lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

You can take a look at the site - its a few items classified as trademarked for "Goods" so not club names.

As for the Lower Mainland stuff, you mean the old Port City FC stuff?

Does that still work for Langley Township, though? May or may not be in any way relevant, but an interesting thing I saw claimed on Reddit was that Peter Schaad now owns the rights to the Vancouver 86ers trademark and is trying to gain access to Swangard for the new BC D3 league with TSS Rovers moving to Richmond.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does that still work for Langley Township, though? May or may not be in any way relevant, but an interesting thing I saw claimed on Reddit was that Peter Schaad now owns the rights to the Vancouver 86ers trademark and is trying to gain access to Swangard for the new BC D3 league with TSS Rovers moving to Richmond.

No, don't see Port City FC working for Langley. That's why I checked for any new Trademarks, could still popup shortly before announcement if this happens though.

Would be great to see the 86ers in League 1 BC, hope it happens.

Yes, but the club name trademarks have been registered by the league's holding company, so the league still has Port City FC available to them for a Fraser Valley expansion team.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I think the only reason you look at a team for the Fraser Valley in 2020 is if you're trying to capitalize on the turmoil surrounding the Whitecaps.  But if you're starting a team on such (relatively) short notice, you're likely to just create turmoil with your own club.  Plus, the Whitecaps seem set to actually spend some money this off season, which means that the limited soccer talk from the msm in this market would be sucked up by that rather than talk of a new team.  

The rights for Fraser Valley are rumoured to still by held by the group that launched Pacific FC. If the league itself was going to collectively launch an eighth team to balance the schedule so they can have four games each weekend, this is probably the market to do it in, because it's not taking away an expansion fee, if that rumour is accurate. There are also probably enough CanPL level players playing in leagues like the VMSL and FVSL in Lower Mainland BC for it not to be a problem to get up to speed at relatively short notice in player recruitment terms. The major problem would be building a fanbase.

Yup, I know the rumours that the Pacific group has the rights to the FV team.  So you'd also be looking at them having to find a buyer for Pacific, because I'm not sure they could finance both.  I'd also dispute that you could find enough players in the VMSL/FVSL to be a competitive CPL team, if that's your primary source of players.  Then add in trying to rush a launch, and it adds up to a bad idea for 2020.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yup, I know the rumours that the Pacific group has the rights to the FV team.  So you'd also be looking at them having to find a buyer for Pacific, because I'm not sure they could finance both.  I'd also dispute that you could find enough players in the VMSL/FVSL to be a competitive CPL team, if that's your primary source of players.  Then add in trying to rush a launch, and it adds up to a bad idea for 2020.

The potential club has been worked on for quite a while apparently in the background so it may not be as much of a rush launch as it may seem.

As for a reason, the Caps recent turmoil has nothing to do with it - the reason is Metro Vancouver is a major media market the CPL wants to have a club in as its the country's Division 1 league, coupled with the fact there's a group wanting an expansion club here. The group no doubt thinks the market is big enough for 2 pro clubs (which it is).

Edited by CDNFootballer

I found this article interesting in light of all the speculation on using Lamport as a Toronto CanPL venue:

Toronto Wolfpack: Can Canadian club complete journey to Super League?

"I think it's growing," he said. "The area of the city where the stadium is - an area called Liberty Village - is a sort of a hipster area, Google have their offices there. It's a trendy, bohemian work area, but there's residential areas around there as well.

Just now, ted said:

I found this article interesting in light of all the speculation on using Lamport as a Toronto CanPL venue:

Rugby has no competition while a soccer team would be next door to TFC. That's very risky...

I'd prefer Varsity or York Lions Stadium once York9 leaves for Vaughan to establish a North York Team

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Rugby has no competition while a soccer team would be next door to TFC. That's very risky...

I was just interested in the comments on Lamport as a facility. The idea of competing against TFC is certainly crazy risky.

1 minute ago, ted said:

I was just interested in the comments on Lamport as a facility. The idea of competing against TFC is certainly crazy risky.

I think Lamport would need lots of upgrades in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd prefer Varsity or York Lions Stadium once York9 leaves for Vaughan to establish a North York Team

What if you could merge all the various Toronto ethnic teams (Toronto Croatia, Serbian White Eagles, Ukraine United, etc) and form one Toronto team - Inter-Toronto - which could play at Varsity or York Lions Stadium??    At the same time you could abolish the unsanctioned CSL (plagued by a match fixing scandal)

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Impactsupporter said:

What if you could merge all the various Toronto ethnic teams (Toronto Croatia, Serbian White Eagles, Ukraine United, etc) and form one Toronto team - Inter-Toronto - which could play at Varsity or York Lions Stadium??    At the same time you could abolish the unsanctioned CSL (plagued by a match fixing scandal)

Just a thought.

Toronto Croatia doesn't exist anymore and the other teams play in a league that only exists for the overseas betting. There is no community involment or fans.

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Claims on reddit that Fraser Valley has just been finalized:

That's the sixth or seventh completely unsubstantiated time it's been finalized since May.

Please excuse me while I wait for something concrete before getting more excited for Pacific FC having a more natural rival.

Still, with both Laval & Saskatchewan now firmly delayed until 2021, they would appear the front-runner.

2 hours ago, Rintaran said:

That's the sixth or seventh completely unsubstantiated time it's been finalized since May.

Please excuse me while I wait for something concrete before getting more excited for Pacific FC having a more natural rival.

Given the sources we have heard from the question of the FV team is when, not if. I'm not at all convinced they can be up and running for 2020, but 2021, we are doing road trips!

If something is confirmed, whether its for 2020 or 2021 it doesn't really matter, pretty sure we're going to hear all about it during the Championship.  The people over at CPL HQ would be pretty near ready to explode trying to keep it a secret until then though.

32 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

I feel bad because I want to support Duane, he's one of the few guys in this country doing what he does but the majority of the podcast, when I used to listen, was opinion and as much as I like him, I'm not going to pay for his opinion.