CPL new teams speculation

Yeah I think there are a lot of variables. I don't think it will kill it completely if they build this year. I didn't mind it last year and this year looks more exciting. Any form of "pro" soccer is better than none. Preaching patience isn't the worst as hard as it can be.

There could be lots of reasons ownership would feel another year would be best. Without a huge established player pool or youth set up working with the youngsters here makes sense. Likewise building more community partnerships. That said you risk losing the better youngsters to other CPL teams or elsewhere by waiting. It would potentially also take a huge amount of wind out of the sails of hardcores and momentum built with non soccer fans in the city/province though. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Yep. Wouldn't call Atletico much bigger than Espanyol tbh. 🤷‍♂️

Atletico Madrid: 10x La Liga winners, 10x Copa del Rey winners, 3x UEFA Cup winners, 1 Cup Winners Cup winner, 3x European Cup finalists, brand new 68k+ capacity stadium, currently 3rd in the UEFA club rankings...

Espanyol: ...

But, it's all relative, I guess.

2 hours ago, dnina10 said:

I'm with you on that front. Based on the attendances for sporting events in the province, and that there is space to play, it would be unwise to push them back farther than 2021. I really hope they get a team soon. When they do, I will definitely support them too.

Wasn't there some talk about them potentially being more interested in that D2 league that was being kicked about?

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Wasn't there some talk about them potentially being more interested in that D2 league that was being kicked about?

It was all misinterpreted I think. I think the SKSSS in 2020 is the D2 league in question. Might not even be a league. It's something potential new teams might get involved in to test waters like SK has. We will likely all find out before too long.

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

It was all misinterpreted I think. I think the SKSSS in 2020 is the D2 league in question. Might not even be a league. It's something potential new teams might get involved in to test waters like SK has. We will likely all find out before too long.

This is my understanding of the situation. It'd be higher than D3, but lower than D1, but really just a sort of tournament for testing the waters.

Leaning toward predicting the likelyhood of Metro Vancouver/FraserValley & Quebec City being added for 2021 after Ottawa - the momentum for expansion is sure to pick up and the D1 CPL gain in stature with Athletico Ottawa coming on board. Expansion in prime markets available will pick up in interest quickly, and if the rumoured discount fee for Rob Friend's Metro Vancouver CPL expansion slot has a expiry he will want to get it done ASAP.

13 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

Since I've got a place in Cambridge I'm selfishly hoping for a KW team....but Quebec definitely needs a team first IMO....

This. 

So I can support a team, I'm selfishly wanting City Football Group to come in and create a Toronto City team..but Quebec definitely needs a team first!! 

15 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Curious why you would view this as negative  ?  Didn't Halifax and Hamilton have supporter groups prior to having a club ?

The way Spinrack phrased it suggests that the (potential) team owners are the ones creating the supporters groups, as opposed to the fanbase getting together to do it naturally, which I suspect (though admittedly don't know) is what happened in Halifax, Hamilton, and other cities.

8 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

The way Spinrack phrased it suggests that the (potential) team owners are the ones creating the supporters groups, as opposed to the fanbase getting together to do it naturally, which I suspect (though admittedly don't know) is what happened in Halifax, Hamilton, and other cities.

The way that the Laval group announced it sure makes it sound like this supporters group is strongly tied to the as-yet-unconfirmed club.

To be honest, there is not a lot of information.  The supporters group has a twitter account, but haven't yet said anything beyond announcing that they exist.
https://twitter.com/ClanNord

Hopefully we have some positive news tmrw on this ^^^ 

I would say most big announcements come direct from the league first so this looks more like a bit of public pressure from the potential ownership on the CPL. However, the CPL doesnt really have the best current form of breaking news first this preseason. If new player signings/managers/presidents etc. Are anything to go by the CPL seem to be he last people to confirm!

On 1/18/2020 at 5:47 AM, Winnipeg Fury said:

Curious why you would view this as negative  ?  Didn't Halifax and Hamilton have supporter groups prior to having a club ?

Yup, "plastic" (corporate created "supporters groups") are offensive to me.

From what I have learned it is a real, grassroots supporters creation, so all good.