CPL new teams speculation

50 minutes ago, RickC said:

To make it an even number of teams and a balanced schedule, they would announce 14th and 15th at the same time, si? Unless of course Sunderland decides to operate a CPL club, in which case maybe the Black Cats would be happy to be the 13th and take the stairs.

Good one, very close. And an ingenious way to get a team to accept being the 13th. 

I was just thinking that no elevator would have the 13th floor, that hand would hold the doors open and push the next button, the 14th. So they would announce the 14th and it would in fact be the thirteenth.

I tried.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I have no problem with Roma investing in CPL, but if it's going to be a club called Roma,....ie Saskatoon Roma or Fraser Valley Roma, etc,.......I think that's complete crap and will turn off many people.

In fact, many of my die-hard Italian friends would probably not support the club because they are not Roma supporters.

The Roma connection immediately made me think about that new GM at Whitecaps, Mark Pannes, who was there for quite a few years after being with the Knicks (BTW, people say both were very badly run under his direction). 

In any case, problem with Roma and fans of other Italian teams, same would happen with major EPL or SPL sides.  But that is what works and is good about Atlético, it is a big club people recognize, but there are too few Canadian Real Madrid fans who happen to also hate them along with Barça. Because the only fans to despise Atlético are RM fans. 

If a big club had been smart they would have sponsored the entire league. I bandied this about with fellow Barça supporters last spring, but with no capacity to take it any further. If they had come in as league sponsores, and we'd have been the FCB CPL (like the Barclay's EPL). That could have worked for them, but they would have had to also get the league to do a Nike deal and get all the merchandising in line.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would a club like AS Roma want to be out in Stompin Tom Connors sort of territory? You have to see it from their angle as well. They would probably want to be in a market with a lot of people from an Italian background where a youth academy operation might uncover the next Alphonso Davies. 

St. John’s won’t get a team

On 1/31/2020 at 9:58 AM, Initial B said:

But the ramifications of any sort of ruling would be huge, especially as that would affect Cardiff and Swansea in the English system. Or Monaco in the French system.

Not comparable.

The jump from the Welsh League to the English, or the Monaco to the French is much greater than CanPL to MLS. Exemptions are, by their very nature, exceptional.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:55 PM, Ansem said:

-Fraser Valley

-Mississauga

[snip]

-Division II is sanctioned by the CSA

Fraser Valley will be announced for 2021 and there is already a group working on a D2 which could begin play as early as 2021 or 22.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:06 PM, MtlMario said:

CFL has 9 clubs (hopefully 10 (Halifax) soon).  PS  Probably a typo error on your part.

Not that it makes a huge difference in the overall numbers, but the league office takes an equal cut for operations funding.  So each of 9 clubs does get 1/10 of the value.

Perhaps other league do similar but that's the one I know about. 

17 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I have no problem with Roma investing in CPL, but if it's going to be a club called Roma,....ie Saskatoon Roma or Fraser Valley Roma, etc,.......I think that's complete crap and will turn off many people....

ASR Saskatchewan Wolves wearing Roma colours might work for both parties? Seriously doubt they would wind up in Saskatoon though for the reasons already posted about above.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

ASR Saskatchewan Wolves wearing Roma colours might work for both parties? Seriously doubt they would wind up in Saskatoon though for the reasons already posted about above.

People from SK have their own rich culture, history and identity.  How about a name that people from Saskatoon or SK can actually identify with and call their own.

Lyon in QC, I have no problem with.  It fits for obvious reasons.  

Saskatoon Ipswich or Saskatoon Roma, etc.......forget it.  You will alienate a huge portion of your fan base right off the hop.  

This is what the CPL was all about.  Having clubs that represented their Canadian cities, history, geography, etc......?  At least that's what they told us.

10 hours ago, ted said:

Fraser Valley will be announced for 2021 and there is already a group working on a D2 which could begin play as early as 2021 or 22.

Where would this Fraser Valley team play in Surrey or Langley.  (Suggested name just a thought Valley FC)

What is this group working on a D2??  Who (which areas) in BC would be in this D2?

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

Foreign investment is good, i just hope the league doesn't look like Athletico Ottawa, OL Quebec, Toronto Roma, etc.... Its very tacky IMO. 

I also hope the CPL caps at 12 or 14 teams. Allowing for better D2 expansion/competition and best scheduling. 22 or 26 games with increased playoffs.

Early days yet for foreign investment but there is a concern the CPL starts looking like a scouting/marketing league for big foreign clubs.  That said, I trust the CPL management to consider this as they grow the league.

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

People from SK have their own rich culture, history and identity.  How about a name that people from Saskatoon or SK can actually identify with and call their own....

I really don't think it's SK that would be the target here:

If the GTA would be the target market from an academy standpoint there's a massive Italian-Canadian community around, and it would be very much in tune with multiculturalism, which is also part of what Canada is all about. Going down this route probably would have worked a bit better than Y9 did in year one, and would have been an interesting parallel with CUSL given a Lazio team in the GTA were rumoured to be part of plans.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I really don't think it's SK that would be the target here:

If the GTA would be the target market from an academy standpoint there's a massive Italian-Canadian community around, and it would be very much in tune with multiculturalism, which is also part of what Canada is all about. Going down this route probably would have worked a bit better than Y9 did in year one, and would have been an interesting parallel with CUSL given a Lazio team in the GTA were rumoured to be part of plans.

There's a massive Italian community, and an even bigger community that is not Italian.  Believe it or not, many of those Canadians of Italian origin consider themselves Canadian, first and foremost.   Why potentially alienate a majority of the population ?   It would be very short sited for the CPL to take this route.  

Think the point to bear in mind when you get into the GTA is that the population involved is huge so there is room for multiple teams and no need to attract all the potential fanbase to be able to carve out a viable niche unlike what you would need to do in Saskatoon. In the GTA you need something that persuades people to choose the lower budget CanPL team rather than higher budget TFC team and Y9's approach really wasn't working last summer. Being linked to a top Serie A club in some way would add a lot of credibility.

Suspect MLSE would be much more concerned about having an AS Roma clone suddenly set up shop on its doorstep attracting top local prospects into their academy with the lure of a pathway to Serie A rather than MLS than they were about Y9 pursuing a Stompin Tom Conners approach with all the By Canadians For Canadians stuff. Nothing says good soccer to a post-WWII immigration crowd quite as much as moose, lumberjacks and igloos [note this is sarcasm]. Canada isn't homogenous culturally so there should be space for different approaches depending on local circumstances. What works well in Halifax or Saskatoon isn't necessarily going to be what works well for Mississauga and vice versa.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

This is an interesting discussion on whether the CPL should/will become the domain of rich clubs and foreign owners buying into the league.  I personally can’t see it going beyond a small minority of clubs; and can’t see more than about 12-15 markets where a first division operation could be viable.  Atletico Madrid have first mover status but after a certain number, the upside is diluted enough that it no longer makes sense on any level.

Agree there's a limit to how far it would ever go, but the main thing is they are actually doing it this time. Even a very limited range of teams of this type can help get the numbers up to where they need to be, unlike what happened when MLSE wanted in and they spurned the opportunity as they were scared of the optics. 

If Roma are looking at it, hopefully they'll remember where they found Jade Kovacevic for their women's team:

https://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/995676

Think there actually was a AS Roma themed soccer team in London at one point that played at Labbatt Park run by one of the dudes who was later involved with the launch of the London Lasers.

I would be happier if there were Canadian ownership groups lining up to invest in the league but at the end of the day the main thing is that people are willing to walk the talk and actually back CPL teams in cities across the country.  Where those owners live is far less important to me than their level of commitment to the project.  And I am assuming that CPL brass will vet any person or group seeking to be the owner of a team and that there are mechanisms in place to avoid fly by night operators. 

As long as foreign groups partners with local investors, I dont really see an issue with it.

As for the name....got to make sense. I get Atletico Ottawa but naming another city by adding "Roma" is just silly.

Lyon could just have "Olympique" in front of Quebec and that would be accepted like "Olympique de Quebec or Olympique Quebecois"

Edited by Ansem

Roma does have a bit of history of playing friendlies in Toronto. We went to the Roma vs Celtic match in 2004 and although we sat with the Celtic supporter's side there was definitely more support for Roma. But, that was with Totti at or near his prime. They also played at least once vs TFC after Bradley joined TFC. 

I love that Atletico is in Ottawa. Agree with Ansem that if Lyon arrived it would work well to have a team named Olympique...

A team named Roma-something would not work for me but having a team in giallo rossi (yellow red) without "Roma" in their name would be good.

57 minutes ago, Ansem said:

As long as foreign groups partners with local investors, I dont really see an issue with it.

As for the name....got to make sense. I get Atletico Ottawa but naming another city by adding "Roma" is just silly.

Lyon could just have "Olympique" in front of Quebec and that would be accepted like "Olympique de Quebec or Olympique Quebecois"

Exactly what I am saying.