Jump to content
lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, BFBF said:

The results I found were that if a new stadium, is being used in conjunction with a new development or revitalization it is more successful. 

This is so true, except the former happens very rarely. 

I'm not the world's biggest pessimistic, but its wishful thinking new stadiums will be built solely for the CPL(atleast now). That's why I think future expansion is very dependent on revitalizing existing infrastructures(like West Hills, ATCO, Wanderers Ground)....or deep-deep-deep pocket billionaires are to throw some serious money into starting a team. 

When the CPL expands into the big cities, I think Lamport, Swangward, Claude Robillard are ideal spots.

Edited by Shway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BFBF said:

The results I found were that if a new stadium, is being used in conjunction with a new development or revitalization it is more successful. So Langford may be a good example of that. But so much of it actually just comes down to the contract agreement. In Rogers place example, the Katz group promised a minimum of investment in the area around the stadium, which sparked investment from all parties in that area of Edmonton. 

As for the New the vs. old team argument. Some teams add to an economy, and some take away. Lots based on salaries and structure of ownership, etc...

All this said, there are many intangibles as mentioned above. It is highly debated how much these intangibles actually affect anything. Being a general fan of sports I tend to appreciate the intangibles more than the average person. 

How is that part of Edmonton around the new arena now? I left just before it opened and I haven't been back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadian Premier League commissioner David Clanachan on season one, expansion and European support

“Overall I think we’ve performed well, and it shows in the crowds that we’ve had. We’re ahead of where we thought we would be, we’ve been able to answer all the questions that were asked. Now you go into season two, how are you going to get better, and what are you going to do for the next encore?”

“The good news is that we’ve got lots of growth on our horizon, it just takes longer than what most people think.”

Indeed, Clanachan confirms that three potential expansion clubs “are getting very, very close”, although he admits it would require “a bit of a Hail Mary pass” to get one of those teams set up in time for the 2020 season, with 2021 more likely.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/interviews/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-clanachan-interview-expansion-mediapro#.XfEEhT_BwDQ.twitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

“The good news is that we’ve got lots of growth on our horizon, it just takes longer than what most people think.”

 If he's honest, it's longer than Clanachan thought as well.🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and the text quoted above provides no firm assurance where 2021 is concerned, so maybe he has learned his lesson to a certain extent. Ottawa under OSEG would have been the easy one to do to reach eight and was probably the domino they were expecting to fall, but OSEG appear to have reached the conclusion that soccer is a money losing proposition at Landsdowne Park and not worth the aggravation. If there really is a $9 million expansion fee involved over and above the expense of putting in pop-up stadiums at venues like the Langley Events Centre or Prairieland in Saskatoon things could take a while and all the rhetoric about pro/rel by 2026 probably shouldn't be taken too seriously. Nice if it happens but don't hold your breath.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Northern Starting 11, article including who's in and who's out as American USL teams in Canada continue an exodus from the US league's and the Canadian League's look to expand and build our pyramid :

Expansion Tracker: Latest on 2020 & 2021

https://www.northernstartingeleven.com/expansion-tracker-20191213/

Highlights :

- Quebec, Fraser Valley, KW, Laval, Saskatoon, and Ottawa market info for D1 CPL.

- Elimination of American USL pro team presence in Canada as D2 Ottawa Fury franchise rights sold to Miami FC.

- USL amateur D4 Highlanders FC to move to new D3 League 1 BC for 2021.

- New clubs for D3 League 1 Ontario.

- Additions and subtractions for PLSQ.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

- Elimination of American USL pro team presence in Canada as D2 Ottawa Fury franchise rights sold to Miami FC.

 

The Fury were members of the CSA so were very much Canadian rather than American. It's not good for Canadian soccer to have a leading Canadian sports ownership group like OSEG exiting pro soccer completely with no obvious replacement in an Ottawa context and their reluctance to get involved with CanPL's business plan should prompt questions as to why. If Canadian soccer is going to go down this path we need to have a strong pyramid emerge that actually works better for Canadian soccer than the alternative of using USSF sanctioned leagues would have, so it doesn't wind up being a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Having OSEG and the Fury on board would have helped to achieve that outcome.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Fury were members of the CSA so were very much Canadian rather than American. It's not good for Canadian soccer to have a leading Canadian sports ownership group like OSEG exiting pro soccer completely with no obvious replacement in an Ottawa context and their reluctance to get involved with CanPL's business plan should prompt questions as to why. If Canadian soccer is going to go down this path we need to have a strong pyramid emerge that actually works better for Canadian soccer than the alternative of using USSF sanctioned leagues would have, so it doesn't wind up being a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Having OSEG and the Fury on board would have helped to achieve that outcome.

Would have helped but it ends up they were only on the board to feed information to the USL and MLS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason OSEG wasnt interested in CPL business plan is obvious...they wanted out of pro soccer.  I feel bad for Pugh, but the rest of OSEG seems to be more interested in other problems.  

https://o.canada.com/business/local-business/ottawas-abysmal-year-in-sports-why-its-so-difficult-to-build-sustainable-teams-here/wcm/b8916f85-6348-4110-a5fb-610bdf3ec21e

I didnt realize the Ottawa baseball team also closed its doors this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 12:40 PM, Ansem said:

What can he do? Pay for the upgrades himself. He got some tax relief already. 

Sorry, but I asked what Saputo wants to do.  The second question was asking if you know how other countries get things done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, SpursFlu said:

Every situation should be viewed as an individual case. To say No public money should be used ever to fund a stadium because someone made a funny video is a bit ridiculous. 

I'll preface my comment with this:  I am trying to avoid an argument, rather than start one.  I hope that comes across below:

I agree that each case is individual.  That's why I specified 'for billionaires.'   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Clanachan on Expansion (Dec 23rd) From "State of the Union"

How important is it for potential owners to have a stadium plan in place before they are granted an expansion franchise?

When we’re talking about stadiums, we cannot play a professional game on a field with football lines. We have to have a facility that’s available, and it has to be expandable and adaptable. We’ve shown that we can do a great job with those types of stadiums. Not everything is going to be a Tim Hortons Field or an Investors Field. We can do a good job by taking the stadium and creating a great atmosphere that engages the fans. The issue is where is it and how do we get to that level. You need a little bit of lead-in time to pull it off.

One of the things we did last year was we did a good job of getting clubs going and then we adapted as we went along. We don’t want to do too much of that. First year, you get a little forgiveness for that. We just have to make sure we’re in a good spot (going forward).

You mentioned expansion, so where do we stand with new teams coming into the league?

We have over 20 different regions, cities, potential owner groups that are talking to us. Over time some fall off and time will distill those that are really serious. (But) there are four groups right now that we are really excited about; I’ll say the West Coast, the middle of the Prairies, in (Quebec) and Ontario-based. There are some very interesting plays at large there.

That’s one of those things where the sun, moon and the stars all have to align and then it can happen. That’s the optimist in me, and the glass is always half full in my world – it’s never half empty. I think we’ve got a nice run up to 2026 where we’ve always said if we can be between 14 and 16 teams … that’s very doable by 2026.

https://canpl.ca/article/qa-cpl-commissioner-david-clanachan-on-the-state-of-the-union

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

David Clanachan on Expansion (Dec 23rd) From "State of the Union"

How important is it for potential owners to have a stadium plan in place before they are granted an expansion franchise?

When we’re talking about stadiums, we cannot play a professional game on a field with football lines. We have to have a facility that’s available, and it has to be expandable and adaptable. We’ve shown that we can do a great job with those types of stadiums. Not everything is going to be a Tim Hortons Field or an Investors Field. We can do a good job by taking the stadium and creating a great atmosphere that engages the fans. The issue is where is it and how do we get to that level. You need a little bit of lead-in time to pull it off.

One of the things we did last year was we did a good job of getting clubs going and then we adapted as we went along. We don’t want to do too much of that. First year, you get a little forgiveness for that. We just have to make sure we’re in a good spot (going forward).

You mentioned expansion, so where do we stand with new teams coming into the league?

We have over 20 different regions, cities, potential owner groups that are talking to us. Over time some fall off and time will distill those that are really serious. (But) there are four groups right now that we are really excited about; I’ll say the West Coast, the middle of the Prairies, in (Quebec) and Ontario-based. There are some very interesting plays at large there.

That’s one of those things where the sun, moon and the stars all have to align and then it can happen. That’s the optimist in me, and the glass is always half full in my world – it’s never half empty. I think we’ve got a nice run up to 2026 where we’ve always said if we can be between 14 and 16 teams … that’s very doable by 2026.

https://canpl.ca/article/qa-cpl-commissioner-david-clanachan-on-the-state-of-the-union

those locations match up well with the guesses made on this thread. noice. Ontario-based = K-dub?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Initial B said:

Don't know how Ottawa is possible unless Bob Young props up a consortium to run a team here, a la early MLS.

If OSEG is the best Ottawa can do in term of sports group than that city, truly is doomed and a sport graveyard.

I have faith that competent investors will make it work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Initial B said:

Don't know how Ottawa is possible unless Bob Young props up a consortium to run a team here, a la early MLS.

Isn't he already financially helping out Halifax?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Groovy.  The more teams there are closer to Halifax the better for them.  Places like Ottawa, or even better Quebec City would do.  OOP.  Might have that covered I see.

Any-who, you'd expect Kitchener would have a large enough catchment to support CPL (if it can be sold to the locals that is).   Guess the same old issue of venue exists.  If true, very curious to hear the plans.

Travel costs be damned the league is going to need to resist the temptation to schedule long road swings through Ontario.  Especially once London gets on board.  ☺️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Groovy.  The more teams there are closer to Halifax the better for them.  Places like Ottawa, or even better Quebec City would do.  OOP.  Might have that covered I see.

Any-who, you'd expect Kitchener would have a large enough catchment to support CPL (if it can be sold to the locals that is).   Guess the same old issue of venue exists.  If true, very curious to hear the plans.

Travel costs be damned the league is going to need to resist the temptation to schedule long road swings through Ontario.  Especially once London gets on board.  ☺️

 

I work in Kitchener and live in Hamilton.  Everyone in Kitchener-Waterloo that I work with follows the Rangers.  I think the centre is big enough and distinct enough to support a team IMO.  People in KW don’t feel GTA- they are their own city.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot in there I have not heard before.   Conditional franchise agreement at original fee??  The rights to kitchener Waterloo are owned by Bob Young??  This reddit dude sounds like he is dialed in and may have a few phones bugged somewhere.  Or talking out of his ass.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...