lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

I was at the Barton Street Battalion fan appreciation night last night, it was a really good time, One Soccer hosts were there and they did an open forum taking questions from the floor, it was interesting to hear responses to some good questions that were asked! David Clanachan was there and delivered a state of the union type speech, no real specifics yet about new teams or Ottawa, he did mention there are lots of interested groups but lack of viable stadiums remains a challenge! I got a chance to have a real good chat with a couple of Forge players (Samuel and Owundi) who are both suspended today, some real interesting insight to how the team trains, going to Central America to play and how they see the league! Finally the Commissioner is a real champ in my eyes, he handed me a fistful of free beer tickets!👍

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting.  Which city do you envision Atlanta United relocating to? 😉

......meaning nobody heard anything until the team was announced.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer/free-kicks-cpl-commish-reveals-expansion-plans-in-near-future

DC in another interview talking expansion.

The author says Fraser Valley and Mississauga, along with Ottawa, still a possibility for next season.

The CPL commissioner divulged Friday the seven-team loop is likely to grow by two or three teams for the second season.

Think Mississauga, Ont., and Langley, B.C.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Where would they play in Mississauga?

...is the obvious indication that the journalist is probably clueless. Don't doubt there are at least two at an advanced stage but it is much more likely to be for 2021 or later (stadium related reasons if delayed longer than a year) than 2020 because why would they not have announced it already otherwise?

6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Where would they play in Mississauga?

Today, nowhere. Ideally, a stadium is built around Square One mall (Mississauga's downtown, transit hub, city hall and where 20k showed up to watch the Raptors) but need to get the land before the condo guys. 

City is doing a stadium feasibility study but I haven't heard too many updates.

19 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I’m betting most of the people complaining about negativity on here are soft and weak millennials.

Congrats on posting the most Boomer thing ever written on these boards.

20 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I’m betting most of the people complaining about negativity on here are soft and weak millennials.

He's just mad that Millennials are now the biggest voting bloc and probably didn't get the result he wanted 

#notsorry

On 10/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, DrFitzpatrick said:

This "soft and weak millennial" built a 400 person supporters group from scratch in a city that had no supporters presence in 2015.

I'll make people here a deal. The day Ozzie is banned, I will come back and post on a regular basis. And constructive conversation, not just the mudflinging I've been doing over the last year because I know nothing will happen. I'd like to think that the person running a CPL supporters group in a city that has limited presence on this board would be more valuable to the conversation than someone who counts butts in seats at every CPL game and waits for the league to fail.

Maybe that's just my entitled millennial self though...

Edited by shermanator

Paul Beirne posted a pic of Varsity Stadium this week on social media with the comment would this not be a good CPL stadium. Wonder if he is teasing something as we know he is leaving his post as CPL president? I am not sure what I think about a downtown CPL year at this point in time considering York is still trying to find their footing but could be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Paul Beirne posted a pic of Varsity Stadium this week on social media with the comment would this not be a good CPL stadium. Wonder if he is teasing something as we know he is leaving his post as CPL president? I am not sure what I think about a downtown CPL year at this point in time considering York is still trying to find their footing but could be interesting. 

I'm dreaming and always said it. 

"Yorkville"

They would be my team...or North York...

IMG_20191018_130639.jpg

Edited by Ansem

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm dreaming and always said it. 

"Yorkville"

They would be my team...or North York...

IMG_20191018_130639.jpg

Being in the centre of the city would be something but I still think Lamport would be the better route with size and lack of a track but who knows. 

Just now, Cblake said:

Being in the centre of the city would be something but I still think Lamport would be the better route with size and lack of a track but who knows. 

Bloor-Yonge is hard to beat in terms of traffic, transit and potential walk-ins.

Of course...Very deep pocket needed to get this to fly and U of T to agree to it

I loved Varsity. Loved the brick. Loved the benches. Loved the contained seating. Loved the surprisingly strong atmosphere. Loved the old European men smoking cigarettes outside the gates.

New Varsity is open, empty and soul-less post reno.  It has none of that.  It might be suitable for CPL, in the same way York Lions stadium is suitable.

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Here's Google Translate's butchered translation of the highlighted paragraphs for any English-only readers/speakers. It's not perfect, but it gets 90% of the ideas across:

The 29th recommendation states that "the transfer of the PLSQ to the CPL must be analyzed according to concrete proposals". Important element "the interest of CPL to manage and possibly acquire the PLSQ is part of their development logic." As a result, is the case already heard? Not quite since it is important "to avoid a wind of gust to get rid of an activity that could have a role and an important vocation if restructured in the right way." "Management delegated over a few years would probably be preferable to an outright assignment that deprive Soccer Quebec of the only lever it has in professional soccer," the report continues. If such an operation were to be conducted "it is important to consider the investments already made both by the Federation and by the clubs for nine years" and "a discussion with the clubs will be necessary."

The rumors of the establishment of a CPL team in Quebec also seem to be confirmed since this perspective is mentioned in the report. It states "Soccer Quebec must facilitate the arrival of a CPL team in Quebec, preferably and initially, in the City of Quebec" or "groups of potential investors are already on the go . "

What one might call PLSQ trusteeship could perhaps improve the conditions in which the teams evolve. The report explains that "the university network offers a framework for athletes that seems more professional than that of the PLSQ", due to the fact that "displacements are mostly by bus charters while most teams in PLSQ move with the cars of the team members, sometimes by school bus and be little worthy of a professional circuit. " University matches are quarreled at better stages than those of the PLSQ.

10 hours ago, narduch said:

Not really a fan of the running track.

Is the CPL ready to go right into the heart of an MLS city?

I don't want to see anymore running tracks in the CPL. 

I personally think a Toronto CPL team could survive around TFC. It just requires the proper marketing positioning/investment/location from the the jump. It can't be done ameteurish. 

Lamport could definitely work(if there isn't any MLSE and City OF Toronto deals) , it just needs an investment worth talking about.