lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I feel bad because I want to support Duane, he's one of the few guys in this country doing what he does but the majority of the podcast, when I used to listen, was opinion and as much as I like him, I'm not going to pay for his opinion.

I liked reading his articles, but podcasts (in my very limited experience with them) are too much of a time sink in my opinion. It's padded with conversational stuff and impossible to google the info you heard later on. Plus it sucks for linking saying "This here says the MediaPro deal is for $200 million!"

I supported him when he was writing articles by way of a donation towards this site, but I didn't follow him to podcasts.

As expected when its this late and nothing announced..hopefully at least a couple get in for 2021..and hopefully clanachan learning a lesson..looking bad now for talking about 10 in 2020

FFS, "highly unlikely a new team" from some goober on reddit that may or may not have heard the podcast.  This is news? No team for next year is barely CPL expansion news.  Did anyone actually listen and have any real feedback as to what was said??  

To be fair, the only new team that we could have seen announced soonish for 2020 is Ottawa Fury. If there was a true expansion team that came from a lower level or out of nowhere, it would have been announced already.

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

If there was a true expansion team that came from a lower level or out of nowhere, it would have been announced already.

I've always figured that for next year, if there is a new team to announce, or there is an announcement that there are no new teams, it will be made in the lead-up to, or during, the first championship game, Oct 26. That will be the most impactful time to announce a new team, and also a good time to bury the "no new team" story within the excitement of the finals, etc etc.....

9 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

I've always figured that for next year, if there is a new team to announce, or there is an announcement that there are no new teams, it will be made in the lead-up to, or during, the first championship game, Oct 26. That will be the most impactful time to announce a new team, and also a good time to bury the "no new team" story within the excitement of the finals, etc etc.....

It would be at the worst time for the new team though. I mean sure CPL could announce a team in a place nobody cares because they didn't talk about it there. IF they want to announce a team for 2021, yes, go for it,  so it allows the team to market itself for 1+ year before its first match.

The normal protocol is for new pro teams is for them to be accepted into CSA membership first at the CSA's AGM, so if there is no huge rush involved early May will probably be the timing on franchise announcements related to a 2021 launch. If the rumoured team #8 was going to be at the Langley Events Centre, I think they have probably made a good decision assuming Duane Rollins is correct and they are holding off for now. They need the next club/franchise to be added to be another Halifax rather than a Pacific or York 9 and a Greater Vancouver team in the very outer fringes of suburbia was high risk to be the latter.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They need the next club/franchise to be added to be another Halifax rather than a Pacific or York 9 and a Greater Vancouver team in the very outer fringes of suburbia was high risk to be the latter.

There's no franchise in the league

I honestly like Duane's work but that was some kinda ********. His "big news" was what we have been saying on this forum for weeks, maybe months: no new teams for 2020.  

That is a huge disappointment but I think the silver lining is that 2021 will see a team in the Lower mainland of BC and one in Quebec somewhere. That means everyone involved sees the league planning for 2021 which frankly is a huge win when you look a the number of naysayers who claimed the league wouldn't even kick off, then said it would fold in year one.

#seeyounextyear

Edited by ted
mis-typed "kick" LOL

What I remember being pointed out was that they were making life needlessly difficult for themselves on reaching 8 or 10 by excluding MLS affiliates and so it has proved. Could easily be Saskatoon at Prairieland as team #8 in 2021, if Joe Belan is to be believed. The success in Halifax means they shouldn't be scared of relatively small markets with no CFL team if the stadium location is favourable. Don't think they should do the lower mainland unless they get access to a suitable stadium location close to the Skytrain like the BC Lions training ground in Surrey that sometimes gets rumoured. A Quebec team would also probably have happened by now if it was easy to do from a stadium standpoint, so another year might not make much difference there.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

53 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What I remember being pointed out was that they were making life needlessly difficult for themselves on reaching 8 or 10 by excluding MLS affiliates and so it has proved.

Whitecaps 2 lasted three seasons before folding

FC Montreal lasted two seasons before folding

TFCII's best finish ever was third last before self relegating

This isn't exactly the type of commitment you are looking for when trying to build a national league

1 minute ago, Viruk42 said:

Wait, I thought USL wanted to keep the Fury? 🙃

As much as I refuse to support the Fury until/unless they move to CPL, its kinda hard to call them a reserve team. They don't exactly give a lot of playing time to most of the players that they take on. I am not even sure what the point of these loans are

58 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What I remember being pointed out was that they were making life needlessly difficult for themselves on reaching 8 or 10 by excluding MLS affiliates and so it has proved.

What has proved this? The lack of expansion for 2020 proves that they would have done better with MLS affiliates? Even if you can dig up some link somewhere that says Vancouver wanted to put a team in Red Deer or something for the CPL and weren't allowed to that wouldn't prove it. There are too many variables. Maybe FC Edmonton wouldn't have joined if MLS affiliates were involved. We know they didn't want to go to USL, so they have a track record of standing their ground. Maybe other teams wouldn't want to be involved either.

Nothing is "proved" by there not being any expansion for 2020 other than the fact that there won't be any expansion for 2020.

2 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

As much as I refuse to support the Fury until/unless they move to CPL, its kinda hard to call them a reserve team. They don't exactly give a lot of playing time to most of the players that they take on. I am not even sure what the point of these loans are

Worst of both worlds I suppose?