lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Last night showed what thirteen seasons of MLS in Canada have done for the quality of the national team. Hopefully CanPL will get through its current rough patch, figure out what it needs to adjust and go from strength to strength in the years ahead with many new strong expansion franchises/clubs emerging so that the totality of Canadian soccer will continue to improve.

Many Americans complaining after last night that there were too many MLS players on their NT.

Rough patch? I know your a glass half empty guy but is that how you seriously see our D1 league after its largely successful launch and first season?

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some people on here still seem to have a pathetic CanPL vs MLS/USL mentality rather than wanting the totality of Canadian pro soccer to succeed.

If you honestly do want the totality of Canadian pro soccer to succeed, you sure have a weird damn way of showing it. 

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

For the naysayers who dont understand how complex getting the stadium part truly is...

No joke...this is unbelievably hard and the parrots saying that "CPL owners should just build downtown" don't understand the complexity of municipal politics and urban planning.

No serious city gives up downtown prime land away without MASSIVE add-ons by the sport team, meaning you have to throw lots of extras to make it an offer they can't refuse.

Has nothing to do with CPL going through a rough patch or investors reconsidering. The silly things some people say...

All true.  But CPL optimists also talked non-stop about the "wave of pop-up stadiums" that would just be springing up all across the country to accommodate the CPL.  None of it's easy.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

All true.  But CPL optimists also talked non-stop about the "wave of pop-up stadiums" that would just be springing up all across the country to accommodate the CPL.  None of it's easy.

True because you need land and not many cities would be as generous as Halifax to provide/lease public land in such a prime location.

Even if an ownership acquires land, the city might not have zoned it for that purpose.

That's why it's dragging for expansion. It's hard to navigate this issue.

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Many Americans complaining after last night that there were too many MLS players on their NT.

And what's that supposed to prove? They have ten times our population. For every player like Alphonso Davies that we have at a club like Bayern Munich they could reasonably expect to have ten players of similar calibre at a similar sort of level over in Europe. If they did, there would be very few MLS players in their starting XI.

Edit: {interesting graphic from Reddit on the background of national team players, which helps explain why it doesn't work like that}

RHgs6opRZE5IhNUpkmMevQd4gRMNDBXnIPUptJUs

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Rough patch? I know your a glass half empty guy but is that how you seriously see our D1 league after its largely successful launch and first season?

What's your point? I am not a paid shill, so if I see the last six weeks of the season becoming stale with fans drifting away because nothing much is at stake due to the two team playoff format, I am going to post about what is actually happening. Hopefully they make the adjustments needed to avoid that ever happening again.

Beyond that we have two D1's active in Canada and the flagship for our sport in media interest terms is MLS, which means it is our top domestic league de facto in much the same way the NHL is for hockey, the NBA is for basketball and MLB is for baseball. The best thing that could happen next season is for people to drop the whole CanPL vs MLS/USL mentality and accept there is a place for both.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sports/local-sports/cpl-commissioner-clanachan-elated-with-inaugural-season-364136/

...Clanachan is a proponent of expansion but wouldn't confirm if more teams would be added for 2020.

"We have a number of pots on the stove that are on different levels of boil," he said.

"I need to make sure I don't rush them in. I don't want them to fall. We're getting some tremendous interest."

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Beyond that we have two D1's active in Canada and the flagship for our sport in media interest terms is MLS, which means it is our top domestic league de facto in much the same way the NHL is for hockey, the NBA is for basketball and MLB is for baseball. The best thing that could happen next season is for people to drop the whole CanPL vs MLS/USL mentality and accept there is a place for both.

gotta quote this before he can change it..but he wont anyway

I honestly don't understand what he is doing here.

Seems he is only interested in tearing down the CPL and proving that he was right all along and that he is smarter than everyone else.

I never see him post about MLS, the Fury or even the National teams in the other sub forums.

He is infatuated with the league failing, just to tell a bunch of strangers on the internet that he was right?

Edited by narduch

37 minutes ago, Big_M said:

gotta quote this before he can change it..but he wont anyway

Why would I want to change the blindingly obvious? MLS has three Canadian teams and is around Championship to lower Premiership level in quality in English terms while CanPL is around Conference National to lower end of League Two level. That makes MLS the top league operating in Canada in de facto terms. That's the way the media sees it, which is why CanPL gets very little coverage on national sports media outlets.

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

...He is infatuated with the league failing, just to tell a bunch of strangers on the internet that he was right?

In reality, I have consistently suggested changes that could be made to make the league work better because I want all of Canadian soccer to succeed and have been very upbeat about what has happened in Halifax. Take a look around you at the next York 9 game you go to and check how busy it is. Then compare with what a TFC game is like. Are the rabidly anti-MLS views that get peddled on here really in tune with the average Canadian soccer fan once you move beyond the bubble that is this subforum?

18 minutes ago, Big_M said:

why is the owner of this site not removing such a destructive person?

I would think that it is because he hasn't really done anything wrong.  I also disagree with him often but he is on the receiving end of more direct attacks than he ever gives out.  

Sure, good conversation is often interrupted with needless attendance counts or accusations that the club/league is going to fold after one season but to ban based on a differing of views is unwarranted. 

43 minutes ago, Big_M said:

why is the owner of this site not removing such a destructive person?

I think, technically, he is not in breach of any of the forum's rules. So long as he continues to tread along that path, under what grounds would he be removed?

We may not like what he has to say, and he may be repetitive to a fault, but he's not abusive (although he occasionally provokes abuse, which I, as a mod, occasionally need to issue "warnings" to address). Being repetitive & dismissive is not a bannable offense, imo. Nor, given rationale & well-supported (though exceptionally choosy on sources) posting, with an overall view of improving the Canadian game (albeit in a starkly different manner), does he appear an outright troll.

It's a pretty fine line, but ultimately, as I haven't seen any individual posts that specifically warrant a warning (let alone a banning), it would be abusive on my part to do so "out of the blue."

If you know of some posts that are specifically on the outside here, please report them so they can be examined & addressed by the mod-team.

I would like to refer everyone to the posted Forum Rules (click the link at the top, apparently doesn't open directly), as I (and presumably any other mods) use this as my guide. @admin may have more to say on this topic.

Edited by Rintaran
added note on forum rules

8 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

..or accusations that the club/league is going to fold after one season...

I haven't done either of those things at any point this season and only yesterday contradicted somebody on Reddit, who was trying to suggest that was about to happen.

at some point its not about rules anymore..if you lost members and current good posters are getting disappointed and frustrated which could lead to going elsewhere you should take action..otherwise you risk losing more and thats bad for your site..a new national pro league is here and you want to keep this negativity day after day hour after hour?

How many people have been driven away from this forum over the past two decades by the people who post mindless abuse at posters who disagree with them? It easily runs into the hundreds by now. The starting point should be that respect must be shown for other opinions. It is the people who are incapable of showing that respect and tolerating other viewpoints that destroy internet forums as viable venues for discussion and should be banned.

I quit for a few years because there was a certain pro-Argos poster who kept hurling abuse with no recourse.

I only came back because I was exited about the new league.

You can always put the Debbie downer on ignore if you like.

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

at some point its not about rules anymore..if you lost members and current good posters are getting disappointed and frustrated which could lead to going elsewhere you should take action..otherwise you risk losing more and thats bad for your site..a new national pro league is here and you want to keep this negativity day after day hour after hour?

I don't want that constant negativity around, but it's not my site.

Again, feel free to use the report button where it is appropriate so we may review posts that do not conform to forum rules. Additionally, you can always put certain users on ignore.

I defer any major move not covered by the rules, such as banning for dead-horse beating, to the site @admin.

At this point, I'd like to refer people back to the topic: CPL New Team Speculation.

If you wish to discuss changing, expanding on, or other queries regarding moderation, please start (or revive) a thread in the appropriate forum and be sure to tag the appropriate users so they're immediately made aware.

19 minutes ago, Big_M said:

That is called censorship and it would kill the forum far faster than any poster with unwelcome views.

If you don't like his posts, just put him on your "ignore" list.