CPL new teams speculation

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think 3 MLS and 12 CPL just might be the sweet spot for Canadian soccer for the medium term. If 15 full-time professional clubs were supported by 4 semi-pro leagues (PLSQ with added Maritime teams, L1O, Prairie, BC), we'd be very well-placed to be a CONCACAF force consistently.

MLS - TFC, Impact, Whitecaps

CPL - HFX, QC, Metro Mtl, Ottawa, Y9, Forge, Valour, Sask, Cavalry, FCEd, Fraser Valley, Pacific

I have been leaning in that direction for a while and this seems to be the most commonsense solution. 

Using the CFL model for the CPL and using the CHL(junior hockey) model for 4 semipro leagues.

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think 3 MLS and 12 CPL just might be the sweet spot for Canadian soccer for the medium term. If 15 full-time professional clubs were supported by 4 semi-pro leagues (PLSQ with added Maritime teams, L1O, Prairie, BC), we'd be very well-placed to be a CONCACAF force consistently.

MLS - TFC, Impact, Whitecaps

CPL - HFX, QC, Metro Mtl, Ottawa, Y9, Forge, Valour, Sask, Cavalry, FCEd, Fraser Valley, Pacific

This is about how I see it unfolding as well.  I can't really see the league getting enough to teams to get to pro/rel, and also I don't think that matters.  It's a solid pyramid, covering every market at an appropriate level.

18 hours ago, Ian Kennett said:

How many CPL clubs can Canada handle? Is the player pool of talented Canadians large enough to support (insert number here) teams? Ideally, I would like to see some east-west balance to reduce travel costs and to create rivalries. Quebec City, Ottawa, Saskatoon, Fraser Valley, and ????? would make for a 12 team league. Should that be the target and by when? How high should an expansion fee be? It needs to be enough to reward the original seven teams, but not so high that it discourages or handicaps new clubs. Cheers!

I don't think the player pool is a factor for how many clubs the CPL can support. Community support is the key thing. 

Long-term, the CPL can handle as many clubs that can be adequately supported by the respective communities they are in. The player pool will take care of itself in the long run. 

I believe we are going to see many owners/communities dying to buy into this structure when the CPL stabilizes in the next ten years.  

35 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

I have been leaning in that direction for a while and this seems to be the most commonsense solution. 

Using the CFL model for the CPL and using the CHL(junior hockey) model for 4 semipro leagues.

No, we can do better than that. 

Edited by Macksam

This appeared on the league website twenty-five days ago:

2019-10-25
by
John Molinaro, Director of Content

...Clanachan touched on a number of other topics during Finals 2019 Media Day, and revealed that three groups are “very close” to landing an expansion franchise, although not likely in time for 2020. The commissioner said he expects to make announcements about future expansion teams in the next 30 days...

28 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:
This appeared on the league website twenty-five days ago:

2019-10-25
by
John Molinaro, Director of Content

...Clanachan touched on a number of other topics during Finals 2019 Media Day, and revealed that three groups are “very close” to landing an expansion franchise, although not likely in time for 2020. The commissioner said he expects to make announcements about future expansion teams in the next 30 days...

Someone should put up a 5-day countdown timer. lol

Been busy, but a couple of comments:

League Cup - Sure part of the idea is to make money, but the other part is to provide a measuring stick of the progress of mid-level MLS clubs vs their Liga MX counterparts. If Liga MX consistently wins the majority of CCL games but tends to lose most League Cup games, that would indicate that MLS has greater parity and possibly be argued to be a stronger league overall. These are metrics MLS FO actually cares about.

Club-supporting municipalities in Canada - I think Canada has enough talent to support 10-12 clubs at a Div1 level. That means I think CPL Div 1 should be capped at 8-10 clubs with Pro-Rel between clubs at Div2 and lower. I remember Clanachan saying that the league was designed about being viable in communities of +200K. There are about 10 Municipalities of >500K population (not including the big three), 15 Municipalities of >200K pop, and 13 Municipalities of >150K pop. That's 38 Municiplaities of which I'm sure we could get a competitive 10-club Div1 without diluting talent. The remaining 15-21 clubs would fight it out to get promoted from regional Div2 Conferences or act as stepping stones for players getting noticed by the Div1 Clubs.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

League Cup - Sure part of the idea is to make money, but the other part is to provide a measuring stick of the progress of mid-level MLS clubs vs their Liga MX counterparts. If Liga MX consistently wins the majority of CCL games but tends to lose most League Cup games, that would indicate that MLS has greater parity and possibly be argued to be a stronger league overall gets to play every game with home field advantage. These are metrics MLS FO actually cares about.

FYP

Last I heard they were trying for 10 teams in 2020.. Seeing as there's been no news I feel it's right to assume they will probably only have 7 teams again next term which is a little disappointing.

Cities I'd like to see the CPL expand into include: Quebec City, St. John's and a Niagara team or Ottawa. I would like to see a team in Saskatchewan but that province is just so dominated by hockey and football interms of sports I don't think there'd be a great amount of interest in soccer over there.

As a fan of FC Edmonton in the NASL era, this lack of expansion announcements is actually encouraging. With all the talks it is obvious that there are groups trying to join the league, the fact that they haven't yet because the league is waiting until they are fully ready is awesome. Many people will see this as a bad thing, but I don't. You want your expansion clubs to come in fully running and established behind the scenes and on the field. If a year is what it takes then I am all for that .

42 minutes ago, BFBF said:

As a fan of FC Edmonton in the NASL era, this lack of expansion announcements is actually encouraging. With all the talks it is obvious that there are groups trying to join the league, the fact that they haven't yet because the league is waiting until they are fully ready is awesome. Many people will see this as a bad thing, but I don't. You want your expansion clubs to come in fully running and established behind the scenes and on the field. If a year is what it takes then I am all for that .

So what are your thoughts about York 9? 

40 minutes ago, BFBF said:

You're not wrong and they should definitely take their time while expanding carefully.  But I guess I'd also say that it's probably been more than a year for a lot of them.  The commissioner wasn't speculating 8-10 teams for year one on just a whim, and while it's clear that they badly misjudged the Ottawa situation (this isn't me letting the OSEG for their role in this), I don't think he thought the league would be entering year 2 with only 7 (or 8, if Ottawa had joined) teams either.

Think the way to look at it is that they launched before they were fully ready because they thought the 2018 World Cup was the ideal timing for the team announcements.

Three out of seven are clearly struggling most of the time on actual attendance, three are doing OK most of the time based on what realistically should have been expected but are not where they probably really wanted to be to make the numbers work and one has been a success but with relatively low ticket prices limiting revenue somewhat. 

They need expansion teams to work well straightaway given that backdrop, so they are not going to rush through an eighth team just for the sake of having one.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 11/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, TFC2017 said:

Last I heard they were trying for 10 teams in 2020.. Seeing as there's been no news I feel it's right to assume they will probably only have 7 teams again next term which is a little disappointing.

Cities I'd like to see the CPL expand into include: Quebec City, St. John's and a Niagara team or Ottawa. I would like to see a team in Saskatchewan but that province is just so dominated by hockey and football interms of sports I don't think there'd be a great amount of interest in soccer over there.

They’ll be no St. John’s team

The commissioner said that the expectation would be a 12-14 team pl. which would be a good goal to manage the quality of the league. 

With that in mind, it’s essential that the cpl expand to Quebec in the near future. No just for more playing opportunities for French born players but to establish an identity of a full national league. 

Also you have to have centres which are stable economically and population wise and have the potential to develop a proper facility. 

Im going to say in the next 5-10 years you would see two divisions of 7 teams max

west - Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg/// Regina and/or Saskatoon + Fraser valley, Abbotsford, surrey 

east - Hamilton, York, Halifax/// Ottawa, Laval/Sherbrooke, Quebec City. Maybe Moncton since they have a facility available. 

But the expansion of the league is going to be determined by the quality of play. Which is going to be difficult to improve with the salary cap #s and the fact that a number of the current teams still need to establish a better attendance figure

stumbling block of Quebec City CPL team is the price of expansion team ?                                                                                                                            [Quentin Parisis] According to sources, several stumbling blocks for the arrival of a CPL team to QC. Price requested by CPL considered excessive. QC Soccer president mentioned $9 million in interview.

Edited by sajc
added

That sort of number on the expansion fee has also been mentioned on Reddit a lot by people who claim inside knowledge. Seems a bit bizarre to risk potentially scaring would be investors away with that given the way a Quebec team is likely to increase the size of the pie on sponsorships and broadcast money since it provides entry into the French language market.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot