lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’d like to see this league get to 14 teams. Another in BC, Saskatchewan, western Ontario, 2 in Quebec and another in the maritimes. The momentum is there, I saw it yesterday with the Ottawa announcement and then with 2026 coming up. I also read on Twitter it was mentioned that the league would like to have a market in every current CHL city. That would be spectacular, then have 3 leagues with pro/rel that’s the dream for me.

3 leagues with pro/rel would be the dream for me too but unfortunately I feel it will only stay as a dream unless soccer becomes by far the #1 sport in the country. I'm hoping we see an increase in the attendance this year. 

30 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

3 leagues with pro/rel would be the dream for me too but unfortunately I feel it will only stay as a dream unless soccer becomes by far the #1 sport in the country. I'm hoping we see an increase in the attendance this year. 

Doesn't have to be #1 overall, just #1 in the summer. If CPL ever get to CFL level for merchandise sale, TV viewership and attendance...watch out!

New clubs are exciting, but I think we should pump the brakes here a bit. Including the MLS clubs, we are in every market that has ever attempted D1 football in Canada (all due respect to Kitchener Spirit & London Lasers). 8 clubs is a great number from a scheduling point of view, which should lead to an attendance bump as I assume most matches will be on the weekend. If we stay at 8 for awhile, it should also mean that the schedule can come out much sooner, which I think is crucial for better attendance.

If there are major foreign and domestic investors champing at the bit to get in, Pacific, FCE, and HFX are all poorly capitalized. Let's help them first. Each club already has at least one question mark: Pacific (bad location, poorly capitalized, plastic pitch), FCE (horrible stadium, poorly capitalized, plastic pitch), Cavalry (bad location), Valour (not enough fans relative to stadium size, plastic pitch), York (identity crisis, stadium issues), Forge (not enough fans relative to stadium size, plastic pitch), AO (no fans, plastic pitch) and HFX (poorly capitalized, permanency of the stadium). We don't seem to have nearly enough sponsors overall.

I would fix these issues first, and you naturally move closer to the CFL cap of $5m. We already have so many clubs playing high level D3 or US D4. Let's bring these together at the $750k cap with all the supposed investors in London, Kitchener, Fraser Valley, Saskatoon, Quebec City etc. and focus our EXPANSION energy on building a West and East D2 of 8 clubs each. A 16 club D2 will provide all the CanCon we need, without delaying the growth of D1.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Doesn't have to be #1 overall, just #1 in the summer. If CPL ever get to CFL level for merchandise sale, TV viewership and attendance...watch out!

It doesn't even have to be the whole league either. Once a few clubs get to those kinds of numbers, when Forge and Valour start filling out their respective stadiums for example, the battle will be won. 

11 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Adding Ottawa was huge. Quebec City should be the next big market addition. I feel a Quebec City team would have great support. 

I think it’s important for this league to establish teams in Quebec not only for the francophone representation but for the development of soccer. It’s crazy that with the level of talent in Que there’s not already two teams

On 2/10/2020 at 10:47 PM, shamrock said:

And then let go all the potential profits in the future? (it's this promise MLS is built on). 

OK, you are really not understanding business here.

The decision on playing in the CanPL is primarily sporting. There is NO requirement that the CanPL income and budgets come close to MLS levels. The only requirement from a business perspective, is that the league is viable.

They can sell the franchise to another ownership group and make $$$.

They can remain invested in MLS, and move the team and make $$$.

There is no way that they lose $$$ if they lose their exemption to play in Canada.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Attendance to rise will need bigger stadiums in this country outside of those that play in CFL ones. I really do not see an appetite for a stadium boom in this country. Its evident by the push back with the proposed stadium plan in Halifax right now. I am not convinced it is going to be build. Would it have been better to have gone the traditional tv route, was that opportunity actually there. I think a combined tv and streaming deal would have made sense for exposure. Even the Toronto Arrows of Major League Rugby have a broadcast deal with TSN. I think their is opportunity for growth but how much we shall see. 

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

New clubs are exciting, but I think we should pump the brakes here a bit....

When there are no teams in Quebec or lower mainland BC, and Halifax has shown that smaller markets can actually work better than many of the larger ones? Seriously doubt that's what is on the league's agenda.

8 club leagues can quickly get very stale and boring when teams can easily be playing against each other 6 or 7 times per season. They've done the right thing by keeping the budgets low enough that 12 or 14 is very much credible if stadiums get sorted out in markets like Kitchener, London and Quebec City. At that point there's plenty of variety throughout the season.

The $1.5 million salary cap that many people wanted on here would have been a recipe for loads of red ink, but $0.75 million means running one of these teams isn't mission impossible in break even terms and year one showed there are plenty of players to be signed domestically that can provide a reasonable level of watchable pro soccer once provided with the opportunity to train full-time, so there's no need to fixate over being bigger budget than the USL or whatever.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

52 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Would it have been better to have gone the traditional tv route, was that opportunity actually there. I think a combined tv and streaming deal would have made sense for exposure. Even the Toronto Arrows of Major League Rugby have a broadcast deal with TSN. I think their is opportunity for growth but how much we shall see. 

Lot of sports can get shown on tv but the question is for how much. The Arrows are not receiving $200 million or even $20 million.

I watched parts of Sunday's Arrows game - not sure of the source of the feed used by TSN but the quality was like local tv station covering their local team. A bit clueless sideline reporter asked a Toronto player about playing for the coach - except name mentioned was of the Austin coach. Game was on TSN2 which isn't offered in most basic or basic+ packages.

So far, there is not much difference to the Game tv production of the games last year. And way below the standard of Sky Sports coverage of the Wolfpack games.

Vs the CPL, the CPL production is on par with national cable sports tv, provide pre & post shows and all matches are available. And in part helped by Mediapro, AM now owns a club in the league.

29 minutes ago, red card said:

Lot of sports can get shown on tv but the question is for how much. The Arrows are not receiving $200 million or even $20 million.

I watched parts of Sunday's Arrows game - not sure of the source of the feed used by TSN but the quality was like local tv station covering their local team. A bit clueless sideline reporter asked a Toronto player about playing for the coach - except name mentioned was of the Austin coach. Game was on TSN2 which isn't offered in most basic or basic+ packages.

So far, there is not much difference to the Game tv production of the games last year. And way below the standard of Sky Sports coverage of the Wolfpack games.

Vs the CPL, the CPL production is on par with national cable sports tv, provide pre & post shows and all matches are available. And in part helped by Mediapro, AM now owns a club in the league.

I guess the question is, the upfront cash vs a bigger media foot print, whats more important , I guess its a question of short term vs long term gains. I think can all agree that more exposure for the league would have been achieved by being on TSN Sportsnet etc vs. One Soccer, more eyes would have seen them. Leagues can have more than one broadcast partner, wonder how much thought would have been given to doing a lesser deal with media pro, say for 12-15 million a season and holding back some games to be sold to a traditional tv broadcaster. I know we ended up with 10 games on CBC. 

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

New clubs are exciting, but I think we should pump the brakes here a bit. Including the MLS clubs, we are in every market that has ever attempted D1 football in Canada (all due respect to Kitchener Spirit & London Lasers). 8 clubs is a great number from a scheduling point of view, which should lead to an attendance bump as I assume most matches will be on the weekend. If we stay at 8 for awhile, it should also mean that the schedule can come out much sooner, which I think is crucial for better attendance.

One reason why they might want to continue to expand is to create conferences or divisions. Travel has to be one of the big cost centres in the league and if they can increase the number of games that can be travelled to on a bus, and decrease the cross-country flights, that's going to go a long ways to cutting costs.

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

TFC is one of the best producers of Homegrowns with Dallas and Redbulls. Not all of hem succeed, but they sure are producing large numbers of Professional Footballers so that others can use them.

I don't have any problems with them having US managers. If they'd suck yeah ok. 

I'll just leave this here

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Well that guy Owen ********** remember him was cut from the Canadian U17 national team and look how far he got. So ya it happens players are cut everyday and then turn out and make it big. So if TFC cut Liam it’s nothing new it happens all the time he ain’t the first player cut who then goes on to prove them wrong.

39 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Well that guy Owen ********** remember him was cut from the Canadian U17 national team and look how far he got. So ya it happens players are cut everyday and then turn out and make it big. So if TFC cut Liam it’s nothing new it happens all the time he ain’t the first player cut who then goes on to prove them wrong.

And iirc, he was from Alberta and couldn't get a look from any coaches there because he didn't have the right connections or wasn't one of the coach's favourites. 30 years on and things still haven't changed much at the grassroots level.

12 hours ago, PaulV said:

One reason why they might want to continue to expand is to create conferences or divisions. Travel has to be one of the big cost centres in the league and if they can increase the number of games that can be travelled to on a bus, and decrease the cross-country flights, that's going to go a long ways to cutting costs.

Suspect if they got ten teams for 2021 they would go to east and west conferences:

Pacific, Cavalry, FCE, Valour, ANOther

Forge, Y9, Atletico, Wanderers, ANOther

4x4 + 2x5 = 26 game regular season

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Please keep it single table, balanced schedule. I'm sick of mls and don't want to see the CPL resemble it in any way. 

Yep. And if you break into conference it starts to look like a regional "minor" league (think  WHL, OHL, QMJHL).

Perception is everything here with the general populace.

26 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yep. And if you break into conference it starts to look like a regional "minor" league (think  WHL, OHL, QMJHL)....

It also looks like the NHL, NBA, CFL and NFL, so don't think that's true. The reason North American leagues do this is that a single table is easy when you can drive from one end of a country to another in 3 or 4 hours as is the case in many European countries, but makes less sense if you have teams in cities stretched out over a distance comparable to Amsterdam to Tehran.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot