Jump to content

CPL new teams speculation


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Who's he coaching now

Been coaching Greece since 2019. Will see him next weekend! 

And while it's my fault, you shouldnt have replied it's like saying Candyman three times in the mirror.. Robert will be all over this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Regina Exhibition Association Ltd (REAL) and Regina soccer organization FC Regina have entered into an agreement to expand Regina's indoor soccer facility and add a synthetic turf field that will include up to 5000 seats, and allow for a bubble over the winter months on the REAL campus next to Mosaic Stadium.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/new-soccer-facility-officially-in-the-works-on-the-real-campus-1.5520127#.YPsJ-0PTjwY.google

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Seems like CPL expansion in the next few years will likely be clubs from Quebec, Greater Vancouver/Fraser Valley, and Regina.

LOL, if you add Saskatoon to that list it is the exact same list we have talking about for the last three years. Where else would expansion be likely in the next few years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Okanagan!

I'd say they could be in the mix down the road but the ones already listed are going to get clubs first IMO. 

Of course a rich wanker with a dream could put one there sooner but that is true of many places in Canada ie. Fredericton NB, Sudbury ON, St. John's NL.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ted said:

LOL, if you add Saskatoon to that list it is the exact same list we have talking about for the last three years. Where else would expansion be likely in the next few years?

I'm still beating the drum about Moncton as a  great candidate city. Perfect stadium for it, central location among the three Maritime provinces, and one of the fastest growing cities in the region. 

I'd also really, *really* caution against St John's. As much as I love town, their track record for keeping pro/semi-pro sports teams is pretty abysmal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ted said:

I'd say they could be in the mix down the road but the ones already listed are going to get clubs first IMO. 

Of course a rich wanker with a dream could put one there sooner but that is true of many places in Canada ie. Fredericton NB, Sudbury ON, St. John's NL.

 

Yes I was only kidding.  I moved up here last September and there's really nowhere to play....and no air to breath if they tried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ted said:

LOL, if you add Saskatoon to that list it is the exact same list we have talking about for the last three years. Where else would expansion be likely in the next few years?

Was going to say Canada but thought I'd go out on a limb on this one;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm still beating the drum about Moncton as a  great candidate city. Perfect stadium for it, central location among the three Maritime provinces, and one of the fastest growing cities in the region. 

I'd also really, *really* caution against St John's. As much as I love town, their track record for keeping pro/semi-pro sports teams is pretty abysmal. 

I also believe Moncton would be great. 

There are three key factors. First, local investors, like we are seeing with Saskatoon. 

Next, stadium possibilities. Here Moncton is in good standing. 

Then the public administrations coming along and supporting a project. We are seeing in Saskatoon that the municipal and provincial support has not really come through yet, the investors are trying to take the lead. 

The other way is for them to work more hand in hand from the start. 

So regardless of what we would say are the ideal locations, we need investors, stadium options, and public support (financial, legal, administrative).

I am pretty sure we would see fans coming on board pretty well anywhere in the country where numbers are good enough. What I like about any of these options is that you automatically strengthen nearby teams. Having Moncton-HFX rivalry and even road trips really would enrich the league. Saskatoon will do that. So would Lower Mainland and Québec.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i could see a team in kelowna or kamloops being a no-brainer, but i'm not sure if they'd go there before lower mainland.

They'd need a decent stadium.  Apple Bowl in Kelowna is not decent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happened to be staying beside an amazing stadium site at Lakeshore and Cook Rd. Old campground that I assume is destined for condos. Too bad cause it would be a great location, save for no one could drive there due to the horrible traffic.

Orchard City, home of the Cherries? 

I've softened my MLS in Canada must die stance, and have concluded that Van/Tor/MTL should manage the way CPL enters their markets. I think setting up quasi farm teams that don't look like farm teams would make some sense. Kelowna for the Caps would be ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Happened to be staying beside an amazing stadium site at Lakeshore and Cook Rd. Old campground that I assume is destined for condos. Too bad cause it would be a great location, save for no one could drive there due to the horrible traffic.

Orchard City, home of the Cherries? 

I've softened my MLS in Canada must die stance, and have concluded that Van/Tor/MTL should manage the way CPL enters their markets. I think setting up quasi farm teams that don't look like farm teams would make some sense. Kelowna for the Caps would be ideal.

Buddies and I were talking about where in the lower mainland would be good for a team that could be a defacto whitecaps farm team.

New West would be awesome, would have to re-purpose Queen's Park Stadium as a soccer stadium tho so not sure about that one.

Surrey or Langley seems more likely. Maybe Coquitlam's Town Centre Stadium but that's less likely.

And as I mentioned before, Apple Bowl just needs a bit of a renovation and it'd be perfect.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I've softened my MLS in Canada must die stance, and have concluded that Van/Tor/MTL should manage the way CPL enters their markets. I think setting up quasi farm teams that don't look like farm teams would make some sense. Kelowna for the Caps would be ideal.

This was advocated many years ago in this article:

Ten Targets for a Canadian Second Division - Eighty Six Forever  read Minor League Soccer part of article

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Buddies and I were talking about where in the lower mainland would be good for a team that could be a defacto whitecaps farm team.

New West would be awesome, would have to re-purpose Queen's Park Stadium as a soccer stadium tho so not sure about that one.

Surrey or Langley seems more likely. Maybe Coquitlam's Town Centre Stadium but that's less likely.

And as I mentioned before, Apple Bowl just needs a bit of a renovation and it'd be perfect.

There won't be a Caps farm team in CPL so your posting in the wrong thread, they'll likely be in the new MLS farm team league or BC league 1, not Canada's Division 1 Canadian Premier League.

They'd probably do better in Kelowna though as previous Caps farm teams drew terribly and had little interest from fans in UBC and Langley before they folded the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

It holds as many as westhills did before the renovation.

Edit: correction, it holds more than westhills before the renovation.

Capacity wise it's fine.  It's not quality though.  Lots of money in Kelowna, the stadium doesn't reflect that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

There won't be a Caps farm team in CPL so your posting in the wrong thread, they'll likely be in the new MLS farm team league or BC league 1, not Canada's Division 1 Canadian Premier League.

They'd probably do better in Kelowna though as previous Caps farm teams drew terribly and had little interest from fans in UBC and Langley before they folded the team.

i was just replying to ynwa's comment about quasi farm teams. not an actual "whitecaps B", but an independent team that the whitecaps can draw from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Capacity wise it's fine.  It's not quality though.  Lots of money in Kelowna, the stadium doesn't reflect that.

the only hinderance might be the track. the grandstand is fine, changerooms need serious updating, and add some bleachers. i've played and coached in there a bunch of times, i know that stadium well. i mean, westhills was a glorified highschool stadium before they renovated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

the only hinderance might be the track. the grandstand is fine, changerooms need serious updating, and add some bleachers. i've played and coached in there a bunch of times, i know that stadium well. i mean, westhills was a glorified highschool stadium before they renovated.

It would be great if it was renovated.  Like you say, add more bleachers to actually surround the field and give it more of a "stadium" feel to it.  Kind of give it a Swangard Stadium (USL Whitecaps years) type feel to it and it would be great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think the would be short season pro-am D2 league that is playing some exhibition games this summer has a Kelowna group on board and there has been some talk of possible interest in CanPL previously. The metro area population is over 200k so not too far off Regina and significantly larger than Moncton in that regard.

 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...