Jump to content
lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

Recommended Posts

Somebody asked the owner when he had his venting press conference the other day if it was an option.  I don't think it's anything to get to worried about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me is intrigued by the idea - as long as we give them the MLS treatment.  CSA sanctioned league (exclusively), Canadians treated as domestics on all teams, rules that disadvantage their US players seeking to move to a team across the border, etc.  Then again, I have been reading too many CBC articles about Trump's verbal diarrhea of trade policy announcements, so that is just me being petty.

As Rheo said, I can't see it happening.  I don't imagine there is a lot of upside for a US team seen as playing in a Canadian league.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Part of me is intrigued by the idea...

Me too. And Welsh teams play in the EPL.

I will say that I don't have any interest in playing "tit for tat" with MLS though. They are simply a non-factor for me.

Other than that I have no idea where I am going with this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cosmos seem unlikely, but it got me thinking about Rochester if they could somehow get that TO-Rochester ferry back? Established stadium, brand, history of Canadian involvement with Pat Ercoli and a rivalry with Toronto. But I guess they've wrapped up operations now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Me too. And Welsh teams play in the EPL.

I will say that I don't have any interest in playing "tit for tat" with MLS though. They are simply a non-factor for me.

Other than that I have no idea where I am going with this!

I think the appropriate analogy there is the Canadian teams play in the MLS..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

Cosmos seem unlikely, but it got me thinking about Rochester if they could somehow get that TO-Rochester ferry back? Established stadium, brand, history of Canadian involvement with Pat Ercoli and a rivalry with Toronto. But I guess they've wrapped up operations now

I am half expecting TFC to announce that Rochester will replace TFC2 next year, and the Rhinos will be their new USL affiliate with loans etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point, it was odd that they were framing those TFC2 games there as "pro soccer comes back to Rochester" etc clickbait. Could be testing the market for something more permanent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I think the appropriate analogy there is the Canadian teams play in the MLS..

The reason I chose EPL and Wales for my analogy is because EPL is defined to be the championship of ENGLAND and CPL will be the championship of CANADA but MLS is just a random single entity sports corporation that is not the championship of anything but itself.

Any football club in England can work its way up the pyramid and eventually become champions of England. It remains to be seen whether that will hold true for CPL but it is certainly not the case for MLS.

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am half expecting TFC to announce that Rochester will replace TFC2 next year, and the Rhinos will be their new USL affiliate with loans etc.

The Rhinos are likely done, the USL poorly vetted the current owners when they quickly brought them in to replace the former owner who walked away from the team after they won the USL championship in 2015. Current owners have subleased the soccer stadium to the Rochester Lancers (and Lady Lancers womens club) of NPSL for this year as they still manage the stadium at the moment.

 

Maybe a new group comes in though and affiliates with TFC for 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, what is the point of letting in American teams to a league that is designed to be ‘Canadian’? Does this not remove the entire driving economic incentive for investors (a national league not in competition with NASL and USL).

I’d prefer we just use American leagues and infrastructure if we’re going to have US-based team in the CanPL, since the entire idea of having “our own infrastructure, by us, for us” would be entirely defeated by having 15 – 20% of the entire league be based in another country at launch.

Either this league will be Canadian, or it won’t. If it’s not, let's rename it USL-North and stop pretending that it's going to be about Canada, our ability to have a national league, and develop our own infrastructure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Honestly, what is the point of letting in American teams to a league that is designed to be ‘Canadian’? Does this not remove the entire driving economic incentive for investors (a national league not in competition with NASL and USL).

I’d prefer we just use American leagues and infrastructure if we’re going to have US-based team in the CanPL, since the entire idea of having “our own infrastructure, by us, for us” would be entirely defeated by having 15 – 20% of the entire league be based in another country at launch.

Either this league will be Canadian, or it won’t. If it’s not, let's rename it USL-North and stop pretending that it's going to be about Canada, our ability to have a national league, and develop our own infrastructure.   

Also if an American team is drawing well and is a success in CPL, they would just get plucked by MLS. Would risk a lot of unnecessary instability 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Also if an American team is drawing well and is a success in CPL, they would just get plucked by MLS. Would risk a lot of unnecessary instability 

Agreed. 

I find it quite pathetic actually how "voyageurs" are already talking about American expansion and a ball hasn't even been kicked yet. Either we're a capable, competent G8 nation with an advanced economy; or we need America to hold our hand and tie our shoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

..Either we're a capable, competent G8 nation with an advanced economy; or we need America to hold our hand and tie our shoes.

If we had the geography of Luxembourg or Belgium we would have had a national league since back in the 1920s when the NSL was operating as a semi-pro league in the Windsor-Quebec corridor and drawing some reasonable sized crowds. Instead, we have population stretched out sporadically in a narrow band in an area comparable to Amsterdam to Tehran. The logic to north-south links has nothing to do with not being capable or competent in some way or not having an advanced economy and everything to do with soccer being a niche spectator sport rather than the dominant one and not being able to drive from one end of the country and back in a single day.

Think you can all relax about American involvement though. Since the 1990s, the USSF has blocked American entry into D1 leagues elsewhere. Have seen it claimed (on here back in the old network54 days) that they blocked a Chicago group entering the original CSL when it was in its death throws. The big one has been not allowing an LA team into the Mexican league system despite the cash bonanza that would be involved. From what I remember they actively blocked the APSL's LA Salsa from playing in the Mexican league system prior to the emergence of MLS, but it's been a while and I forget the gory details. The Tijuana Xolos tapping into the San Diego market is as close as the Mexican league is allowed to get to the huge Mexican-American soccer fanbase (that for the most part still steers well clear of MLS) without SUM being involved in some way through USSF sanctioning having to be obtained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Honestly, what is the point of letting in American teams to a league that is designed to be ‘Canadian’? Does this not remove the entire driving economic incentive for investors (a national league not in competition with NASL and USL).

I’d prefer we just use American leagues and infrastructure if we’re going to have US-based team in the CanPL, since the entire idea of having “our own infrastructure, by us, for us” would be entirely defeated by having 15 – 20% of the entire league be based in another country at launch.

Either this league will be Canadian, or it won’t. If it’s not, let's rename it USL-North and stop pretending that it's going to be about Canada, our ability to have a national league, and develop our own infrastructure.   

I don’t want American teams in the CPL either, but it wouldn’t entirely defeat the purpose of having our own league. We would still be able to decide who is in and who is out. How the league is run, how many Canadians per team, etc. There would still be much more power in Canada over the league than there is for MLS or USL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If we had the geography of Luxembourg or Belgium we would have had a national league since back in the 1920s when the NSL was operating as a semi-pro league in the Windsor-Quebec corridor and drawing some reasonable sized crowds. Instead, we have population stretched out sporadically in a narrow band in an area comparable to Amsterdam to Tehran. The logic to north-south links has nothing to do with not being capable or competent in some way or not having an advanced economy and everything to do with soccer being a niche spectator sport rather than the dominant one and not being able to drive from one end of the country and back in a single day.

Think you can all relax about American involvement though. Since the 1990s, the USSF has blocked American entry into D1 leagues elsewhere. Have seen it claimed (on here back in the old network54 days) that they blocked a Chicago group entering the original CSL when it was in its death throws. The big one has been not allowing an LA team into the Mexican league system despite the cash bonanza that would be involved. From what I remember they actively blocked the APSL's LA Salsa from playing in the Mexican league system prior to the emergence of MLS, but it's been a while and I forget the gory details. The Tijuana Xolos tapping into the San Diego market is as close as the Mexican league is allowed to get to the huge Mexican-American soccer fanbase (that for the most part still steers well clear of MLS) without SUM being involved in some way through USSF sanctioning having to be obtained.

I can't believe people are still trying to use our country's size as an excuse for the CPL to fail. Get out of the seventies.

 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I don’t want American teams in the CPL either, but it wouldn’t entirely defeat the purpose of having our own league. We would still be able to decide who is in and who is out. How the league is run, how many Canadians per team, etc. There would still be much more power in Canada over the league than there is for MLS or USL.

If there are American teams in CPL you can't force them to use Cdn. players, just like when the CFL had American teams they all used American players. I would assume it would be same for CPL.    NO American teams in CPL!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I can't believe people are still trying to use our country's size as an excuse for the CPL to fail. Get out of the seventies.

The costs of travel are significant. So it factors into economic viability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The costs of travel are significant. So it factors into economic viability.

Yes it does factor, but comparing it to the 20's (when the teams traveled by donkey) is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...