CPL new teams speculation

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

http://www.highlandersfc.ca/news/highlanders-fc-announce-new-ownership-group

I would say this puts the Highlanders back on the radar. Based on the new owners profile, I wouldn't say deep deep pockets but definitely bringing some bucks to the table. Interesting snippet at the bottom of the article. 

deFrias is the former general manager of the Highlanders and current owner of deFrias Management Group, a sports and event marketing agency, as well as the co-owner of PodiumTV, a live-streaming sports production company.

That would fit nicely with everything that's been talked about. 

@ted what do you think this ownership change/restructuring means for the club?

Edit: Sorry @ted, just noticed your comments in the Highlanders thread.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

deFrias is the former general manager of the Highlanders and current owner of deFrias Management Group, a sports and event marketing agency, as well as the co-owner of PodiumTV, a live-streaming sports production company.

That would fit nicely with everything that's been talked about. 

@ted what do you think this ownership change/restructuring means for the club?

Edit: Sorry @ted, just noticed your comments in the Highlanders thread.

I just did a google search on the owners. It appears that Brett Large is the company owner of Liquor Plus. A privately held chain of liquor stores based on South Vancouver Island. There's also Moreno Stefani who owns TeamSales Sports & Corporate Wear. This is a marketing sports supplier company that works with a variety of local, national and international sports suppliers from Adidas, Umbro, Asics, Puma, New Balance, etc. This looks to me as the investors that the CPL are seeking. As for Grant Olson, anyone here knows who he is?

Edited by Pat Carrasco

1 minute ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I just did a google search on the owners. It appears that Brett Large is the company owner of Liquor Plus. A privately held chain of liquor stores based on South Vancouver Island. There's also Moreno Stefani who owns TeamSales Sports & Corporate Wear. This company works with a variety of local, national and international sports suppliers from Adidas, Umbro, Asics, Puma, New Balance, etc. This looks to me as the investors that the CPL is seeking. As for Grant Olson, anyone here knows who he is?

From the article...

Olson owns and manages The Strathcona Hotel alongside his brothers, including it's neighbouring establishments such as the Sticky Wicket, Games Room, Big Bad John's, Rooftop and Distrikt nightclub...

In the Clanachan Q&A audio of February 1st at McMaster University he did drop the names of Southern Ontario cities of Windsor and Barrie maybe as future teams.  

Windsor may have slipped out because he had mentioned it earlier as his home town and where he went to school at University of Windsor.  

I would love having Barrie in the loop, but only see it as a CPL2 type of location, perhaps vying for promotion some day. The population is well below the size we've heard mentioned although one could argue has a large catchment area (e.g. Bradford, Collingwood, Orillia). There is certainly no existing stadium that could be used, although there is land around the city that I suppose could be purposed for a 5,000-seater. My youngest is in development with the Barrie Soccer Club which at U9 level is terrific, really focusing on developing the kids. While local politicians (we are in the process of losing one high profile one!) may love the idea, I doubt they would back the idea financially.

49 minutes ago, RickC said:

I would love having Barrie in the loop, but only see it as a CPL2 type of location, perhaps vying for promotion some day. The population is well below the size we've heard mentioned although one could argue has a large catchment area (e.g. Bradford, Collingwood, Orillia). There is certainly no existing stadium that could be used, although there is land around the city that I suppose could be purposed for a 5,000-seater. My youngest is in development with the Barrie Soccer Club which at U9 level is terrific, really focusing on developing the kids. While local politicians (we are in the process of losing one high profile one!) may love the idea, I doubt they would back the idea financially.

Not that I think Barrie (or Simcoe County) would be able to support a pro soccer team, I wonder if they could use that old horse racing track by the 400 as a stadium site if it was being explored.

8 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Not that I think Barrie (or Simcoe County) would be able to support a pro soccer team, I wonder if they could use that old horse racing track by the 400 as a stadium site if it was being explored.

That property was purchased by Osmington Corp. They are controlled by David Thomson, the wealthiest Canadian. Osmington intends to build yet another shopping centre in Barrie. Some day. 

On January 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't someone of note from Calgary Foothills say in an interview that they were not interested in a CPL team but would work with one if there was another ownership group interested in bringing a team to Calgary?

My guess is that was before the Spruce Meadows owner got on board with the CPL. Speculation is he will fund it, build the stadium (with grass surface) and have Calgary Foothills provide everything else. Makes sense as Foothills Soccer is the best club in the city.

1 hour ago, Prune_55 said:

My guess is that was before the Spruce Meadows owner got on board with the CPL. Speculation is he will fund it, build the stadium (with grass surface) and have Calgary Foothills provide everything else. Makes sense as Foothills Soccer is the best club in the city.

That’s what I was thinking, thanks.

That would move things significantly closer to launch territory, if they are willing to spend the cash on the build before seeing the league up and running for a season or two first in a similar sort of way to what S|E|A have said they are willing to do in Halifax. It already being zoned for sports and entertainment use might mean less visibility on municipal paperwork, but suspect something would still have to surface there very soon publicly if a 2019 launch involvement was to be on the cards.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

• 2 weeks later...

Part of me is intrigued by the idea - as long as we give them the MLS treatment.  CSA sanctioned league (exclusively), Canadians treated as domestics on all teams, rules that disadvantage their US players seeking to move to a team across the border, etc.  Then again, I have been reading too many CBC articles about Trump's verbal diarrhea of trade policy announcements, so that is just me being petty.

As Rheo said, I can't see it happening.  I don't imagine there is a lot of upside for a US team seen as playing in a Canadian league.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Part of me is intrigued by the idea...

Me too. And Welsh teams play in the EPL.

I will say that I don't have any interest in playing "tit for tat" with MLS though. They are simply a non-factor for me.

Other than that I have no idea where I am going with this!

Cosmos seem unlikely, but it got me thinking about Rochester if they could somehow get that TO-Rochester ferry back? Established stadium, brand, history of Canadian involvement with Pat Ercoli and a rivalry with Toronto. But I guess they've wrapped up operations now

23 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Me too. And Welsh teams play in the EPL.

I will say that I don't have any interest in playing "tit for tat" with MLS though. They are simply a non-factor for me.

Other than that I have no idea where I am going with this!

I think the appropriate analogy there is the Canadian teams play in the MLS..

4 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

Cosmos seem unlikely, but it got me thinking about Rochester if they could somehow get that TO-Rochester ferry back? Established stadium, brand, history of Canadian involvement with Pat Ercoli and a rivalry with Toronto. But I guess they've wrapped up operations now

I am half expecting TFC to announce that Rochester will replace TFC2 next year, and the Rhinos will be their new USL affiliate with loans etc.