lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

New clubs are exciting, but I think we should pump the brakes here a bit. Including the MLS clubs, we are in every market that has ever attempted D1 football in Canada (all due respect to Kitchener Spirit & London Lasers). 8 clubs is a great number from a scheduling point of view, which should lead to an attendance bump as I assume most matches will be on the weekend. If we stay at 8 for awhile, it should also mean that the schedule can come out much sooner, which I think is crucial for better attendance.

One reason why they might want to continue to expand is to create conferences or divisions. Travel has to be one of the big cost centres in the league and if they can increase the number of games that can be travelled to on a bus, and decrease the cross-country flights, that's going to go a long ways to cutting costs.

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

TFC is one of the best producers of Homegrowns with Dallas and Redbulls. Not all of hem succeed, but they sure are producing large numbers of Professional Footballers so that others can use them.

I don't have any problems with them having US managers. If they'd suck yeah ok. 

I'll just leave this here

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Well that guy Owen ********** remember him was cut from the Canadian U17 national team and look how far he got. So ya it happens players are cut everyday and then turn out and make it big. So if TFC cut Liam it’s nothing new it happens all the time he ain’t the first player cut who then goes on to prove them wrong.

39 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Well that guy Owen ********** remember him was cut from the Canadian U17 national team and look how far he got. So ya it happens players are cut everyday and then turn out and make it big. So if TFC cut Liam it’s nothing new it happens all the time he ain’t the first player cut who then goes on to prove them wrong.

And iirc, he was from Alberta and couldn't get a look from any coaches there because he didn't have the right connections or wasn't one of the coach's favourites. 30 years on and things still haven't changed much at the grassroots level.

12 hours ago, PaulV said:

One reason why they might want to continue to expand is to create conferences or divisions. Travel has to be one of the big cost centres in the league and if they can increase the number of games that can be travelled to on a bus, and decrease the cross-country flights, that's going to go a long ways to cutting costs.

Suspect if they got ten teams for 2021 they would go to east and west conferences:

Pacific, Cavalry, FCE, Valour, ANOther

Forge, Y9, Atletico, Wanderers, ANOther

4x4 + 2x5 = 26 game regular season

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Please keep it single table, balanced schedule. I'm sick of mls and don't want to see the CPL resemble it in any way. 

Yep. And if you break into conference it starts to look like a regional "minor" league (think  WHL, OHL, QMJHL).

Perception is everything here with the general populace.

26 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yep. And if you break into conference it starts to look like a regional "minor" league (think  WHL, OHL, QMJHL)....

It also looks like the NHL, NBA, CFL and NFL, so don't think that's true. The reason North American leagues do this is that a single table is easy when you can drive from one end of a country to another in 3 or 4 hours as is the case in many European countries, but makes less sense if you have teams in cities stretched out over a distance comparable to Amsterdam to Tehran.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Suspect if they got ten teams for 2021 they would go to east and west conferences:

Pacific, Cavalry, FCE, Valour, ANOther

Forge, Y9, Atletico, Wanderers, ANOther

4x4 + 2x5 = 26 game regular season

for the west you can add : Saskatchewan and Fraser Valley

for the east you can add : Grand River(KW) and Quebec City

East West 6 teams each.

Something like the CEBL wants to do.

41 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

for the west you can add : Saskatchewan and Fraser Valley

for the east you can add : Grand River(KW) and Quebec City

East West 6 teams each.

Something like the CEBL wants to do.

They may have to split into conferences in the short term. A 2 Conference League you could fit up to 10-teams per conference with a 28-game schedule (1 game vs opposite conference teams (beyond 14 clubs), remaining games in conference). However if they can increase the number of clubs beyond 20, at that point they could create an 8-team, single table from the top 4 clubs in each conference and make this the new 1st division (CanPL Elite?) and the remaining CanPL clubs can be the 2nd division. They could then institute pro-rel between them with the 2nd Div playoff winner replacing the last-place CanPL Elite club the following season.

4 hours ago, Initial B said:

I think they'll want to keep it at 28 games for revenue purposes and from talking to staff at the AO event, it sounded like they wanted to ideally keep it single table.

Money talks. They may prefer single table and to save a few thousand wouldn't be worth the switch to conferences, but to save a few Million they will do it. Like most other things, I'm ok with it, if it keeps the league healthy. At 8 teams we're probably safe but at 10 they will consider it based on savings and if it's an even East/West split.

Edited by johnyb

I feel like conferences make sense for the NHL, NBA, etc. given the sheer number of teams. Playing 30-odd teams in a single table strikes me as a bit unweidly, whereas playing 15 or so more frequently makes things logistically easier without getting boring. Even when the CPL expands, I think we'd see it cap out at 16 max. 

I'd personally be against conferences for the CPL. Yes, it reduces travel costs, but my understanding is that Westjet has been heavily discounting travel for teams to begin with. Given the (comparatively) smaller number of teams for the CPL, I'd much rather have the variety of watching my home team play all the others a more or less even number of times in a given campaign than see them play the same few conference rivals over and over again. 

Edited by m-g-williams

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It also looks like the NHL, NBA, CFL and NFL, so don't think that's true. The reason North American leagues do this is that a single table is easy when you can drive from one end of a country to another in 3 or 4 hours as is the case in many European countries, but makes less sense if you have teams in cities stretched out over a distance comparable to Amsterdam to Tehran.

I agree. This is one area where I think it's perfectly fine for the league to cut costs for. No other league on similar standing in terms of finances has to contend with such a geography. I rather the money go into increasing the cap, or ensure greater financial viability so that we can have more teams in the league.

5 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yep. And if you break into conference it starts to look like a regional "minor" league (think  WHL, OHL, QMJHL).

You missed a few: CFL, NHL, NFL, MLB.

And for all I know NBA too but I know nothing about basketball.

7 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

What a strange comment.

The general populace isn't going to think "minor league" if it sees conferences. Why would that even be a concern?

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The general populace who watch non-MLS football will think something.

How many of those people have never heard of the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB? Remember we're talking about Canadians here.

My preference would be no conferences, but it’s not a big deal to me if they do split into conferences.

However, if they do I would like to suggest it would be awesome/hilarious if instead of an East/West split they do a North/South split. With the existing teams it would become.

North: Edmonton, Cavalry, Valour, Pacific

South: Forge, Atletico, Wanderers, York 9

Works out to the same split, but it’s some geography fun.

(yes, I did look up coordinates to confirm Langford isn’t south of any of the teams in the east).

I'm not sure why so many people assume attendance is going to go up this year. Last year had the novelty of new league/new team for all the cities involved. That will be there for a bit this year, but results are going to matter more. We saw attendance dropping for teams last year when it was clear they were poor. No reason to think that won't happen again this year, and with out the "novelty factor" to help prop some teams up. 

On 2/12/2020 at 3:16 PM, PaulV said:

I totally agree with this. Imagine Montreal gets a team - then we have four teams that travel to almost half of their away games (6/14)  via bus. Buses cost 3,000-4,000 for two days of travel. At its maximum, that's 4,000 for the 20-23 players + coaching staff + other (media+physio+admin) whereas a return ticket at best will cost 400$ per person if you assume the local bus travel takes the place of, for example, a Ottawa to Vancouver match (which will cost much more than 400$ return). If you do the match, you save several thousand off of one trip alone.

Edited by Senorpopps

Ottawa at the very least has that novelty...somewhat. 

As for novelty in general, we are soccer hooligans, the idea of being hardcore supporters should not be something that wears off....hopefully.