CPL new teams speculation

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

... Where only English and Spanish clubs can compete in the tournament. 

Not just - Impact can compete as well, if they qualify.

25 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

We have a version of Europa, it’s called the Concacaf League, this is different. 

Very much like the Europa League, with the lower teams going into it. The top six teams from the Concacaf League go onto the Champions League. The Concacaf League is more like a qualifier for the Champions League.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Like a square peg in a round hole.

I suppose one way they can do it, is start Voyageurs Cups a bit earlier, and stick to US Open dates, which gives 5 clear weeks. Ending the double-legged matches could help that - which are one thing when there's only 4 teams in the tournament - but could be 15 next season.

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

The europa of north America. 

No it’s not. The Europa of North America is CONCACAF League. The Leagues Cup is too absurd to have a parallel. The idea is that the best teams from MLS excluding the Champions League teams play a tournament against the best teams in Mexico excluding the Champions League teams play a meaningless tournament in an effort to grab cash from fans.

This reminds me of the old SuperLiga tournament held between MLS and Liga MX teams around ten years ago, except lamer because it won't have the best teams from either league in it. Honestly, given all of the issues regarding fixture congestion and what not, we don't need tournaments such as these. If the time exists to hold meaningless tournaments, then the same time also exists to throw in additional matches in the Canadian Championship, as an example.

It’s almost concerning that they still haven’t 100% ruled out a new team for 2020. Assuming of course he isn’t thinking about a Fury revival so quickly. Presumably they aren’t since I gather they are in the process of refunding season ticket holders.

The CanPL press release about the Fury did state that the door remains open, so from a CanPL perspective that probably still makes Ottawa a viable eighth market for 2020. Given there's potential scope for litigation on what has happened there, it could just be a case of going through the motions on what they need to be seen to do. The time to announce any 2021 expansion sides would be early May at the 2020 CSA AGM, if normal protocol is followed.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, Mikmacdo said:

The europa of north America. 

Not even close. Last time I checked, the Europa League had teams from more than two leagues.

The Leagues Cup is an annual association football competition between clubs from Major League Soccer and Liga MX in North America. It debuted in July 2019 with four teams participating from each league. The first edition was a single-elimination tournament hosted in the United States with a final played in Las Vegas on September 18, 2019.(Wikipedia)

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Another club in Montreal would NEVER work 🙄

CEPSUM packed for the UdeM Carabins vs. UQTR Patriots 

20191110_204839.jpg

I was at that game this afternoon and the atmosphere was electric and the Ultras Montreal cheered the Carabins on.

The REM line is to have a stop at Edouard Montpetit and the CEPSM at 1500 seats MAY work for a CPL team and with the REM train maybe bring in spectators from the West Island and the northern parts of Montreal around the Blue Line.

BUT I know the Bunbury team will end up in Laval.

And Clanahan has stated that Quebec could have 3 teams in the CPL : Greater Montreal, Quebec City and ?????????(Sherbrooke??)

3 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

I was at that game this afternoon and the atmosphere was electric and the Ultras Montreal cheered the Carabins on.

The REM line is to have a stop at Edouard Montpetit and the CEPSM at 1500 seats MAY work for a CPL team and with the REM train maybe bring in spectators from the West Island and the northern parts of Montreal around the Blue Line.

BUT I know the Bunbury team will end up in Laval.

And Clanahan has stated that Quebec could have 3 teams in the CPL : Greater Montreal, Quebec City and ?????????(Sherbrooke??)

This would be an ideal CPL D2 team like in France. Paris FC in Ligue 2 while PSG is in Ligue 1

15 hours ago, Kent said:

And the Europa league doesn’t have a single host nation.

I'd assume there'd be at least 2 nations, with TFC playing at BMO Field - presumably one of the games in the 20-game ticket package for 2020.

Edited by nfitz