CPL new teams speculation

8 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

Is there somewhere in this thread where there's a list of all rumoured teams?

Of all rumoured teams? How much chatter does one need to be considered a rumour? If the floor is minimal (like, 1 guy once said something) there are a lot. 

If you want actually confirmed: Winnipeg

Actually confirmed but hung up on stadium concerns: Hamilton

Not confirmed but kid of confirmed but also stadium issues: Halifax 

Maybe yes, maybe no, nobody here knows: everyone else. 

I was watching the WJHC and listening to conversation about the Slovak junior team playing in the pro league and it got me thinking.  I always wondered why the NTC's didn't prosper. A quick look at the Canada Soccer website and it looks like they are dead.  I always had my fantasy Canadian League with 5 NTC teams involved.  Now, if they are dead, is junior development totally on the clubs?  I guess there could be two methods to this.

1- Centralized junior (U-18) teams within the CPL

2- Encourage or mandate the pro clubs to have academy teams within their structure

I'm a bit torn on the two methods.  I looked at the Challenge Trophy this year.  Saskatchewan has a serious owner with a potential franchise in with Saskatoon or Regina, yet the senior team gets to the Nationals unopposed? BC has a field of 46 senior teams and can't get a provincial pro-am league like ON or QC started?  If the senior teams aren't working toward getting a pro franchise in the CPL then should the CSA add a U-18 team to the mix?  Impact B team?  Whitecaps B team?  FC Edmonton (rip)?

I will cheer on the entire CPL when it starts.  I'll do what ever I can to support it.  I wonder if this will all be new entities or will there be support from within the current Canadian soccer structure?

21 hours ago, coppercanuck said:

...I always wondered why the NTC's didn't prosper. A quick look at the Canada Soccer website and it looks like they are dead....  

There was no real reason to have them any more after the MLS academies started to dominate the rosters of youth level national teams. The MLS academies only started to get into full swing swing as a a way to largely replace the PDL/NCAA pathway after TFC's entry into MLS so it's not clear that is something that the CSA anticipated happening and welcomed given it usurped their role in elite player development. Right now the three MLS academies are geared towards USL in pro level development terms and the Ticats appear to be adamantly opposed to CanPL ever being used instead.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zem said:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled speculation:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't someone of note from Calgary Foothills say in an interview that they were not interested in a CPL team but would work with one if there was another ownership group interested in bringing a team to Calgary?

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't someone of note from Calgary Foothills say in an interview that they were not interested in a CPL team but would work with one if there was another ownership group interested in bringing a team to Calgary?

I believe that's correct.  Neither him or PB have revealed the nature of the trip.  As a guess could be anything from a full team out there to discussing developmental issues/agreements.  In other words lots more guessing for the board lol

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I believe that's correct.  Neither him or PB have revealed the nature of the trip.  As a guess could be anything from a full team out there to discussing developmental issues/agreements.  In other words lots more guessing for the board lol

I think the notable thing about this tweet is the fact the league is doing something in Calgary, given how it seemed like the possibility of a Calgary club in the short term was dead in the water.

If it's grassroots networking than it's possible there's a prospective ownership group in Calgary we haven't heard about, although it's also very possible that that isn't the case and it's just for the benefit of all the western clubs (Surrey, Vancouver, Edmonton, Saskatoon, etc.) in the short term since the Foothills have been very successful at developing players as of late.

• 2 weeks later...

Just listen to the Oranges at Halftime, https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/clanachan-we-are-going-to-create-a-professional-soccer-economy-1.972475 , and the rumour mill continues.  8-10 teams out of 15 potential communities.

Halifax, Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary, BCFC.  That would be an amazing start.  Can't wait for all these announcements ... I'm going to be sick of announcements. ;)

Where is Jim Brennan's York Region team or Barry McLean's K/W team on that list and how do Ottawa and Edmonton get on the list if there are no other CFL owners involved according to David Clanachan and FCE are not board according to Tom Fath? Lists like that are all over the place right now once you get beyond the core of BC, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Halifax that we can be confident are involved with investors apparently sorted out (subject to building work being approved in the three yet to be announced).

^^^this guy has slowly lost the plot in recent weeks. There is proof in the shape of multiple and well-documented mainstream media stories for an investor group in Surrey, Saskatoon and Halifax making active moves involving local municipalities to build a stadium for a CanPL entry. There is no such proof in Quebec, Montreal and Calgary, and the reasons for doubting Edmonton and Ottawa's involvement should be obvious to all at this point and are clearly stated. What I wrote should be non-controversial and is not about opinion but about the known facts.

Quebec City is a no brainer they should be in from the start I'm still surprised there is no real concrete news about an owner unless I'm missing something, but I'm hopeful in the end they will be there. I just have a feeling they will be one of the teams that will lead the league in attendance.

Other than the league says they are a go  and all the facts of hires, news etc and you ignore that with your theory that this is all just a desperate play to save something that you never thought could happen in the first place. You may be right but for fuck sakes it's not this absolute sure thing that you either imply or outright say it is. 

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Quebec City is a no brainer they should be in from the start I'm still surprised there is no real concrete news about an owner unless I'm missing something, but I'm hopeful in the end they will be there. I just have a feeling they will be one of the teams that will lead the league in attendance.

Clanachan said they were talking to QC, and there was the report months ago from Eric Chenoix that there was a QC ownership group making inquiries

Far from concrete but I think it's safe to say they are actively working on it if it isn't already lined up

23 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Quebec City is a no brainer they should be in from the start I'm still surprised there is no real concrete news about an owner unless I'm missing something,...

A lot depends on the attitude of the Rouge et Or given that's the only potentially viable stadium for use as is. The problem there is that the fieldturf is permanently marked and they may not want a rival attraction stealing their thunder in the fall:

1280px-RougeOr_football.jpg 

If that's a non-starter, you have to build something and that's expensive to do and something would have probably emerged publicly by now in terms of the approval process as has happened in Surrey, Saskatoon and Halifax, if anything was at a relatively advanced stage as it would need to be to be ready in time for April 2019.