Victoria CPL

9 hours ago, ktf said:

According to the Times Colonist this morning they will name a coach in the fall. Riley O'Neill is a leading candidate at the moment, but it says there are 3-4 leading candidates and others asking. O'Neill would certainly qualify as an attempt to develop young Canadian coaching talent. He also had a decent career, although nothing to write home about, in Europe for a Canadian who went through the NCAA. 

The article also mentioned Josh and Rob would co manage, which is probably a good way to save money in the early stages.

Heard that  Zanatta is also a potential coach, 

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Macksam said:

Victoria is awesome besides the fact the temp drops to plus 10 at night during the summers.....that's the only drawback. I told Ted about this.....the fact all your establishments only push local craft beers.....????

Yeah what exactly is the downside of that temperature drop? I'd love it!

On 7/22/2018 at 8:52 AM, ktf said:

According to the Times Colonist this morning they will name a coach in the fall. Riley O'Neill is a leading candidate at the moment, but it says there are 3-4 leading candidates and others asking. O'Neill would certainly qualify as an attempt to develop young Canadian coaching talent. He also had a decent career, although nothing to write home about, in Europe for a Canadian who went through the NCAA. 

The article also mentioned Josh and Rob would co manage, which is probably a good way to save money in the early stages.

Here is that article:
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/work-begins-to-build-pro-soccer-s-pacific-fc-team-1.23375853

Post links people. Click on those links people. The more people that read this news, the more coverage we will receive.

14 hours ago, nolando said:

So...we have heard four names mentioned as coaching/management candidates and none of them have coached or managed at the pro senior level?

I don't really have a problem with that. Obviously I wouldn't want to see rookie coaches throughout the whole league, but so far that isn't the case.

If they want to hire a young up and comer, good for them. I'm sure they will surround him with some experienced assistants.

From the article:

“We want a coach who is young, dynamic and innovative and who will help build the game for Canada as we look to 2026 [when Canada co-hosts the World Cup].”

I'm sure there's going to be at least a couple teams going the young and local route and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams turns some heads next year.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Here is that article:
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/work-begins-to-build-pro-soccer-s-pacific-fc-team-1.23375853

Post links people. Click on those links people. The more people that read this news, the more coverage we will receive.

Some people still have the physical paper delivered. Maybe I will scan the next one!;) But I do agree on encouraging the coverage!

Victoria now up to 148 (me). Tried to sign up earlier but my account glitched at the launch. Sluggish numbers but not surprising given the last-minute-ish origins of the club. Will definitely be motivating/pumping up/shaming/cajoling my O40s teammates and co-workers to sign up despite my lack of Twitter and my being lame at Facebooking. 

6 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

From the article:

“We want a coach who is young, dynamic and innovative and who will help build the game for Canada as we look to 2026 [when Canada co-hosts the World Cup].”

I'm sure there's going to be at least a couple teams going the young and local route and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams turns some heads next year.

Personally I want the players to be young, dynamic and innovative and the coach to have at least a little proper experience, no matter the age.

14 minutes ago, nolando said:

Personally I want the players to be young, dynamic and innovative and the coach to have at least a little proper experience, no matter the age.

Bingo. Coaches develop players - sacrificing a team of players for an under qualified coach is just dumb.  We don’t need a Canadian coach that’s the difference - we need Canadian players and hopefully enough passion to develop coaches naturally. 

When I read that coaches are included in the salary cap I hope that’s false - imagine losing a coach who is a brilliant developer so that you can hang onto a few outfield players? 

34 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Bingo. Coaches develop players - sacrificing a team of players for an under qualified coach is just dumb.  We don’t need a Canadian coach that’s the difference - we need Canadian players and hopefully enough passion to develop coaches naturally. 

When I read that coaches are included in the salary cap I hope that’s false - imagine losing a coach who is a brilliant developer so that you can hang onto a few outfield players? 

Would love to see a coach of Marcina's quality in this league, for instance, but the price point might affect things, especially if there is indeed a cap. 

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Why would a young coach automatically be under qualified? A new coach needs to be developed as well. That's also a goal of the league.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Why would a young coach automatically be under qualified? A new coach needs to be developed as well. That's also a goal of the league.

All you are going to do is screw around fans, disorient players (and NOT develop them) as well as ensure overall frustration for owners if you sign unprepared coaching staff. 

Proper GK and fitness experts. One or two assistants. And qualified head coaches with experience.

I was at Westhills today. 

As is, the stadium is a chaotic mess. It is in fact a bit similar to Langford itself, with very poor architecture in both housing and service/commercial buildings, but an obviously ambitious municipal vision, with nice gardening, road work. An attempt to create a town centre where there was none. Expanding subdivisions everywhere. Clearly an ideal location for soccer mom/dad culture, with new families galore.

The stadium main stand is ugly as sin. They have cheesy ads on it, which I am glad to see in the renders for the new place, are gone.

Resultado de imagen para westhills stadium stand

Crass box buildings are nearby on one end, they look like auto repair shops. There is virtually zero ambience at the spot as it now stands. Even the Rugby Canada facilities set back on one side are very unsightly. 

The field turf seems to me to be improperly installed. It is soft and extremely spongy, though it is new this past year. I was wondering if that was for the rugby played there, but Rugby Canada officials I spoke to said they hoped it would flatten out over time. 

There is definitely space to properly install stands on all sides, including endzones, there is more space than I imagined. The render setting one set of stands well behind a goal, to preserve a rugby endzone, is worrying, that would be a terrible way to watch a game, set back and down low. Both should be like the end where the stands are near the goal, over top of the end zone. 

The power pole is imposing and you can see why the cost of removal is high. The line of poles along that road is long relatively straight, no veering, it is not a modest installation at all. There are warnings for safety beneath it, along a perimeter fence to "protect" it. I seriously wonder why safety warnings are beneath a pole, and they think they can put a soccer stand so near to it. But yes, that pole is no small deal. 

The proposal to make this pitch grass, which I relayed to the rugby people there, seems to have not been considered by them. They said that it was year round, it worked well, it gave them more options for training, though even that winter it froze during a period and was too hard for them. 

Where, then, would a training facility go, if this pitch is grass? Very near is Goudy Park, below Belmont High School, a relatively new facility that is expanding so fast it has classes in trailers. That pitch is very good in comparison. Though the field turf is a bit older, the installation is nicely closed off, it has a stand that could hold maybe 600-700. It is literally 150-200 metres up the road from the Rugby Canada facility near Westhills. If they could set up a training facility on or near it, it would be the practice pitch, and Westhills on grass would be preserved for games. 

Goudy Park Langford.jpg

13 hours ago, Keegan said:

Not all coaches develop players equally. With the roster quotas in place there will be plenty of Canadian players. I also want to see an exciting league and if the dominant trait that identifies the coaches is their years of experience over their ability than I think we're not progressing as well as we could.

From what I understand there would be two separate salary caps - one for players, one for staff.

One thing that will be different about the CPL is the 4 games against each opponent; I think the most tactically astute team will perform well in the second half of seasons.

3 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

From what I understand there would be two separate salary caps - one for players, one for staff.

No, there will be one salary cap, for players. As if anywhere, at any time, on this planet "salary cap" has referred to the staff of a sports team. ?

The purpose of a salary cap is to make things on the field more "fair" and to prevent stupid spending by owners hoping to "buy" a trophy. Coaches and managers are important, perhaps crucial, but limiting their salaries is unnecessary. Even Jose Mourinho isn't going to make that much difference, and no one in the CanPL would pay him what he would ask.

"CPL commissioner David Clanachan, who was in Victoria for Friday’s reveal and launch of the Pacific FC franchise, said there will be a salary cap for both players and coaches."

Was he just misquoted? I think it's strange too but I remember reading it.

This is absurd. There is a huge difference between budgeting X amount for coaching, and a "Salary cap" as it is understood in sports. 

Is anyone involved in this league stupid enough to think they can win the league year one by paying crazy money to a coach?!?!

44 minutes ago, ted said:

This is absurd. There is a huge difference between budgeting X amount for coaching, and a "Salary cap" as it is understood in sports. 

Is anyone involved in this league stupid enough to think they can win the league year one by paying crazy money to a coach?!?!

Its to prevent the circumvention of the salary cap with a player coach making $50k as a player and $200k as a coach. 

43 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Its to prevent the circumvention of the salary cap with a player coach making $50k as a player and $200k as a coach. 

Why not mandated arbitration for player-coaches?  There are solutions beyond the extreme of a staff cap. 

Archived