CPL new teams speculation

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

So this replaces USL-1 or is in tandem with it???  TFC2 moves over to whatever this is? Long dead dumpster fire USL teams at Montreal and Van are re incarnated into some sort of zombie franchises??  Wasnt this all way to expensive for Van when they got out of USL?? 

Seperate from USL-1 which may have trouble meeting sanctioning requirements if/when they lose all the MLS reserve teams, apparently yes, would now be reserve teams in an MLS owned league so more difficult to justify denying sanctioning, a big part of what was too expensive was the 5,000 capacity stadium requirement for D2 USL-C level and the CSA later apparently wouldn't sanction new USL-1 entries for Montreal and Vancouver with a lower 1,000 capacity requirement.

The crunch for CanPL in longevity terms will be whether there is some sort of post-2026 growth spurt. Good luck with that if there is no clear connection with developing future CanMNT prospects by then and the general perception of the wider soccer community beyond the highly unrepresentative Voyageurs bubble is that it is a low budget semi-pro league with second rate talent. CanPL could also have had affiliates similar in concept to Atletico Ottawa or the rumoured Red Bull operation in a city begining with the letter M rather than reserve teams.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Out of curiosity, what's the Jets' fan perspective on the late-game hit that brought a 5-minute penalty and game misconduct? To me, it was a no-brainer call from the officials, and I suspect that your man's looking at a 1- to 3-game suspension. Others I've spoken to, namely my cousins on a What's App chat, don't even think it should've been a penalty.

Shorter answer, it's only a penalty because Evans got smashed and stretchered off.  

On camera a lot of commmentators and former NHLers will be talking the corporate line because the optic of the incident is dramatic, whenever someone gets hurt it always is, but I'm going to be presumptuous and suggest off camera 95% of those same types of people, the lives dependent on hockey/NHL since birth crowd, are going to pretty much echo what I've writing above.  

P.S.  Unless somethings changed over the years a match penalty in the final minutes of a game is an automatic 1 game suspension.

P.S.S.  At that point in the match circumstances required a penalty.

13 hours ago, narduch said:

TFC 2 survived but Montreal and Vancouver's reserve teams didn't.

MLS used to have a reserve league that they abandoned. 

Their USL partnership has unravelled. 

So colour me skeptical when they try to promote these announcements as a big deal.

Oh I know all of that, and I liked your comment and I totally agree with you. That's why I emphasized that I didn't want to refute your point.

Edited by Kent
"and", not "but".

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...because we all know what a huge success York 9 were at the box office back in 2019. Seriously bud at some point can we move beyond this sort of stuff and try to discuss what's happening a bit more intelligently than this?

If Atletico Ottawa and Red Bull M??? are acceptabe why would FC London or TFC Windsor stepping up to CanPL with a lot of TFC U-23 players on board have been the end of the world in marketing terms? Not going to happen now and a missed opportunity to get many of the best young Canadian prospects into the league rather than some USSF sanctioned D3.

As things stand right now the level of domestic talent in CanPL barely even registers in CanMNT terms and teams are being urged to bring in U-23 players with resale potential from other countries through some scouting agency with no sign so far of the sort of investment on domestic youth players that the three MLS franchises pour into their academy systems.

Personally I am not high on the Atletico, Red Bull, City, etc ownership model either. As has been pointed out, Vancouver and Montreal's 2nd teams didn't last long. Maybe they would have lasted longer if hosted in a separate city, or maybe not, but I kind of doubt they will be involved in this hypothetical D3 league anyways. And if TFC is involved they will probably have as much interest in results as their TFC II club has so far, and as I mentioned that has meant no playoffs for 5 years. If I lived in London or Windsor obviously I'd love to have a local pro team to cheer for, but my preference would be that the club would care at least a little bit about if they won any games.

As for your point about the lack of CPL involvement with the CMNT, you are being ridiculous. CPL has had some small contributions to the national team which isn't bad for a league that has only played about 1.25 seasons. Plus it's existence seems to have put pressure on MLS and we are seeing more Canadians playing in MLS than ever before. Impossible to prove that those points are related, but you start a domestic league and good things start to happen.

So its not like a new league they are going to cannabilize USL-1 and USL-C for the MSL sponsored teams??    This would seem more pertinent to USL survival then CPL fortunes.  

I'm sure on this board the Van guys were saying it cost 4-5million a season to run WC2 as it was and it just wasnt viable to run the team and have only 800 fans.  If they wanted to keep the team they could have been in USL-1 and fit right in with under 1000 fans.  And just to be fair we have to put the special CPL disclaimer on that, we dont know how many actually paid, whether they papered the crowd with free giveaways and we dont have pics of the crowds that we can all agree on.  

5 hours ago, Kent said:

...As for your point about the lack of CPL involvement with the CMNT, you are being ridiculous...

If they had a higher salary cap they would be more of a factor but a tepid response to the 2018 membership drives in several markets probably made them recalibrate the original plan a bit. Maybe I should dredge up old posts and newspaper stories to remind people what was being peddled in the years immediately preceding the league's launch and what the expectations were on here.

Even with the salary cap they have now if they targeted more of it at domestic talent they could be more of a factor than they have been. Instead, they had to be shamed recently into giving a large portion of the domestic players something at least vaguely resembling minimum wage and have gone for a half-baked Moneyball strategy that targets a large portion of the available contracts with reasonable salaries attached at U-23 players from other countries that they think they will be able to sell on later. 

31 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How did TFC2 get sanctioned? 

They stayed in USL-C in 2018 using Lamport to comply with the expensive USSF D2 requirements and were grandfathered in as an existing franchise linked to TFC in sanctioning terms when USL-L1 emerged in 2019. The Impact/FCM and Whitecaps found that having dropped out in second team terms they couldn't get sanctioning for anything USL related again once CanPL had launched and also couldn't get into CanPL so although they have both had U-23 operations up and running they haven't been able to find a league for them to play in yet.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

https://aftn.ca/garber-tells-csa-they-need-to-figure-out-how-to-engage-with-mls-teams-for-the-good-of-canadian-player-development/

... “It is particularly challenging here in Canada,” Garber noted. “Because we have massive investments going on in Vancouver, and in Toronto, and in Montreal and we no longer have the same mechanism and the same structure to be able to have those players that we’re investing deeply in have a competitive environment to be able to play in.

“Now at some point that needs to be resolved or the Canadian player is not going to get developed as effectively as they need to get developed. Right now, the Whitecaps don’t have a USL association because they’re not permitted to have a USL team here in Vancouver. Toronto has a USL 3 team, and there are a wide variety of reasons for that, and Montreal they had an affiliation [with USL side Ottawa Fury].” ...

I remember when Garber made those comments. And frankly they don`t prove anything.

If anything they are proof that MLS was a little worried about CPL and was hitting back.

But Garber is terrible. And has been terrible for Canadian soccer in general.

Edited by narduch

The USL-1 was getting organized in summer 2017.   Seems to me they shit canned WC2 in favor of a affiliate/loan deal with Fresno that summer, because it was too espensive to run WC2 with only 800 fans for a reserve team.  Montreal had dropped out earlier and arranged a affiliate deal with Ottawa in USL.  Saying they couldnt get sancitioning when they had it and gave it up is kind of funny.  TFC stuck with USL-C, switched home fields and then dropped to USL-1...if WC 2 or FC Montreal had stayed afloat they could have done the same thing....or is TFC special somehow??  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Aww forget it, we are polluting the perfectly good CPL thread with one guys favorite topic.  Why should we rehash MLS reserve teams here.  Start a new thread for MLS reserve league attempt 3 or maybe 4.

In the MLS sub forum. But OTP doesnt go there. He only likes to denigrate CPL here. Its the only Canadian soccer topic he is interested in.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seperate from USL-1 which may have trouble meeting sanctioning requirements if/when they lose all the MLS reserve teams, apparently yes, would now be reserve teams in an MLS owned league so more difficult to justify denying sanctioning, a big part of what was too expensive was the 5,000 capacity stadium requirement for D2 USL-C level and the CSA later apparently wouldn't sanction new USL-1 entries for Montreal and Vancouver with a lower 1,000 capacity requirement.

I feel like it'll be a joint venture with USL. USL league One can't really be making that much money so a joint venture could be a mutually beneficial arrangement. Support the USL which serves as their reserve league for many teams in C and 1, provide more stable finances for USL1,even add teams (there's only two MLS B teams in USL1, this could add some more) - the Major United Soccer League

Edited by rydermike