CPL new teams speculation

Yes, how dare some uppity soccer fan come on here and suggest that soccer should try to emulate what has worked for hockey in Canada, especially when that was what was recommended to the CSA as recently as five years ago as the conclusions from a marketing study they commissioned. He must have a screw loose somewhere.

16 hours ago, LAK said:

...MLS has been clear that they won't be expanding more into Canada. CPL can be the WHA. 

Out of curiosity are you suggesting that CanPL is a way to get more Canadian teams into MLS in a Winnipeg Jets and Hartford Whalers sort of way? I seriously doubt that's what the Ticats have in mind and I hope they don't plan on the other possible interpretation of that, which is losing lots of money and going out of existance after only a few seasons.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Out of curiosity are you suggesting that CanPL is a way to get more Canadian teams into MLS in a Winnipeg Jets and Hartford Whalers sort of way? I seriously doubt that's what the Ticats have in mind and I hope they don't plan on the other possible interpretation of that, which is losing lots of money and going out of existance after only a few seasons.

That would be a completely incorrect assumption on your part, that is not at all what I meant. This is a good illustration however of what a lot of folks have issues with in your arguments. Based on what someone says, you tend to make assumptions and then base pages and pages of debate on those "facts" which are not necessarily facts but rather your interpretations of what someone has said.

I don't doubt that sometimes you're right, but this is what people argue with you about. You then seem to site your "evidence", which again is based on your assumption. I think we all do that to a certain extent, but your interpretation definitely fits your overall narrative (again we all do that).

I didn't mean to get too off track, but I did think it was important to point out, since this was a perfect example of what seems to happen with a lot of the disputes you have on this forum. I'm not trying to be a dick either, I just wanted you to see why people have been saying what they've been saying. If you're offended, I apologize sincerely.

Edited by LAK

On 3/22/2018 at 8:44 AM, Rheo said:

I find it funny that someone who advocates for the Easton report over the CPL model so much ignores the fact that Easton must believe in the CPL model enough to work for them. (don't mind me, I still check some posts even with ignore to see if anything has changed, which of course it hasn't lol)

You don't need to believe in something in order to accept their money. ;) 

On March 24, 2018 at 7:48 AM, toontownman said:

Not sure it's "In Vogue" again but I did roll my eyes seeing that transfer. Galaxy behind the curve now. He will sell lots of shirts and have a decent year or so like kaka and drogba though. 

Or he could be like Villa and Piatti and star for 4 years at a fraction of the salary. $1.5m a year for Zlatan is a steal. Doesn't even use half of their 2018 TAM.

On 24/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Big name hasbeens seem to be in vogue again as a way to divert attention from a high profile rival that is stealing your thunder:

skysports-zlatan-ibrahimovic_4263024.jpg

Zlatan is still a lethal striker and in good physical condition. Plus he was always off the charts in some areas of his play, his competitive edge, his amazing flexibility and strength, and he is tactically smart. 

If Zlatan had played last weekend vs. Caps, assuming we had done the same as we did, Galaxy would have won. 

Since MLS is much less dependent now on such players, and has more and more young lights, like Almiron, there is no argument to be made here about the league.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:13 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Big name hasbeens seem to be in vogue again as a way to divert attention from a high profile rival that is stealing your thunder:

skysports-zlatan-ibrahimovic_4263024.jpg

Hardly a hasbeen... 28 goals in all comps last year for MAN UNITED doesn't exactly scream washed up. Even is injury was repaired with a pretty new technique that doesn't harm the hamstrings and sets everything back into its original place. It shouldn't effect him like an injury like his would have in the past. Also read he's taken something like a 90% pay cut to be in LA, but I'm not actually sure about the numbers.

19 hours ago, Prune_55 said:

Or he could be like Villa and Piatti and star for 4 years at a fraction of the salary. $1.5m a year for Zlatan is a steal. Doesn't even use half of their 2018 TAM.

That is a steal at that price. Just read he took a 95% pay cut to come to the MLS too, fair play.  At 37 in October he won't have more than a season or two, unless they gave him the Gigg's serum at Manure. He will likely be great to watch, so enjoy while he is here, provided he doesn't play the Canadian teams or at least does poorly in those games :)

• 1 month later...

I think it is likely the breakdown goes like this.

LOCKS: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Halifax, York 

LIKELY: Calgary, Surrey, Saskatoon

POSSIBLE: Edmonton, Ottawa

FUTURE: Sauga, Montreal, Moncton, K-W, St John's

The LOCKS are teams we've heard ownership actively talk about and have stadiums in place. LIKELY teams are the ones we've heard pretty concrete stuff about but are unsure if they make it for 2019 because of stadium construction. POSSIBLE teams are existing teams that hinge on certain things happening (FCE getting Clarke and Ott deciding to switch leagues). FUTURE teams are places where some of the parts a team needs already exists, and we've heard some buzz from the cities, but nothing concrete right now and certainly not in for 2019. 

Edited by BradMack

9 hours ago, BradMack said:

I think it is likely the breakdown goes like this.

LOCKS: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Halifax, York 

LIKELY: Calgary, Surrey, Saskatoon

POSSIBLE: Edmonton, Ottawa

I'd bump the bolded two down a notch and add K/W to the last category.

Halifax: Not clear yet how easy the negotiations on a three year lease would be.

Saskatoon: No registered trademarks unlike Surrey, Calgary, York and Halifax, and nothing publicly visible on a stadium for quite a while. Think the trademark registrations hinted strongly who is on deck to be announced reasonably soon and you have 8 at that point with Hamilton and Winnipeg when you thrown in Edmonton and Ottawa who already have trademarks in place. Saskatoon and K/W would provide an explanation of how you get to 10 when David Clanachan is doing the talking without invoking any mystery groups/cities that have yet to be mentioned a lot on here.

The 20 cities angle would probably include Regina and possibly multiple municipalities in the Fraser Valley, York Region and K/W areas, before you get to Mississauga, Moncton, St John's, Montreal, Sherbrooke and Quebec City that are known to have had some level of contact with CanPL, and maybe there was even something solid behind Roy Nasrala's visit to the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 hours ago, Xavier said:

Victoria is missing as well

Victoria should surely be in the "future" list. Will make for a great rivalry with Surrey City/BCFC/Port City.

Ottawa supporters should really mount an effort to help push the Fury into the CPL, would be a shame if they stick it out in the US's D2 instead of moving to Canada's new D1 league.

Edited by CDNFootballer

On 4/28/2018 at 10:52 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Victoria should surely be in the "future" list. Will make for a great rivalry with Surrey City/BCFC/Port City.

Ottawa supporters should really mount an effort to help push the Fury into the CPL, would be a shame if they stick it out in the US's D2 instead of moving to Canada's new D1 league.

Honestly, after their recent string of defeats, I think the Fury should spend a season in the Estonian 4th division. 1st division of anything is an over-achievement for a team that has conceded 14 goals while only scoring 2.