CPL new teams speculation

On 1/20/2020 at 7:15 PM, narduch said:

Welcome to last week

Last week we were supposed to hear this week. The week before we were supposed to hear last week.

Reading up the thread, there's almost an infinite number of comments about expansion that we'll hear next week.

Presumably, if the league ever does expand, ultimately there will be a sage predicting the week before that there'll be an announcement! :)

#StuckClock

Edited by nfitz

22 hours ago, nfitz said:

Last week we were supposed to hear this week. The week before we were supposed to hear last week.

Reading up the thread, there's almost an infinite number of comments about expansion that we'll hear next week.

Presumably, if the league ever does expand, ultimately there will be a sage predicting the week before that there'll be an announcement! :)

#StuckClock

Entering the realm of self fulfilling prophecy .... 

With the success this league is generating I imagine it's only a matter of time until the business proposals get completed to a level where an announcement will be made.

That would be another huge move for the league.  And from the parent club's perspective it is a good wager.  Quite low operating costs on the bell curve of footy teams, in a new league with a high ceiling, and the possibility of unearthing a few gems (in a still relatively untapped developed country) to help sweeten the deal.

I suspect the recent exploits of Davies has a lot to do with this being an attractive venture for these clubs.   Developing the next Davies or David would basically offset operating costs for 10+ years. 

The Atletico Madrid and Lyon involvement would be great for the league.  It is stable ownership that is interested in the game, knows what they are getting into and have a good track record of developing players.

To have clubs like Atletico Madrid and Lyon involved as owners legitimizes the league to the average Joe Sportsfan, while the domestic player rules in the CPL prevent any of that legitimacy from being lost as they can't stock their rosters with loan players from their parent club.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Olympique would be a good team name. Although I think the IOC wouldn't allow it. 

As for the stadium. Isn't the only real issue with Laval U the playing surface?

Les Lyons🦁 de Québec     😁

It seems like a no-brainer that Ligue 1 teams would want teams in Quebec. French Language and foot in the North American Market should make it very attractive to them. That said, I think it's a little hypocritical to not allow the Canadian MLS clubs to do the same thing.

16 minutes ago, Initial B said:

It seems like a no-brainer that Ligue 1 teams would want teams in Quebec. French Language and foot in the North American Market should make it very attractive to them. That said, I think it's a little hypocritical to not allow the Canadian MLS clubs to do the same thing.

Dealing with a single-entity organization that doesn't conform to the norms of the industry versus dealing with independent clubs is very different.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Have teams in the CPL.

We know TFC was interested for sure.

Ok, gotcha. I agree. They might have initially had grand visions of local ownership in all markets and kept the MLS owners out for fear that the teams would be viewed as reserve teams, but have since found that there are a shortage of local owners (viz. OSEG) but easier money from overseas. If people get used to the idea of teams owned by bigger clubs, then maybe they can draft guidelines that would allow MLS ownership like MLSE in, but with appropriate firewalls to prevent the team from being TFCII.