lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Honestly have no idea what you are talking about. The optics of the Pacific vs FCE game on CBC on Saturday must have been horrific for you, if you still think there is some sort of rivalry for supremacy going on between the two leagues and that's where you are coming from with that. Personally, I'd like to see both leagues thrive in the years ahead and Canadian soccer go from strength to strength on that basis. CanPL is in a bit of a trough right now but there have been enough positives this year for there to be optimism that they can turn it around. Playoffs to keep almost every team having something to play for through to the end of the regular season is one of the things that MLS gets right and hopefully that will be a lesson learned for year 2.

You are the one bringing any supremecy BS into this.  The thread was talking about the CPL highlights getting on more TV networks. You brought up minor leagues etc.  

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

TSN kind of missed the boat by not out-bidding Media Pro.

It certainly would have been a bold and creative strategy on how to secure the network’s long term future once the boomers and older gen X’rs lose interest in watching broadcast sports. Perhaps they will make a bid in 10 years time when it’s time to renew.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

It certainly would have been a bold and creative strategy on how to secure the network’s long term future once the boomers and older gen X’rs lose interest in watching broadcast sports. Perhaps they will make a bid in 10 years time when it’s time to renew.

I can't remember the time lines but did they lose the EPL rights before or after the CPL deal was announced? 

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I think it was before.

Thanks

TSN is mostly owned by Bell. I don't think we could ever accuse our telecom companies as being forward thinking or very innovative. They are more followers if anything. 

On 9/15/2019 at 5:19 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

That is a massive problem.

Also trying to charge people $11.50 a month (roughly the same as Netflix) to watch CPL games is something that need to be reconsidered in the off season. To me the subscription should be free and they should be trying to distribute highlight packages to any TV network willing to show it. 

You need to reach casual sports fans and if we are being frank it is not really happening. No one outside the base core of CPL fans are subscribing to the service and way too few outside that core is getting any exposure to the league.

You're right, but I think it's more likely to go the other way.  That the price will go up next year, now that onesoccer realizes how low their subscription base is.  They and mediapro have to recoup their money some how.

People can blame TSN and Sportsnet for not showing highlights if they want, but I don't think they can let the CPL off the hook here.  The CPL chose the money option with mediapro/onesoccer.  We all knew that this was a likely outcome, and if you didn't then you were incredibly naive.  It's not unprecedented.  The NHL chose the Outdoor Network (and then NBC Sports) after their lockout, and as a consequence ESPN stopped showing anything.

12 hours ago, narduch said:

Thanks

TSN is mostly owned by Bell. I don't think we could ever accuse our telecom companies as being forward thinking or very innovative. They are more followers if anything. 

Exactly, it is like communications companies in Canada, they are all forged in the CRTC regulatory web and are basically gifted near monopoly status by our system. 

My brother, who is a communications expert of sorts, once told me way back that the Griffiths family could not run a hockey team effectively (the Canucks at the time) for success because communications sector was all about getting licenses and maintaining a status--there was no winning involved. Maybe this has changed slightly, but still. The commment always stuck with me since he hates sports, he was just analysing what kind of business person is most appropriate for the ownership of an entity whose goal is to win over rivals and show leadership. 

You'd need to have someone at Bell who really wanted to think outside the box, or someone at TSN allowed to, but then: what benefit would that give to the business?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

People can blame TSN and Sportsnet for not showing highlights if they want, but I don't think they can let the CPL off the hook here.  The CPL chose the money option with mediapro/onesoccer...

They were talking for a long time about changing the way soccer fans consume soccer so it looked like they were probably going to do the webstreaming thing in house before Mediapro came along, so it wasn't something that emerged completely out of the blue.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:29 AM, grasshopper1917 said:

I have heard people say that but in fairness i'm not sure that's the case. I shouldn't just assume that.

However even on the local sports casts in Halifax I have never seen a Wanderers Hi-light. That is something they should be pushing hard.

That's insane, considering the following that team has for the size of the city.  Who do the sports media people in Halifax think those people are that march to the ground waving flags?

Edited by vancanman

Maybe Onesoccer are asking too much money for other broadcasters to be willing to show them? I'm sure the local TV news outlets in Nova Scotia would want to show a goal or two when over 6000 are showing up. CSB signed over the rights so it might be more of a Mediapro issue than a CanPL one.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly, it is like communications companies in Canada, they are all forged in the CRTC regulatory web and are basically gifted near monopoly status by our system. 

My brother, who is a communications expert of sorts, once told me way back that the Griffiths family could not run a hockey team effectively (the Canucks at the time) for success because communications sector was all about getting licenses and maintaining a status--there was no winning involved. Maybe this has changed slightly, but still. The commment always stuck with me since he hates sports, he was just analysing what kind of business person is most appropriate for the ownership of an entity whose goal is to win over rivals and show leadership. 

You'd need to have someone at Bell who really wanted to think outside the box, or someone at TSN allowed to, but then: what benefit would that give to the business?

If you think of TSN and even CTV, all they really do is bully their smaller competitors with their buying power.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:19 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

That is a massive problem.

Also trying to charge people $11.50 a month (roughly the same as Netflix) to watch CPL games is something that need to be reconsidered in the off season. To me the subscription should be free and they should be trying to distribute highlight packages to any TV network willing to show it. 

You need to reach casual sports fans and if we are being frank it is not really happening. No one outside the base core of CPL fans are subscribing to the service and way too few outside that core is getting any exposure to the league.

Don't forget, they are picking up other leagues now.  Mexican, Chinese.......they are trying to reach beyond this base core of fans.

Fantastic pick-up getting LigaMX.  My kid and I watch it often.

46 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Don't forget, they are picking up other leagues now.  Mexican, Chinese.......they are trying to reach beyond this base core of fans.

Fantastic pick-up getting LigaMX.  My kid and I watch it often.

OneSoccer should go after the Dutch and Belgian leagues. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I doubt One Soccer is asking for any money to show high lights on the local news.

Even if they are it would be at the going rate that other leagues charge.

The more likely scenario is dinosaurs in the newsroom.

I am not sure about Canada, as the market has yet to turn into a dogfight, but in Spain certain channels do not show highlights, they show silly still images. Because I suspect they are unwilling to pay for highlight packages. I am talking about MediaPro controlled rights.  

You would imagine in a country where it would benefit you to grow the product that highlight reels would be made available at a lower cost.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not sure about Canada, as the market has yet to turn into a dogfight, but in Spain certain channels do not show highlights, they show silly still images. Because I suspect they are unwilling to pay for highlight packages. I am talking about MediaPro controlled rights.  

You would imagine in a country where it would benefit you to grow the product that highlight reels would be made available at a lower cost.

This happens here as well for events like the World Cup or Olympics.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

I doubt MediaPro is asking for any/much money to show highlights. People can watch them for free on the CPL youtube channel.

So we are back to the question of why the other networks wont show them....having the highlights on CBC sports, or sports net would do a lot for the prestige, visability and profile of the CPL.  How does it hurt them...CBC actually has a dog in the fight and would probably love to have more viewers when they broadcast the CPL.  

46 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So we are back to the question of why the other networks wont show them....having the highlights on CBC sports, or sports net would do a lot for the prestige, visability and profile of the CPL.  How does it hurt them...CBC actually has a dog in the fight and would probably love to have more viewers when they broadcast the CPL.  

Not sure about Sportsnet, but for TSN I suspect it is about self preservation and promotion of their footy property - MLS.  Showing highlights of another league that isn't available on their platform (and not so well known like the big global leagues or the CL that fans demand it) would generate interest in a league that represents a direct economic competitor to MLS in many areas. 

TSN's Sportscentre & Sportsnet Central have become promotional venues for their own sports tv properties and properties owned by Bell/Rogers/MLSE. So, CPL is way down the pecking order for them.

But anyway these nightly highlight shows aren't seminal viewing anymore for many segments. You can watch any specific highlight anytime you want rather than waiting up. And certain leagues like the NBA are basically highlight driven - a core part of their audience rarely watches a game but do keep up the league highlights daily on social media.

But local sports tv like in HFX not showing match highlights seems strange. Even more than sports network highlight shows, local tv sports reporting has become less relevant. So if you're not showing local sports, why even bother?

And all this time I thought it was their ( TSN, Sportsnet, etc) job (purpose) to cover/report sport in this country. Especially Canadian leagues. I guess I was wrong all this time.😡