Edited by matthew
words are hard

8 minutes ago, matthew said:

Well for a start, the CSA released the locations and used the club names: York region, Port City, Calgary and Halifax. So the league hasn't really announced cities. They are unveiling each one week at a time starting with York9. If we didn't already know so much about York9 would people be worried that York region didn't say Vaughan and there's no plan about where they might play? 

I find it a little confusing that there was a lot of consternation about roadblocks and lack of progress when there was no news. Now that it was clear that they have been, patient and deliberate every step of the way but when there is incomplete news then that's a sign they're rushing? People are extrapolating that they're rushing and trying to force Port City and don't know where they're playing because of a CSA press release?

Cynicism is a good thing, but sometimes in this thread the things that people are cynical about confuse me.

cheers, matthew

They didn't use the club names....that was my point. "Halifax, NS. York Region, ON. Calgary, AB." It's quite obvious that they were using the location not the club name.

Btw I'm not extrapolating that BC was forced to join. That's someone else. I'm just stating that they weirdly didn't reveal the location of the BC club and seemingly used a placeholder to announce.

I wasn't meaning to direct all of my comments directly at you mpg_29. Sorry it came across that way. I know you weren't the one who was extrapolating the rush for Port City.

If they said "lower mainland BC" instead of Port City would that have made any difference? Because to me "lower mainland" is as vague as "York region." I wouldn't characterize it as placeholder name. I would bet money it will be the club's name. Which is why they used it. And it functions as a way to encapsulate the lower mainland for a team that won't be in Vancouver proper, but (maybe?) isn't in the Fraser Valley either. And is miles better than calling the team Lower Mainland FC (or even BCFC which is even more vague). It would have been more consistent to have just said "York, ON" for York9 instead of "York Region, ON", except that York is part of Toronto proper and there is no York in the York region. Which seems dumb to me, but you COTU folks do your thing.

cheers, matthew

Just to be clear, I'm not a cynic on the BC team and I dont feel they are being rushed. However the whole tweet was rather weird. Why would the CSA release the team name? Shouldn't the CPL group do that during their press conference?

3 hours ago, matthew said:

If they said "lower mainland BC" instead of Port City would that have made any difference? Because to me "lower mainland" is as vague as "York region." I wouldn't characterize it as placeholder name. I would bet money it will be the club's name. Which is why they used it. And it functions as a way to encapsulate the lower mainland for a team that won't be in Vancouver proper, but (maybe?) isn't in the Fraser Valley either. And is miles better than calling the team Lower Mainland FC (or even BCFC which is even more vague).

It would have made a difference, since the other rumoured location is Victoria and no where in the lower mainland is really considered a "port".  So you've got a weird name that is either a) not in the lower mainland, or b ) a name that doesn't really fit the region in seems to be representing. And to compound it further, the city of Surrey (the primary rumoured location for the team) has withdrawn from building a stadium at this time.  Hence the feeling of the team being rushed to a location that might not be suitable for it, in order to meet the leagues desired 8 starting teams.

I wonder if York9 going to be playing at OSC where TFC 2 used to play? I am not sure how they're going to manage to get people coming to their games especially after they failed to support TFC2.   

To be honest, Brampton and Mississauga should have been first GTA teams (bigger cities with strong soccer grassroot).   Plus, they could have provided a better rivalry to Hamilton compare to York.  

Just now, TFC07 said:

I wonder if York9 going to be playing at OSC where TFC 2 used to play? I am not sure how they're going to manage to get people coming to their games especially after they failed to support TFC2.   

To be honest, Brampton and Mississauga should have been first GTA teams (bigger cities with strong soccer grassroot).   Plus, they could have provided a better rivalry to Hamilton compare to York.  

Rumour is YorkU, followed by building their own soccer specific stadium 

Not sure TFC 2 is a worthwhile measuring stick. It had no marketing behind it, it was clearly labelled as a minor league affiliate, and never managed to put anything on the field that was deemed attractive. Plus TFC 2 seems to be drawing even poorer at BMO then they did in Vaughan so I don't think TFC 2's failure in Vaughan is an indication of the market's potential 

25 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Rumour is YorkU, followed by building their own soccer specific stadium 

Not sure TFC 2 is a worthwhile measuring stick. It had no marketing behind it, it was clearly labelled as a minor league affiliate, and never managed to put anything on the field that was deemed attractive. Plus TFC 2 seems to be drawing even poorer at BMO then they did in Vaughan so I don't think TFC 2's failure in Vaughan is an indication of the market's potential 

I found this on twiiter: 

As our friends @TheCanPLHub reported earlier in the week.   Our understanding is that group includes GreenPark Homes & @JimmyBrennan11 Possibly will play out out York University for 2 years while a 15-20K stadium is built in the City of Vaughan area for 2020-21 season @CPLsoccer

York university will be ideal place for them especially with subway running there now.  I am assuming stadium being built in Vaughan will be on OSC ground.