CPL new teams speculation

8 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't disagree with anything you say, and may be completely naive, but I think our aspirations need to be higher for CPL. I'm not sure MLS has as big a lead on us as some think. The year before TFC entered the league, they had a hard cap of $1.9m. Our big three markets, particularly Toronto, have contributed a lot to the rapid growth of the league. If we took them back, I think attendance would grow rapidly across the league, both at the ground and on TV. The CFL has a $5.2m cap and are apparently in awe of some of the CPL deals. At that salary level, you wouldn't notice much disparity in quality with MLS -which can be painful to watch at times for all their DPs and other curious spending.

CPL having a similar cap than CFL is very realistic in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Yes but there won't be valid grounds to do so next time they have to reapply.

Looks like reserve squads are more likely than academies. Seems like they prefer to rely on the regional academies to supply them with talents. I was listening to a podcast where it was explained why CPL clubs choose not to launch academies (alienating existing academies who would view this as direct competition) and I recall another podcast highlighting the business analysis of the cost of running academies vs results/getting a return.

16 minute mark

https://northernstartingeleven.com/premier-podcast-s01e14-riding-high/

To which it was pointed out that our 3 MLS teams haven't been very successful there. That's why they prefer partnering with existing academies instead of competing against them this early in their existence and focus available funds in making their teams viable while developing talents to get a return. (buy low/sell high)*

*Joel Waterman

Might change in the future but I understand the short to medium term logic behind it. I understand your point that MLS Academies has helped CPL getting talent but at the core, this is a business and those academies haven't help those clubs nearly enough in comparison to the cost of running those academies (Davies would be a huge exception to that).

MLS, in my opinion, has an "identity crisis". CPL 1.0 clearly wants to be a selling league focused on developing talents, so are academies really that vital when there are existing academies with whom they can partner with? Good question

When it comes to Toronto FC Academy they were playing in League 1 Ontario. After dominating their first season braintrust decided the level was not to their liking for the senior team. They getapproval to field their senior team in USL PDL with the understanding it would only be for the one season. We all know the CSA wants teams playing in Canadian leagues thus where its viable you have to play in the provincial D3 league. The told London and Kitchener they would no longer play in the USL PDL but since then have allowed TFC academy to play in the US Soccer DA league. Does this goes against what the CSA has been pushing in the past?

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

And expenses?

This was their player payroll. It will be somewhat less this year until they sign their 3rd DP. 

$22,244,535 US

I wonder if we will see CPL team spending to this level after 2026. The MLS teams will be left alone in my eyes as long as they are spending at a completely different level than what the CPL. This is not the Ottawa Fury situation in any way. 

56 minutes ago, Lofty said:

2019 Salary cap: $4.24m USD.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

3 DP's: $16.5m USD.

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/mls-designated-players-2019-list-salaries

$43m USD minus $20.74m USD leaves $22.26m USD to play with. Which, incidentally (according to the list I linked above), is more than the Whitecap's total revenue.

I think it is fair to say that TFC are making a very healthy profit.

MLS teams all have $1.2M per season in TAM plus teams have the option of purchasing another $2.8M in TAM each year, so that $4.24M salary “cap” is actually $7.24M plus whatever the DPs make. 

In TFC’s case, they also paid an $11.5M transfer fee for Pozuelo, but they got back $2-3M for Giovinco and a smaller fee for Vazquez. Add in academy costs, facility upkeep (TFC paid for hybrid turf installation last year) and other recurring costs (coaches, trainers, medical staff, admin, etc), and that healthy profit isn’t so huge Any more. 

That being said, I think TFC’s book are much better off than any other club in Canada.

^ ?   

Really?  Who?  Not being a wise ass, just would be stunned to think any EPL team is spending anywhere even close to 24 USD  on wages and I watched Villa squeek by Watford last week so....

(That being said there's a not-so-recent history of clubs winning promotion just to cash in.  A year in the Prem and a few years of parachute money is A LOT of dought if you don't spend it).  

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

CPL having a similar cap than CFL is very realistic in my opinion.

CPL attendance will have to grow first, CFL average attendance being north of 20K. I just do not see the desire to spend to that level, the CFL salary cap in 2018 was $5,200,000. For the type of league the CPL is trying to be, I do not think it makes sense. 

The low salary cap, the well-disguised and still not fully clarified single entity tendencies and willingness to allow clubs from higher profile leagues to invest are all things they have got right despite it running against prevailing opinion on here. The key now is to build up the quality of the soccer without changing the domestic content rules and that should mean a focus on youth development through academy systems, which is something Atletico Madrid might help take the lead on.

Easy to say if you are not the one having to meet a seven figure loss every year to attract in players that will often be only marginally better anyway. Better soccer building up from the grassroots of the sport domestically = better crowds over time = a higher cap that is actually sustainable.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

20 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Easy to say if you are not the one having to meet a seven figure loss every year to attract in players that will often be only marginally better anyway. Better soccer building up from the grassroots of the sport domestically = better crowds over time = a higher cap that is actually sustainable.

A salary cap raise would be less expensive then setting up a proper academy. 

10 hours ago, Cblake said:

CPL attendance will have to grow first, CFL average attendance being north of 20K. I just do not see the desire to spend to that level, the CFL salary cap in 2018 was $5,200,000. For the type of league the CPL is trying to be, I do not think it makes sense. 

I believe the CPL's potential in revenue, think broadcasting, merchandise, nationwide sponsorships, local sponsorships, etc. has a much higher ceiling than the CFL. 

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

The Fury used to have their U19 and U17 teams in PLSQ, but found it was boys competing against men. I hope the L1O team is aware that the average age of players in that league are slightly older than L1O. 

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Good pathway building for Valour. Not likely to be much past that.

Seems to be separate from the Valour:

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/news_article/show/1081565

The Garcea Group also owns Ital-Inter SC, a men’s team competing in the Manitoba Major Soccer League’s Premier Division, and is a partner in the 1v1 Futbol Academy.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

After losing a couple of teams this is good news for PLSQ.  It's also good to see that the people running soccer in this country are starting to get their heads on straight and do what is best for the game instead of what is best for themselves.  Ontario Soccer and the CSA could've been boneheads about the request from OSU to join the PLSQ but they made a decision that was better for Ottawa and their players.  

7 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

After losing a couple of teams this is good news for PLSQ.  It's also good to see that the people running soccer in this country are starting to get their heads on straight and do what is best for the game instead of what is best for themselves.  Ontario Soccer and the CSA could've been boneheads about the request from OSU to join the PLSQ but they made a decision that was better for Ottawa and their players.  

Totally agree.  But we haven’t heard from CONCACAF yet on sanctioning.  🙂