lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, it depends if they want to reward V Cup play or league play.  History would suggest V Cup play (TFC got the semi-final bye for winning the V Cup, not for MLS results), but you raise a legit argument for why it should go to Forge.

It will be interesting how it goes, but I think last year was the first time that a team gave an edge to the V's cup winner where it was clear. Usually League play is the first factor.

The CSA seemed to build this year's bracket for future expansion, and I'd be surprised if they abandoned the format so quickly (crazier things have happened though).

What I think we'll see:

QR1
2 x CPL
L1O
PLSQ

QR2
2 x QR1
4 x CPL

QR3
3 x QR2
1 x CPL
2 x MLS

SF
3 x QR3
1 x MLS

F
2 x SF

Essentially, one less matchup in QR1, and one more bye into QR2.  How they'll assign those is anyone's guess (league table vs cup results).  Probably easiest to assign everything by league results (with the exception of the Impact into that SF bye).

I'm sure these forums would love if Forge (lost QR2 to Cavalry) was seeded ahead of Cavalry (2019 semifinalist).

8 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

The CSA seemed to build this year's bracket for future expansion, and I'd be surprised if they abandoned the format so quickly (crazier things have happened though).

What I think we'll see:

QR1
2 x CPL
L1O
PLSQ

QR2
2 x QR1
4 x CPL

QR3
3 x QR2
1 x CPL
2 x MLS

SF
3 x QR3
1 x MLS

F
2 x SF

Essentially, one less matchup in QR1, and one more bye into QR2.  How they'll assign those is anyone's guess (league table vs cup results).  Probably easiest to assign everything by league results (with the exception of the Impact into that SF bye).

I'm sure these forums would love if Forge (lost QR2 to Cavalry) was seeded ahead of Cavalry (2019 semifinalist).

I am not sure I would take last year’s format as the plan going forward.  Giving TFC (cup holder) a bye into the semis was a ridiculous decision that should be changed - as was the idea of bringing in CPL clubs at different stages.  The introduction of the USL team at a later stage was also poor IMO, but that seems to not be an issue this year. 

Tou may be right, but I would be disappointed if they retained the worst parts of the format. 

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not sure I would take last year’s format as the plan going forward.  Giving TFC (cup holder) a bye into the semis was a ridiculous decision that should be changed - as was the idea of bringing in CPL clubs at different stages.  The introduction of the USL team at a later stage was also poor IMO, but that seems to not be an issue this year. 

Tou may be right, but I would be disappointed if they retained the worst parts of the format. 

I agree the semi bye was ridiculous, but that didn't stop them from doing it - and with fewer teams this year, there's even less of a reason to get rid of a late-round bye.  Maybe they got the feedback but there was probably pressure from MLS/TFC for fewer games.

They also seemed to like marketing building the cup through successive rounds, so I'd be surprised if they got rid of that aspect.

1658272249_cpl2020vcup.png.e59625918c0579368f2294ff4237e7c5.png

Ugly but it works.

Edited by Gopherbashi

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Definitely sleeker, but I don't think your big teams would be overjoyed at being only one round away from the D3 minnows (or even facing them right away, as in Cavalry's case)

cpl 2020 v cup straight.png

batman dc GIF

I am not from Ottawa, but I would rather Ottawa take next year off and play in CPL in 2021, than have them play in USL both those years.

If they are for real folding permanently, first off, my condolences to Fury fans, but also it would be pretty ironic that the team that didn’t think CPL was stable enough would be the first team to fold.

16 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Good one!

as for the statement about taking a hiatus for 2020, that’s interesting cause they already have my money for the 2020 season...  

Unscrupulous sports teams (London Lasers in 1990 fell into this category so have watched this unfold first hand) tend to collect season ticket money before folding up shop because just after renewals and after player contracts are up is often when they tend to be at their most positive in cash flow terms. Hope you get a refund, if the worst comes to the worst.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

21 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess I was misreading. I took it to mean play in USL in 2020 and then cease operations (possibly required to get out of their obligations).  They would then resume in 2021 in CPL.  

But now that I reread, you seem to be right. If true, it would mean no footy next year.  I would still support it as the “Fury in CPL” endgame is still paramount IMO, but it would def suck for Fury fans.  

I think taking a year off would be a business decision. Shut down, build hype for the CPL, re-brand and have a proper launch party. 

@JamboAl Unless OSEG have declared insolvency, they have to refund your money. 

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

I've been told by my Fury ticket rep that refunds are on their way and check out my email when I get home.

Got the email from John Pugh about my refund.  Maybe for this year, I'll buy a HFX Wanderers or Valour season ticket.

Edited by JamboAl

21 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I agree the semi bye was ridiculous, but that didn't stop them from doing it - and with fewer teams this year, there's even less of a reason to get rid of a late-round bye.  Maybe they got the feedback but there was probably pressure from MLS/TFC for fewer games.

They also seemed to like marketing building the cup through successive rounds, so I'd be surprised if they got rid of that aspect.

1658272249_cpl2020vcup.png.e59625918c0579368f2294ff4237e7c5.png

Ugly but it works.

Isn't it more likely that Toronto will get a bye than Montreal, if one team were to get a by? Montreal is playing in the Champions league, but that's over in near end of April. But Toronto qualified for the Leagues Cup, and that conflicts directly with quarter-final and semi-final weeks for the Voyageurs Cup (at least in 2019).

I'd think they'd have to give more than one team a bye or give Toronto a by to the Final, to avoid the conflict. Or move the tournament back to the spring (giving Montreal the bye).

Edited by nfitz

4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Isn't it more likely that Toronto will get a by than Montreal, if one team were to get a by? Montreal is playing in the Champions league, but that's over in near end of April. But Toronto qualified for the Leagues Cup, and that conflicts directly with quarter-final and semi-final weeks for the Voyageurs Cup (at least in 2019).

I'd think they'd have to give more than one team a by, or give Toronto a by to the Final, to avoid the conflict. Or move the tournament back to the spring (giving Montreal the by).

Montreal should get the bye over Toronto because they won the 2019 Voyageurs Cup, which I believe was the rationale for giving Toronto a bye in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Viruk42 said:

Montreal should get the bye over Toronto because they won the 2019 Voyageurs Cup, which I believe was the rationale for giving Toronto a bye in 2019. 

If that was the only issue, yes. But how does deal with the conflict between the Voyageurs Cup and Leagues Cup? No Canadian teams played in the Leagues Cup previously.

4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

If that was the only issue, yes. But how does deal with the conflict between the Voyageurs Cup and Leagues Cup? No Canadian teams played in the Leagues Cup previously.

I’m sorry, but there is no way we should be handing TFC a free spot in the semi finals of our national competition because they are in another competition.  If anyone gets it, it should be Montreal based on the results this year - but neither should get it because it is a ridiculous concept. 

Either the CSA should figure out a timing solution that works with other competitions that teams may be in (and as long as we have Canadian teams in MLS that includes their league cup) or the onus should be on TFC to use their squad to juggle the demands of the competitions they are in.  They absolutely should not be gifted advances through our national cup competition.   

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I’m sorry, but there is no way we should be handing TFC a free spot in the semi finals of our national competition because they are in another competition.  If anyone gets it, it should be Montreal based on the results this year - but neither should get it because it is a ridiculous concept. 

Either the CSA should figure out a timing solution that works with other competitions that teams may be in (and as long as we have Canadian teams in MLS that includes their league cup) or the onus should be on TFC to use their squad to juggle the demands of the competitions they are in.  They absolutely should not be gifted advances through our national cup competition.   

The best way to do it is, 10-8-4-2. The 7 CPL teams, 1 L1O , 1 PLSQ and a 10th team, maybe from BC or something would be in the first round. The 3 MLS teams would join the 5 first round winners in the QF ... as the CPL hopefully expands the format would change.

I would love to see a 40 team format , where its goes 32-16-16-8-4-2. This was the format used for the US Open Cup before it was greatly expanded which included all pro teams being entered. 

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Come on man, the Leagues Cup is a made up fake tournament. 

No way should the CSA go out of their way to accommodate it. 

I didn’t even know the League’s Cup was a thing that teams qualified for. I thought they just roped in some chumps that were willing to play in it. Leagues Cup should have to schedule around us. Either way, no matter when it is, TFC should send TFC II to that tournament if they aren’t able to just skip it all together.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Come on man, the Leagues Cup is a made up fake tournament. 

No way should the CSA go out of their way to accommodate it. 

Sanctioned by CONCACAF.

I'm just curious how it's going to fit in the schedule.