lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

18 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Looks like other side was empty so less than 5100..former pros Clapin-Girard and Wiethaeuper-Balbinotti lead UQTR Patriotes to their first national championship

https://usports.ca/en/championships/soccer/m/news/2019/11/3154579008/finale-de-championnat-l-uqtr-souleve-le-trophee-pour-la-premiere-fois-grace-a-une-victoire-face-aux-carabins

Way to steal Ozzie's thunder.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Agreed.

I don't see TFC fans getting behind this at all. We already told the club we think in season friendless are stupid.

For comparison sake, the Campeones Cup in 2018 (which is similar in it's cash-grabby-friendly nature) drew 14k fans in Toronto. Hopefully the Leagues Cup draws even fewer fans. These things at best do nothing, and at worst distract from what's important.

Just now, Kent said:

For comparison sake, the Campeones Cup in 2018 (which is similar in it's cash-grabby-friendly nature) drew 14k fans in Toronto. Hopefully the Leagues Cup draws even fewer fans. These things at best do nothing, and at worst distract from what's important.

Or maybe TFC declines the invitation all together. That would be the best!

56 minutes ago, Kent said:

I agree. I don't understand why MLS continues with these lame gimmicky tournaments, especially when it's clear that fixture congestion is a big problem. The MLS playoff structure was trimmed down, and I assume that at least part of the motivation for that was to trim the schedule and wrap the playoffs up earlier. I would rather watch a big playoff game any day instead of a pointless match in a nothing tournament. MLS really has its priorities straight...

Not finished shitting on the 'Leagues Cup'.

Apparently it was so successful last year that they are expanding it to 16 teams!

Last year the attendances varied from 14,000 to about 22,500.

Honestly don't know why they bother.

31 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not finished shitting on the 'Leagues Cup'.

Apparently it was so successful last year that they are expanding it to 16 teams!

Last year the attendances varied from 14,000 to about 22,500.

Honestly don't know why they bother.

You’re forgetting TV. Mexican clubs draw huge numbers in the US and MLS is getting a piece of that pie.

I personally think it’s a useless tournament, but it wouldn’t be expanded if there weren’t dollars to be made.

8 hours ago, RS said:

You’re forgetting TV. Mexican clubs draw huge numbers in the US and MLS is getting a piece of that pie.

I personally think it’s a useless tournament, but it wouldn’t be expanded if there weren’t dollars to be made.

And there it is. It's all part of the Soccer United Marketing money-making machine.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-david-clanachan-touts-promotion-relegation-groundbreaking-draft-system/

...The commissioner is adamant the issue isn’t about finding potential ownership groups. He said the process “is not a hunt on our part, it’s being hunted.” Venues are the sticking point for Clananchan and the CPL. One of the biggest conditions the league will not accept is a venue with permanent American football lines...

... “I love the North Amercian football stadium up at Laval in Quebec City, but the lines are stitched in,” he said. “You can’t play professional football on a pitch that has stitched in lines, it doesn’t work for us.”...   

Good to hear that they are not going to compromise on that.

So the Quebec City ownership group will build their own? I hope they go the same route as Pacific and what Y9 wants to do by working with Bear Stadiums. 

Edited by Macksam

45 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-david-clanachan-touts-promotion-relegation-groundbreaking-draft-system/

...The commissioner is adamant the issue isn’t about finding potential ownership groups. He said the process “is not a hunt on our part, it’s being hunted.” Venues are the sticking point for Clananchan and the CPL. One of the biggest conditions the league will not accept is a venue with permanent American football lines...

... “I love the North Amercian football stadium up at Laval in Quebec City, but the lines are stitched in,” he said. “You can’t play professional football on a pitch that has stitched in lines, it doesn’t work for us.”...   

Good to hear that they are not going to compromise on that.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/there-must-be-28-teams-before-a-league-relegation-says-pfa-chief

I know that Clanachan has stated there are 18 interested regions that want to join the CPL so maybe 14 team D1 and 14 team D2.  

Just a thought.

11 hours ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

And there it is. It's all part of the Soccer United Marketing money-making machine.

Yes. Canadian Soccer Business operates in pretty much the exact same fashion.

I'm not sure why people are constantly surprised that corporations seek to make money.

14 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not sure why people are constantly surprised that corporations seek to make money.

Yes, but there are differing ways to do it. MLS is doing it the vampire squid way - wrapped around the face of soccer in the US, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money. 

MLS would never pass an sports ESG investing screen.

3 minutes ago, red card said:

Yes, but there are differing ways to do it. MLS is doing it the vampire squid way - wrapped around the face of soccer in the US, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money. 

MLS would never pass an sports ESG investing screen.

I guess I'm not naive enough to believe CSB wouldn't act in exactly the same manner if given the opportunity. Unfortunately for them, Canada doesn't have an equivalent to the huge number of Mexican-Americans that help make up the soccer-loving public in the U.S.

I'm not even saying that making money off soccer is bad, by the way. SUM has done a ton of good for the game in the U.S. 

Regardless, we shouldn't be so gullible as to think that CSB was created from purely altruistic motives. 

6 minutes ago, red card said:

No idea how accurate that is, but it is beautiful. 

47 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not surprised. My opinion is why don't we suck blood instead of getting our blood sucked?

Campeonese Cup is just a a way for the MLS to try and get money from the Mexican American market. Just like US soccer plays endless games against Mexico and 80% of the crowd are cheering for Mexico. American sports marketing basically wants to market this sport to those people, this sport to those people and this sport to those other people over there. Canadians don't fit in to any of their marketing demographics. They basically would rather we didn't really exist because we don't fit in to any of their buckets. And us being better than them really doesn't fit their little storylines

Edited by SpursFlu

To be fair, I wouldn't be against some sort of friendly tournament or just one off in-season friendlies for CPL teams. CPL is at a different place than MLS. MLS is more mature and should get over that infatuation in my opinion. CPL still needs to collect eyeballs (and money) any way possible in the near to medium term.

MLS should focus on other things like not playing during international windows, and trying to do what they can to build CCL winners.

22 minutes ago, red card said:

Yes, but there are differing ways to do it. MLS is doing it the vampire squid way - wrapped around the face of soccer in the US, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money....

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that as things stand revenues generated off the CWNT are being siphoned through CSB to help prop up a men's national pro league that has no plans for a women's national league beyond a vague stated aspiration to set something up in future. The problem with expecting too much out of CSB is that we don't have something comparable to sanctioning Mexican international and club games for a domestic audience of 12 million Mexican-born immigrants and the second and third generations that are still into soccer available. If we did you can be sure that the CSA and CSB would be exploiting it to generate as much money as possible.

30 minutes ago, RS said:

I guess I'm not naive enough to believe CSB wouldn't act in exactly the same manner if given the opportunity. Unfortunately for them, Canada doesn't have an equivalent to the huge number of Mexican-Americans that help make up the soccer-loving public in the U.S.

I'm not even saying that making money off soccer is bad, by the way. SUM has done a ton of good for the game in the U.S. 

Regardless, we shouldn't be so gullible as to think that CSB was created from purely altruistic motives. 

I have no issue with them making money. More power to them.

This entire debate started because someone mentioned that TFC deserved to start the Voyageurs Cup in the semi-finals so they can take part in the Leagues Cup.

To which my response is no ******* way.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I have no issue with them making money. More power to them.

This entire debate started because someone mentioned that TFC deserved to start the Voyageurs Cup in the semi-finals so they can take part in the Leagues Cup.

To which my response is no ******* way.

I agree with that. No team should be given a bye into the semis.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:09 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that as things stand revenues generated off the CWNT are being siphoned through CSB to help prop up a men's national pro league that has no plans for a women's national league beyond a vague stated aspiration to set something up in future. The problem with expecting too much out of CSB is that we don't have something comparable to sanctioning Mexican international and club games for a domestic audience of 12 million Mexican-born immigrants and the second and third generations that are still into soccer available. If we did you can be sure that the CSA and CSB would be exploiting it to generate as much money as possible.

Besides trying to leech off the Mexican national team and ligaMX, SUM also has been charging probably the highest ticket prices in the world for mens' friendilies involving Mexico and also the US. Maybe charging US$300 for Mexico is warranted but not for the US. They were charging more than world champions France this past summer. 

They also benefitted greatly from hosting Copa America 100. They tried again to host this tourney but fortunately was slapped down by CONMEBOL.