CPL new teams speculation

10 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Honestly, after their recent string of defeats, I think the Fury should spend a season in the Estonian 4th division. 1st division of anything is an over-achievement for a team that has conceded 14 goals while only scoring 2. 

To be fair, they have a number of potential starters missing. But I agree with the overall sentiment; just 1 draw off a flukey last gasp equalizer is pretty bad. 

I remember the drop off in quality after Marc dos Santos left and they sold all those players following the run to the NASL final a few years back..

One of the Southsiders who’s been in talks with the CPL Fraser Valley group is saying Surrey is out of the question now and the group is looking at Langley for a possible stadium location.  Seems City of Surrey didn’t accomodate to some demands from the group for a temporary stadium in Surrey Central or Cloverdale.  I think that group should focus on Victoria TBH or Abbotsford.  Langley isn’t a hotbed for sports teams with transportation being an issue, also Abbotsford is a growing suburb that the municipality might be more accomodating.  Worst case, the Island too

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

1 hour ago, Kurt-MTL said:

OSEG overcame similar objections in Ottawa; imagine SEA should be able to do the same.

OSEG overcame a much larger, litigious and vocal group. The "Friends of Halifax Common" only have a few hundred members.

48 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

One of the Southsiders who’s been in talks with the CPL Fraser Valley group is saying Surrey is out of the question now and the group is looking at Langley for a possible stadium location.  Seems City of Surrey didn’t accomodate to some demands from the group for a temporary stadium in Surrey Central or Cloverdale.  I think that group should focus on Victoria TBH or Abbotsford.  Langley isn’t a hotbed for sports teams with transportation being an issue, also Abbotsford is a growing suburb that the municipality might be more accomodating.  Worst case, the Island too

I get what you're saying about transportation, but in the valley everyone drives everywhere it seems. The further you get away from Vancouver, the more people rely on cars. Langley is also home to the Vancouver Stealth of the NLL and the Vancouver Giants of the WHL. The Langley Events Centre is always busy with something, it's too bad they couldn't build something right there. People are used to taking in events there.

3 hours ago, nolbertos said:

I think Surrey would draw better than Langley, and Langley would draw better than Abbotsford which is further out from Metro Vancouver. Langley's current stadium is about 10-15 minutes from the Cloverdale/Surrey site that was being looked at so not too much further away unlike Abbotsford ( a further 30 minutes out of Metro Vancouver from Langley).

Langley has McCloud Stadium which is similar to Edmontons Clark Stadium before Fath added the extra blue grandstand (bonus is McCloud has a roof).They would need to add similar seating if they used it as a temporary solution as the stadium capacity is 2200 currently :

20160810_104934.jpgIMG_0340-e1370586713620.jpg

Edited by CDNFootballer

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

I think Surrey would draw better than Langley, and Langley would draw better than Abbotsford which is further out from Metro Vancouver. Langley's current stadium is about 10-15 minutes from the Cloverdale/Surrey site that was being looked at so not too much further away unlike Abbotsford ( a further 30 minutes out of Metro Vancouver from Langley).

Langley has McCloud Stadium which is similar to Edmontons Clark Stadium before Fath added the extra blue grandstand (bonus is McCloud has a roof).They would need to add similar seating if they used it as a temporary solution as the stadium capacity is 2200 currently :

20160810_104934.jpgIMG_0340-e1370586713620.jpg

While it looks nice, I am slightly worried that this would mean at least two stadiums with tracks. The other being York Lions Stadium. I wonder if for York Lions Stadium, they could build temp stands on the trackside without a stand. Ideally, I'd like them to work wit Alumni Field instead, though it's probably unlikely.

800px-York_Stadium.jpg

Thanks, wasn't sure if Cloverdale would count as Surrey in colloquial terms. Assuming this info is accurate, it may have been quite a recent development if they were registering "Port City FC" (Soefeia assured us it was for the lower mainland BC team) as a name as recently as early last month. Don't think that works for a Langley team.

It sounds like the new possible location is around 216 & Hwy 1 where a new overpass and interchange is currently being built. If anyone is interested in checking out that location.  Definitely not an urban setting but moves further in to the Valley which probably brings Abbotsford and some other communities in to areas to draw from

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It sounds like the new possible location is around 216 & Hwy 1 where a new overpass and interchange is currently being built. If anyone is interested in checking out that location.  Definitely not an urban setting but moves further in to the Valley which probably brings Abbotsford and some other communities in to areas to draw from

That's close to Trinity Western University and not that far from the Langley Events Centre as well. Do you know the timeline for a plan like that?

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Definitely not bad for road access, but like the York 9 location, people arriving by transit probably wouldn't be a much of a factor:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.153717,-122.6262386,1351m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I think most Southsiders agreed that public transit to Langley is very poor and if the team is relying on patrons from transit, than don’t expect much.  Most people Langley and out east, drive to their destination.  This team will most likely rely on people from Abbotsford and the fringe borders of Surrey.  There’s also some people from Maple Ridge that could cross the Golden Ears Bridge and be there too.  Just don’t expect any metro van and surrey people to come out there, en masse anyway.  I believe from King George to the Langley Events Centre by transit would take about 1 hour one way, so your looking at 2 hour round trip from transit to skytrain

Edited by nolbertos

There are some people on the Southsiders forum who have had contact with the group. This new project will be a modular stadium similar to what was built at the PNE. It sounds like the team might be pushed back because the interchange would have to be finished first and I think someone said they only want to start at the same time as Victoria. I might be wrong but I think that was how the story went 

1 hour ago, Impactsupporter said:

Why now just locate the BCFC or "Port City" team in Burnaby at Swangard Stadium and take over the TSS Rovers??

Just a thought.

Have mentioned that scenario on here a few times in recent months. Judging by what has been happening in K/W and Edmonton in recent times, they seem to be going with 7000 seats with expandability as a minimum requirement and that would probably be difficult to do at Swangard.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

they seem to be going with 7000 seats with expandability as a minimum requirement and that would probably be difficult to do at Swangard.

Would it? Is the track used during the summer? I seem to recall going to a WC qualifier at Swangard with bleachers on the tracks. 

The 7K seating is not written in stone apparently but is a guideline. Not sure if its still there but there was seating on the track on the opposite side of the grandstand to push the seating closer to 6K I think in the Cap's USL days. Problem is the stadium is about 15-20 minutes from the Cap's BC Place so too close to their immediate market. The CPL  club is better off using Langleys McCloud with added seating temporarily until the popup and overpass is done which may be 2 years out. Coquitlams Town Centre stadium could also be a temporary solution with added seats.

1024px-Swangard_stadium_Burnaby.jpg

Edited by CDNFootballer

7 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Yes, the Stetson Bowl is out of the question.  Anywhere in Surrey is out of the question.

With Surrey wanting a stadium for years now around 10K the CPL group should really work something out with the city, its not a matter of "if" the city will get a stadium but "when" IMHO and the city has been receptive in remarks previously. Although we're only going on rumours anyway that Surrey is out hopefully they get a deal done as Surrey with its big population and distance from the Cap's immediate market is the best bet for a successful CPL club in Metro Vancouver.

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

With Surrey wanting a stadium for years now around 10K the CPL group should really work something out with the city, its not a matter of "if" the city will get a stadium but "when" IMHO and the city has been receptive in remarks previously. Although we're only going on rumours anyway that Surrey is out hopefully they get a deal done as Surrey with its big population and distance from the Cap's immediate market is the best bet for a successful CPL club in Metro Vancouver.

It sounds like the land the CPL group wanted is being turned in to high rise apartments and it's basically done.  The other location rumoured is in Cloverdale, which would be just as bad as the Langley location.  I would say Surrey isn't getting the team.

A team in Victoria before a team in the Fraser Valley?

Lots of cyber chat on Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, BC, Hamilton, Halifax, Ottawa, York (GTA) being 1st 8 #CPL teams Can't disagree but not sure who (Victoria? Fraser Valley?) 1st in BC + both Alberta teams have some questions. Saskatoon on near-horizon 2. Money, stadia, will talk

1 reply2 retweets7 likes

Retweet