CPL new teams speculation

27 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Another way to look at it in realistic terms is that if there really was $20 million per year being pumped into league coffers from Mediapro would the salary cap really be as low as $750k given that would mean around $3 million per team?

We don't know what the cap is though. 

22 minutes ago, KW519 said:

We don't officially know the cap, but I don't think Ozzie is far off with his suggested 750k. Elliot Simmons leaving Halifax over a 5% salary increase would suggest the cap is pretty low.

A percentage doesn’t tell us anything about overall value. Regardless, I’d say that tells us more about their assessment of the player than it does about the cap. They could very well replace him with a more expensive player that they like more

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

A percentage doesn’t tell us anything about overall value. Regardless, I’d say that tells us more about their assessment of the player than it does about the cap. They could very well replace him with a more expensive player that they like more

Of course that's a possibility. If Halifax has plans in place to improve the quality for a similar wage that's great for the club. 

I just know i'm personally keeping decent young Canadians at my club if there's cap space available. They will more than likely replace him with a very similar talent at a cheaper wage 

Kurt Larson definitely said the cap is under a million on a One Soccer broadcast.

And if the league was getting $20 million per year on their "TV" deal, I am pretty certain they would advertise that. When they need to get people to believe their league is a big deal, why would they leave out a datapoint like that which indicates it is in fact a big deal.

Anyways, just a few days left in November, and we passed that 30 day mark that Ozzie re-quoted recently. I think I am officially not getting my hopes up for rumors of expansion announcements unless/until there is a countdown on the canpl.ca website.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:
This appeared on the league website twenty-five days ago:

2019-10-25
by
John Molinaro, Director of Content

...Clanachan touched on a number of other topics during Finals 2019 Media Day, and revealed that three groups are “very close” to landing an expansion franchise, although not likely in time for 2020. The commissioner said he expects to make announcements about future expansion teams in the next 30 days...

tick tock

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Barrie?

See the post by the guys behind elsewhere in this forum: 

It's just a supporters group at the moment. Much like the dozens of other groups across the country. No owner, no stadium, etc. They're aiming for L1O first and, like so many others, dream of CPL one day setting up shop in their city.

Not an expansion rumour. Just a bunch of fans saying "Please?"

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 8:07 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Another way to look at it in realistic terms is that if there really was $20 million per year being pumped into league coffers from Mediapro would the salary cap really be as low as $750k given that would mean around $3 million per team?

Yes more than possible. There's a lot of costs the first year or two or three 

Ideally Barrie folks should look to support York 9....Especially when they decide to move to their stadium further north. 

Its too close to Aurora to warrant another team/be sustainable but at the same time York "9" have limited themselves to a specific region. 

Although league 1 is definitely ideal! 

From what I remember Barrie was mentioned by Paul Beirne as a possible future expansion market in a podcast with a couple of FCE fans and David Clanachan is still talking up the pro/rel angle as a way to get smaller cities involved by 2026 or so. That may be the strategic vision, but if the expansion fee is really $9 million, most of the original seven appear to be viewing expansion teams as a way to recoup their investment and/or cover losses to an extent that is likely to severely slow the whole process down.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The league wouldn't be getting $20 million a year regardless, as the national teams are also part of the deal.  As a national team fan, I'll be mad as hell if it turns out they're getting screwed by this deal.

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the package of national team games that was handed over to CSB for 10 years are mainly the ones that have tended to wind up on webstreams on the CSA website in recent years. The rights that actually hold a lot of value are the finals tournaments and those are handled by CONCACAF and FIFA. TSN already has the rights to the 2026 World Cup, for example.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Ideally Barrie folks should look to support York 9....Especially when they decide to move to their stadium further north. 

Its too close to Aurora to warrant another team/be sustainable but at the same time York "9" have limited themselves to a specific region. 

Although league 1 is definitely ideal! 

Ideally York9 would get enough support from York Region that they shouldn't have to be drawing fans in from Huronia

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Ideally York9 would get enough support from York Region that they shouldn't have to be drawing fans in from Huronia

... Like TFC shouldn't draw fans from Durham, Peel, Halton, York, etc. I'm reaching? Probably! 

My argument is more related to that if Ontario expansion continues (which it will), im order for those teams to be successful it has to be done right. York9 represent the region of York, but play at a University in Toronto that is 14 minutes (north on Keele St - same street) from TFCs training ground. And the overall product is the worst in the CPL, when it should've strived to be the best. 

Now if they truly build their stadium in Aurora, my point is that "York9 should be targeting those North areas (Huronia). I just can't see Barrie being sustainable. 

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Y9 is the worst?? Have you seen Valor or Halifax play, HAHAHAHA!!!  

Really? C'mon man you read all of that, and took that. Isnt it obvious to know they arent the worst team on the field? Goes with out saying.....guess not. 

32 minutes ago, Shway said:

... Like TFC shouldn't draw fans from Durham, Peel, Halton, York, etc. I'm reaching? Probably! 

My argument is more related to that if Ontario expansion continues (which it will), im order for those teams to be successful it has to be done right. York9 represent the region of York, but play at a University in Toronto that is 14 minutes (north on Keele St - same street) from TFCs training ground. And the overall product is the worst in the CPL, when it should've strived to be the best. 

Now if they truly build their stadium in Aurora, my point is that "York9 should be targeting those North areas (Huronia). I just can't see Barrie being sustainable. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Barrie could be putting up at least the same attendance numbers as York9

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

We can hate York Lions current state but we have 7 teams thanks to it. You'd rather we only have 6 until they build in Vaughan? (They won't play out of Aurora)

TFC Training grounds has no effect on their current attendance. Most of North York aren't even aware of their existence, let alone the rest of Toronto while it's wishful thinking to expect people from York to commute midweek to Toronto, heck even weekends.

I get it but if ownership was willing to take a hit on attendances to be a founding club, then props to them and I trust they know what they're doing.